Hi,

My existing AV Receiver Rotel RSX 1560 has died due to a power surge. I am looking at upgrading to the current model. I also have 2 Rotel 1582 running my front speakers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Expensive given features.

3 hours ago, Franp said:

Hi,

My existing AV Receiver Rotel RSX 1560 has died due to a power surge. I am looking at upgrading to the current model. I also have 2 Rotel 1582 running my front speakers.

I would consider other brands with up to date auto room eq  features Frank rather than just manual PEQ[ parametric eq] like the Rotel . Unless you like to tweak with an external program like REW ; which has a steep learning curve and another outlay for a decent cal mike [like a umik ?]

With those balanced power amps you need flexibility to allow them to drive the bed channels if your considering a 7.1.4 atmos/dts-x setup otherwise the 1580 would be driving the main channels with only 100w/ch compared to 200w assigned to the ceilings which wouldn't be good..

Brands to look at include Anthem with the new upgraded Genesis ARC[ avm60] ; other brands with Dirac[NAD] or soon to get Dirac like the Emotiva XMC2[ on special locally atm for 4.5k - a lot less than the rotel] or Denon/Marantz with audyssey xt32 .

All these have varying channel driving capabilities from 7.1.4 up to 9.1.6 for a larger room so consider room size as well 👌

some also eschew unbalanced outputs just having balanced to simplify circuitry and things and have more of those channels [like Emo]

Thanks that's great! I didn't think I was getting a lot for my money.

Hi Colin or other contributors I have been doing some research and I have narrowed it down to Anthem MRX 1120 and the new Arcam AVR20 or 30. I don't really need the additional channels.  

27 minutes ago, Franp said:

Hi Colin or other contributors I have been doing some research and I have narrowed it down to Anthem MRX 1120 and the new Arcam AVR20 or 30. I don't really need the additional channels.  

How many channels will you be using?

No doubt that Anthem with Anthem Room Correction and Arcam with Dirac Live are the best room correction software. The Arcam will have a lot more power the MRX 1120 but costs more.  But if you are willing to pay the extra, why not get a prepro with power amps,  assuming of course that space is not an issue? 

Hi

Im only using 5 channels. If  I get a pre pro then I would need a 3 channel amp and the costs will blow out.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Franp said:

Hi

Im only using 5 channels. If  I get a pre pro then I would need a 3 channel amp and the costs will blow out.

With only 5 channels, there are lots more options for you.  Not sure why you are considering the Arcam AVR20, 30 or Anthem MRX1120 when there are lower models which can do the job?

You have not mentioned a budget, so will assume Arcam AVR30 is the max at $10,495!  Using list pricing from

https://www.theaudioexperts.com.au/product-category/av-home-theatre-products/

AVRs

Arcam AVR30 : $10,495, AVR20: $6,495, AVR10: $4,495

Anthem MRX1120: $4,999, MRX720:  $3,499, MRX520: 2,299

Prepros

Anthem AVM60: $4,999

Arcam AV40: $7,995

Power amps

Anthem MCA325: $3,699

Arcam P410: $2,995

Emotiva XPA DR-3: $4,199 (pricing from Audio Trends)

A  prepro + power amp option can be less than Arcam AVR30.  But you can also use an AVR as a prepro if they have preouts.  A NAD T758V3 can also do job.

----

So far have only mentioned Arcam, Anthem and NAD because I believe that they have the best room correction software.  There are others of course that you can consider, eg Marantz prepro with Audyssey which is good for movies, but not for music.

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

5 hours ago, Franp said:

Hi

We really need a maximum $ to spend Frank . It would be a waste to buy a new 16ch avr from Arcam if your happy with 5 .

If you went to 7.1 you could get a good pre pro and say an XPA DR3 [ Totally balanced input to output and fully differential] and still use your 2 rotels for the surrounds and back surrounds ..

The XPA DR3 is on special atm for $3359 at at least 1 store. 

I would also read the avs forum thread on the Arcams ; they have had a rough trot with firmwares . Another option is the brand new NAD T778 avr which has the requisite pre outs for your rotels ; its around $4499

op - what's your budget.

i'm not a fan of auto room setup on modern avrs so would stick to rotel.

but rotel don't make avr's any more and the rap-1580 is a lot more expensive than the last rotel avr, the RSX-1562, but will also sound a lot better than almost any avr.

3 hours ago, michaelw said:

i'm not a fan of auto room setup on modern avrs 

Curious what you have tried and why you do not like room correction?

I have tried quite a few packages (as well as DIY room correction) and the best ones are very good.

tried the marantz/denon implementation of audyssey multeq xt32, yamaha ypao, pioneer mcacc, the sony system in the 1080 avr.

not tried the nad dirac system.

sometimes they get things right-ish, often not.

i prefer to do it the old fashioned way with ears, tape measure, spl meter and a test disc.

another option for the op - the marantz sr7013 is on run out now, under $2k, lots of feature and sounds decent.

a worthy replacement for the rotel rsx1560.

2 minutes ago, michaelw said:

tried the marantz/denon implementation of audyssey multeq xt32, yamaha ypao, pioneer mcacc, the sony system in the 1080 avr.

not tried the nad dirac system.

I do understand where you came from.  But what you have used falls far short of Dirac and Anthem Room Correction, which are the 2 best packaged software. 

5 minutes ago, michaelw said:

i prefer to do it the old fashioned way with ears, tape measure, spl meter and a test disc.

And positioning in the room I assume.  My ears are not skilled enough and I use REW to help me.

yes, to positioning !

i much prefer physical adjustment of speakers to electronic manipulations.

fortunately my lounge has space to move things around

:D

back to the op - have you found a suitable replacement for your dead rotel ?

Thanks

I think im going with Arcam Avr20 I know its a bit more expensive but all the reviews say the sound is excellent. Plus they are doing deals so ill get it cheaper.

Posted (edited)
On 08/04/2020 at 1:33 PM, michaelw said:

another option for the op - the marantz sr7013 is on run out now, under $2k, lots of feature and sounds decent.

a worthy replacement for the rotel rsx1560.

Where did you see Marantz SR-7013 for under $2000?

Edited by bizzibee

Posted (edited)
On 16/03/2020 at 5:20 PM, Franp said:

I purchased about 4 Rotel RSP series AV processors in the past, however for my last upgrade it was between the RSP-1582 and RSP-1576 vs Marantz AV8802a and AV7704 at the time, in the end the unrealistic price for the features drove me to go Marantz AV8802a. Now 2 years down the track since upgrade I have no regrets with my decision. 

Also have a look at some of the Marantz AVR offerings in your price range.

JDH

Edited by jdh500

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, bizzibee said:

Where did you see Marantz SR-7013 for under $2000?

i'm in nz  😄

local distributor was clearing out 7013 stock.

there sould be similar deals in australia ?

sold out now

https://www.avworld.co.nz/shop/product/marantz-sr7013/overview

Edited by michaelw

Posted (edited)
On 10/04/2020 at 9:23 AM, michaelw said:

i'm in nz  😄

local distributor was clearing out 7013 stock.

https://www.avworld.co.nz/shop/product/marantz-sr7013/overview

Hi michaelw,

Thank you for the link. That is a fantastic price for the Marantz SR 7013.

On 10/04/2020 at 9:23 AM, michaelw said:

there sould be similar deals in australia ?

Not in Australia unfortunately. I've never seen a Marantz SR 7013 discounted here to that level. This is because of the Australian Marantz/Denon distributor.

Edited by bizzibee