Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
The Fez

Vintage HiFi

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Happy said:

I hear my maternal grandpa was a bit of an audiophile for his time.

 

Also a huge womaniser while the grandma worked hard to raise their kids.

Aaaah the good old days.... I would have liked to have met him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My latest project I found some old JBL slots and rings lying around from the old PA days and a pair of KRK 10'' woofers going to make some nice book shelf speakers with them. I used to own a pair of JBL 4350 monitors but used the components  to build a horn loaded PA I still have the  components and I will be rebuilding them next

IMGP0072.JPG

IMGP0071.JPG

IMGP0070.JPG

jbl 4350.jpg

4350 parts.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/08/2018 at 12:25 AM, Who42 said:

My latest acquisition  Advance Acoustic MAP-305 II 

Specifications

Power output: 150 watts RMS per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

                       :   250 watts RMS per channel into 4Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 10Hz to 60kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.05%

Input sensitivity: 0.2mV (MC), 2.5mV (MM), 300mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 97dB (line)

Channel separation: 70dB (line)

Weight: 15.5kg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

advance-acoustic-MAP-305II-08-big.jpg

Wow, what a difference a few years make! :) Compared to the mess inside the Sony, which looks so deliciously retro on the outside. Nice amp, the layout is admirable. I wonder which one would sound the more organic and alive? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My own latest acquisition is a vintage Akai AM-2600 amplifier and matching AT-2450 tuner. I'm currently in the beginning stages of a complete re-cap of the amp and it will need a new set of output trannies, the originals are looking a little rough after 40 years. After an hour with a set of small Gale mini monitors the left channel's heatsink was very warm, too hot to hold my fingers on there for longer than a few seconds, then the amp shut the output down. There's a little circuit in the centre of the main board with a transistor on a heatsink, a rather dodgy looking diode and a few resistors that looks slightly discoloured around the circuit board. Not burnt, just darker than it should be, so that transistor may well get the boot as well. 

 Might anyone know where I could buy 2 matched sets of 2SD426/2SB556 trannies from, preferable within Australia? 

 The amp sounded powerful and remarkably tuneful, both through headphones and the little time with the Gales. It certainly sounds notably more powerful and ballsy than a 5 channel Pioneer VSX-D512 home theatre amp that I use elsewhere, supposed 80W/channel, the power supply looks tiny in comparison to the Akai's twin 10,000uF supply (although the Pioneer's clarity and PRaT is surprisingly excellent, especially with the little Gales). 

P7300008.jpg

P8054977.jpg

P8054980.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


My Nad1020B/ 2140 combo powering some AR93's is still firing happly. No caps replaced in the Nads and just one replaced tweeter and two new drivers in the AR93's 2 years ago and still sweet sweets sounds.

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

Edited by Eddierukiddingvarese

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like KENWOOD all there vintage Hi Fi is nice and neat inside and easy work on!!

ka7300.jpg

ka-8100.jpg

 

kenwood-ka9100.jpg

 

Kenwood_6100002.jpg

ka-8700.jpg

-ka801.jpg

Edited by Who42

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lightstream said:

My own latest acquisition is a vintage Akai AM-2600 amplifier and matching AT-2450 tuner. I'm currently in the beginning stages of a complete re-cap of the amp and it will need a new set of output trannies, the originals are looking a little rough after 40 years. After an hour with a set of small Gale mini monitors the left channel's heatsink was very warm, too hot to hold my fingers on there for longer than a few seconds, then the amp shut the output down. There's a little circuit in the centre of the main board with a transistor on a heatsink, a rather dodgy looking diode and a few resistors that looks slightly discoloured around the circuit board. Not burnt, just darker than it should be, so that transistor may well get the boot as well. 

 Might anyone know where I could buy 2 matched sets of 2SD426/2SB556 trannies from, preferable within Australia? 

 The amp sounded powerful and remarkably tuneful, both through headphones and the little time with the Gales. It certainly sounds notably more powerful and ballsy than a 5 channel Pioneer VSX-D512 home theatre amp that I use elsewhere, supposed 80W/channel, the power supply looks tiny in comparison to the Akai's twin 10,000uF supply (although the Pioneer's clarity and PRaT is surprisingly excellent, especially with the little Gales). 

 

P8054977.jpg

 

 

re: the output devices, if the amp is still making sweet music, I wouldn't replace them due to the external corrosion - this will not affect the performance of the amp.

 

Has the bias been checked and adjusted? If set incorrectly, this may account for the excessive heat in one channel. Although, when you say the amp 'shut down', do you mean it went into protection mode at the time but works fine once it has cooled? Or has she bitten the dust and is no longer functional?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, Lightstream said:

My own latest acquisition is a vintage Akai AM-2600 amplifier and matching AT-2450 tuner. I'm currently in the beginning stages of a complete re-cap of the amp and it will need a new set of output trannies, the originals are looking a little rough after 40 years. After an hour with a set of small Gale mini monitors the left channel's heatsink was very warm, too hot to hold my fingers on there for longer than a few seconds, then the amp shut the output down. There's a little circuit in the centre of the main board with a transistor on a heatsink, a rather dodgy looking diode and a few resistors that looks slightly discoloured around the circuit board. Not burnt, just darker than it should be, so that transistor may well get the boot as well. 

 Might anyone know where I could buy 2 matched sets of 2SD426/2SB556 trannies from, preferable within Australia? 

 The amp sounded powerful and remarkably tuneful, both through headphones and the little time with the Gales. It certainly sounds notably more powerful and ballsy than a 5 channel Pioneer VSX-D512 home theatre amp that I use elsewhere, supposed 80W/channel, the power supply looks tiny in comparison to the Akai's twin 10,000uF supply (although the Pioneer's clarity and PRaT is surprisingly excellent, especially with the little Gales). 

 

 

 

Don't try to replace the output devices. Any damage you see is purely cosmetic. They'll last another 1,000 years. And, you'll have a hard time locating exact replacements anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

 

re: the output devices, if the amp is still making sweet music, I wouldn't replace them due to the external corrosion - this will not affect the performance of the amp.

 

Has the bias been checked and adjusted? If set incorrectly, this may account for the excessive heat in one channel. Although, when you say the amp 'shut down', do you mean it went into protection mode at the time but works fine once it has cooled? Or has she bitten the dust and is no longer functional?

No, the bias has not been checked yet and I had thought of it, but have not printed off the service manual yet. Tomorrows little task. I haven't checked it again on cooling, I presume it just went into protection mode, as the amp was still lit up otherwise. 

 Point taken re replacing the output trannies. I will do a re-capping anyway, although maybe not the power supply caps, the 10,000uF beasties look in good condition, no trace of swelling or leakage. I love it that the amp has two phono inputs and impedance adjustable at that :) Not something you see much these days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Don't try to replace the output devices. Any damage you see is purely cosmetic. They'll last another 1,000 years. And, you'll have a hard time locating exact replacements anyway. 

A thousand years, eh? Best I leave them alone then :) Maybe just a little exterior clean up, bring out the Brasso. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lightstream said:

A thousand years, eh? Best I leave them alone then :) Maybe just a little exterior clean up, bring out the Brasso. 

Not even Brasso™. 

 

We techs have some wise words for this kind of situation:

 

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Thanks to another member on SNA, I have found a lovely early s/n matched set of Rogers studio 1's in beautiful condition. Looking forward to restore them back to their glory. Should match up nicely with my to be restored Sansui AU-999 or the king AU-111. 

 

IMAG0748.jpg

IMAG0066_1.jpg

Edited by Sansui77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

999 + Studio 1 could be a perfect match I reckon...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope that's not nylon carpet there standing on ,Nikola Tesla would be proud of the resullts!!! ""JUST KIDDING"" Nice  electrostatics. Now all you need is some rotary sub woofers to go with them. 

rotary subwoofer.jpg

rotary subwoofer2.jpg

rotary subwoofer3.jpg

rotary subwoofer4.jpg

rotary subwoofer graph.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


@Be Quiet...Listen that’s an amazing find I’d love to hear them!

 

Got my old AR-XA spinning again after years of hibernation. A little history. I ‘imported’ it from Perth many moons ago. The seller brought it with him from the States. Shabby condition with a dustcover in such a condition you don’t wanna see. The plinth is not real timber. Sporting a 110v motor it also requires a SDT to operate.

 

And most importantly the pulley was for the US frequency meaning it wasn’t appropriate for the Aussie electricity. But a very generous audiophile soul in the States was willing to swap mine with his pulley that worked for our 50 Hz.

 

I’m not a techy guy at all but at the time I was motivated, having had restored a pair of AR3a. So I recapped the old parts, lubed the bearing and motor, replaced the belt, and eventually gave it a Shure V15iii that it still holds. Even considered the mod that was trendy at the time but passed due to the lack of motivation lol.

 

This stayed with mum for a while who had to snap the generic stylus. I can’t recall if what’s on it now is the genuine Shure stylus, but it still sounds sweet to a predominantly LOMC guy’s ear. I’m debating whether to buy aftermarket headshells for MM swap fun. This is a surprisingly decent table. Was good enough for Herbert von Karajan and Miles Davis ya know.

 

8978C44F-EDAF-4F70-B948-18E93B4729AE.thumb.jpeg.1f65efdaf51b3af99a2c97d971f5bec1.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ARR simplicity plus I bet it your setup sounds real sweet !! If you ever get a chance to find a set of AR14s  Speakers one the best sounding speakers ever in there class and price and why simplicity plus the box matched the speaker components and they  matched each other perfectly !!The end result is a very natural-sounding, accurate loudspeaker that had fine reviews and good critical acclaim.I remember going to the Perth show were Vince Ross Audio had a setup behind a Acoustic curtain with all types of  loudspeakers  from cheap to $ 20.000 so  you could only hear them and AR14s were consistently voted the best sounding by the public!!!

 

Specifications

Type: 2 way, 2 driver loudspeaker system

Frequency Response: 36Hz to 25kHz

Power Handling: 50W

Recommended Amplifier: 15 to 100W

Crossover Frequency: 1300Hz

Impedance: 8Ω

Sensitivity: 86dB

Bass: 1 x 250mm acoustic suspension

Tweeter: 1 x 25mm dome

Dimensions: 354 x 635 x 273mm

Weight: 15.9kg

AR14s.JPG

AR14s 2.JPG

Edited by Who42

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks mate. I’d like tomstop short of having had restored a pair of AR3a when it comes to old AR speakers though. Currently residing with mum who loves their sound over anything she’s heard.

 

Hmmm although AR1 with WE drivers could be interesting.

 

I just relubed the bearing. The belt is new. The cap was replaced already. Unless I wanna go overboard it’s all set. It does sound amazing. Spinning old Beatles records as we speak. I am reminded how much I like the Shure MM sound too.

 

7E6D2032-5658-4CCC-81E3-3CD7B5544180.thumb.jpeg.c8f5c2f1c71f37133546b7a6625e38ca.jpeg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit of listening session in my garage today. These need a recap that's for sure. They have the typical classic British sound, lovely midrange. They seemed to be more refined in the bass department compared to the Spendor BC1's.

 

 

 

 

IMAG0754.jpg

Edited by Sansui77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ARR the best of BRITISH Rogers Studio Ones 

Surprising bass response for an 8" 3-way, and smooth across midrange as well. Drivers courtesy of Celestion with a HF1300 tweeter and KEF with their smooth-sounding T27 mid. The woofer is a Rogers original design.

 

 

Rogers Studio Ones.JPG

IMG_2907.JPG

IMG_2906.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sansui77 said:

Bit of listening session in my garage today. These need a recap that's for sure. They have the typical classic British sound, lovely midrange. They seemed to be more refined in the bass department compared to the Spendor BC1's.

 

 

 

 

IMAG0754.jpg

Hang on there '77...I aint seein' no amplification, nor source, -- no - can't see no speaker cable there either...?? -- On another note -- after recap or if you think they aint for you, please send me a PM....:thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/08/2018 at 10:14 PM, Be Quiet...Listen said:

The most recent acquisition. The rare and venerable Stax ELS-8X monster electrostatics. Very nice indeed!

E07525FA-3BC9-46E7-A97F-BEEDF07BBA2C.jpeg

These look nice! How do they sound? And what amp you running them with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, vintagejapan said:

These look nice! How do they sound? And what amp you running them with?

After having heard them for some 10 hours now I can appreciate why some say that the NS2000’s border on electrostatic sound. 

Bass is shy, but mids and treble are just captivating. Very life like, airy and delicate. These are going nowhere! And, the better half absolutely loves their aesthetics and feels they’re very ‘mid century’ looking. She’s slowly becoming an audiophile herself. 

At present I have borrowed a big SS power amp and valve pre from a good mate, but I do have my big valve mono’s in for a service. They should work wonders on these. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Be Quiet...Listen said:

After having heard them for some 10 hours now I can appreciate why some say that the NS2000’s border on electrostatic sound. 

Bass is shy, but mids and treble are just captivating. Very life like, airy and delicate. These are going nowhere! And, the better half absolutely loves their aesthetics and feels they’re very ‘mid century’ looking. She’s slowly becoming an audiophile herself. 

At present I have borrowed a big SS power amp and valve pre from a good mate, but I do have my big valve mono’s in for a service. They should work wonders on these. 

My experience has been same with electrostatic speakers. For certain types of music the are really unbeatable but when bass is needed you are left wanting.

 

You can integrate a sub, but then the dynamics will change. I guess a good solid state amp, or high powered tubes will make them sing better. They do look great...

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...