Hi,

My existing AV Receiver Rotel RSX 1560 has died due to a power surge. I am looking at upgrading to the current model. I also have 2 Rotel 1582 running my front speakers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Expensive given features.

3 hours ago, Franp said:

Hi,

My existing AV Receiver Rotel RSX 1560 has died due to a power surge. I am looking at upgrading to the current model. I also have 2 Rotel 1582 running my front speakers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Expensive given features.

I would consider other brands with up to date auto room eq  features Frank rather than just manual PEQ[ parametric eq] like the Rotel . Unless you like to tweak with an external program like REW ; which has a steep learning curve and another outlay for a decent cal mike [like a umik ?]

With those balanced power amps you need flexibility to allow them to drive the bed channels if your considering a 7.1.4 atmos/dts-x setup otherwise the 1580 would be driving the main channels with only 100w/ch compared to 200w assigned to the ceilings which wouldn't be good..

Brands to look at include Anthem with the new upgraded Genesis ARC[ avm60] ; other brands with Dirac[NAD] or soon to get Dirac like the Emotiva XMC2[ on special locally atm for 4.5k - a lot less than the rotel] or Denon/Marantz with audyssey xt32 .

All these have varying channel driving capabilities from 7.1.4 up to 9.1.6 for a larger room so consider room size as well 👌

some also eschew unbalanced outputs just having balanced to simplify circuitry and things and have more of those channels [like Emo]

Thanks that's great! I didn't think I was getting a lot for my money.