SOLD: FS: Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a speakers

SOLD
Price: $1800
Item Condition: Used but excellent condition
Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Pickup available and you can audition.
Suburb or Town: Point Cook
State: Victoria
Payment Method: EFT, Cash on Pickup
Reason for selling: I have another similar pair of speakers

Further information: 

For the audiophiles, the BBC LS3/5a needs no introduction. Some 60,000 units were sold by 1990 by the various licensees of the original design. I don’t have more recent statistics.

It was first designed and manufactured by British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) for monitoring of its broadcast in the early 1970s. The design was later licensed to a number of commercial manufacturers including Roger, Harbeth and Spendor.

This particular version V2 (Limited Edition) was manufactured by Stirling Broadcast, UK under license from BBC in collaboration with Derek Hughes. Derek drew on his extensive experience of the LS3/5a which reaches back to his work for the BBC in the 1970s. He has achieved something very special by retaining the legendary sonic character of the original, capturing the much loved vocal abilities of the classic 15 ohm version, whilst combining this with the faster more modern sound of the newer 11 ohm. As a result this LS3/5a V2 has improved and extended bass response with greater handling of dynamics.

I bought the speakers directly from Stirling Broadcast about 10 years ago. It is my favorite speakers for vocal, chamber music and jazz for the last 10 years. Late last year, I sent the speakers back to Doug (proprietor of Stirling Broadcast) for servicing and have both the bass drivers replaced. They are as good as new now.

To find out the exact specification of the speaker, please go to http://www.stirlingbroadcast.net/ls35a_v2.html  Stereophile had an article on this speaker here https://www.stereophile.com/content/bbc-ls35a-loudspeaker-stirling-ls35a-v2-2007

There is a newer version of this speaker V3, details of which can be found at the Stirling Broadcast web site. It retails for GBP2195.

As far as shipping is concerned, I kept the original packaging box from Stirling Broadcast used in September 2019. If you are not picking it up yourself, I can send via post or courier as you wish. You will be charged the actual shipping cost.  

As a bonus, I am giving away the Cardas bi-wire jumpers I am using now as you see in the attached photograph. Of course, you will get the original bi-wire connecting rods too. I can also give you the current speaker stands if you were to pick up. Shipping is difficult as the top plate is glass and I don’t have the original packaging materials.

I will donate $100 to SNA if sold at $2000. But I will consider all reasonable offers.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

IMG_20200317_174102.jpg

IMG_20200317_174155.jpg

IMG_20200317_174224.jpg

Edited by mtan002
Price reduced
  • Love 1