Neo

Anonymous followers

Just putting it out there to fellow Stereonet member on how frustrated I am as of late with people “Following” the for sale thread Anonymously.
Thus indicating there’s interest. If you are interested in the progress of the sale or would like to haggle then announce yourself, don’t be shy. 

Plain and simple I would like to remove that option at least in the for sale thread.

What are the thoughts of the moderators and the fellow Stereonet members 

Neo

Really? I follow threads all the time as I'm interested in the asking price and if it sells. I have no intention of buying though.
Why should it bother you that someone is following a thread without announcing themselves. If they're interested, I'm sure they will contact you.

4 minutes ago, Marc said:

Really? I follow threads all the time as I'm interested in the asking price and if it sells. I have no intention of buying though.
Why should it bother you that someone is following a thread without announcing themselves. If they're interested, I'm sure they will contact you.

100% agree.

I actually prefer it if people are following my listing/s. At the very least, it shows that they have an interest at some level, even if it is not to buy at a particular time, but as we all know in this caper, decisions can change very quickly.

Following implies interest, not disdain.

At the time of posting, there is one anonymous follower to this thread, just putting it out there :fear:

Tis me. I couldn't help myself. :)

Since I have been sprung, I can only surmise it is people possibly wanting to see how much gear goes for? Possibly they are interested, but just don't have the readies? Maybe offer a payment plan to flush them out?

Chill Winston.....it's only djb....

its a bit like ebays..."watchers" I guess ...

3 minutes ago, betty boop said:

its a bit like ebays..."watchers" I guess ...

Great, but don’t we want to differentiate ourselves here in this community 

Im not against following just the removal of the anonymous component, this will make it clear to the seller who’s really interested and to other potential buyers as well

Neo

I have occasionally followed FS threads anonymously.

1, because I'm vaguely interested in the sale and

2, why would you flag your interest to everybody if you are keen? Just negates your bargaining power if/when you do make an offer.

13 minutes ago, blybo said:

I have occasionally followed FS threads anonymously.

1, because I'm vaguely interested in the sale and

2, why would you flag your interest to everybody if you are keen? Just negates your bargaining power if/when you do make an offer.

Wow, fancy gumtree according to you. Members here are generous enough when they sell their items and even more generous with their donations to support this site. Interesting thinking on your part

Neo

6 minutes ago, Neo said:

Wow, fancy gumtree according to you. Members here are generous enough when they sell their items and even more generous with their donations to support this site. Interesting thinking on your part

Neo

Give me a spell... I've sold my fair share of stuff here too at very fair prices. Bargaining is different to low balling. Sellers can always reject any offers I make. Occassionally they do, but my offers are usually considered fair and accepted by sellers. I don't have any negative feedback either, and don't ask for positive feedback from sellers or purchasers.

22 minutes ago, Neo said:

Im not against following just the removal of the anonymous component, this will make it clear to the seller who’s really interested and to other potential buyers as well

Neo

are they really interested ? maybe maybe not... just because someone is following just means they are following... they might want to follow anonymously to exactly not show you either interested or not... as has been shown. 

at end of it the software clearly allows the choice of anonymous or showing ... which is heck of a lot better than ebay where you have no idea who is watching whether they wanted to be anonymous or not. we are clearly greatly differentiated from ebay, just was making the point its not unusual to have anonymous folks watching or following...

I get that this is a real bother for self otherwise wouldnt have created a thread and arguing the case with posters. but at moment its giving folks a choice and some are indeed using it ...clearly that matters to them for their own reasons.

Posted (edited)

🤔
I have followed an item anonymously because I was going to be selling one just like it. I didn’t want to spoil the other persons chances by listing my item at the same time but I wanted to know when it sold. 
I didn’t see any reason for anyone else to know I was following, particularly as I was never a buyer. 

Edited by sir sanders zingmore

I've followed a few items anonymously (2 or 3).  I was curious to follow the sale (for personal reasons), but had no interest/intent to purchase.  Which is why I followed anonymously, there was no need for the seller to know who I was.  If I had interest/intent to purchase I would have PM'd the seller, and probably would have made a posting in the thread to let the seller know, because it is not possible to buy something anonymously!  

Never followed a thread of any kind to my knowledge.

Anonymous followers? Sounds a bit creepy  xD

*Exits thread while glancing over shoulder*

46 minutes ago, muon* said:

Never followed a thread of any kind to my knowledge.

Anonymous followers? Sounds a bit creepy  xD

*Exits thread while glancing over shoulder*

I’m watching you...

Guest jakeyb77
Posted (edited)
On 17/03/2020 at 1:00 PM, Neo said:

Neo

The person that contacts you to buy the item is interested in the purchase. 
End of. 
Others may be following to see what happens as they may have the same gear, or may just be interested for whatever reasons people have their fetishes. 
If the phone don’t ring then worry about your ad not the people following it. 

**** just wondering why you are complaining about the way the site runs when you have 29 feedback, 26 as a seller and $13.00 donated? 
Not getting your moneys worth? 

Edited by jakeyb77

Posted (edited)

I think you worry too much about what others think, or are thinking.

Control is an illusion.

Let go.   🌈

Edited by candyflip

28 minutes ago, candyflip said:

Control is an illusion.

wise words O Candy ….

1 hour ago, candyflip said:

I think you worry too much about what others think, or are thinking.

Control is an illusion.

Let go.   🌈

May be or, may not be thinking :thumb:

All too often we get it wrong when we second guess others thoughts too. But I will guess you were thinking along those lines anyway :D

Anonymity is a rare commodity these days.

We should be glad we have this option. It is really just freedom of choice.

On 15/04/2020 at 7:27 PM, Bell Ringer said:

I’m watching you...

So is Sting  😃