Sign in to follow this  
The Fez

Vintage HiFi

8550??

I'll see your 8650 and raise you a N7-B + B-3...he,he...

post-113548-0-92352500-1469174909_thumb.

I'll see your 8650 and raise you a N7-B + B-3...he,he...

attachicon.gifDSC_1064.JPG

Now now Fez you'll go blind. Or as my Dad said just do it till you need glasses.

Ha! - I'm actually listening to a Technics amp ATM. She needs about an hour to warm up the beast. But once she's nice and warm -- I can literally feel the output devices talking to me>> :unsure:​   :wacko: -- Big bipolar beast == 

@@The Fez, How is the B-3 comparing to the Sony? Or the B-2?

I'll let you guys know later next week --  going to have a little vfet shootout -- 

Nicely warmed up now -- sounding very very nice....

post-113548-0-78052000-1469180202_thumb.

post-125651-0-92629600-1469226977_thumb.

I needed a stereo amplifier. It could have been from any number of choices but this one caught my eye. Worthwhile?

attachicon.gifSansui AU-alpha607Extra_front.jpg

I needed a stereo amplifier. It could have been from any number of choices but this one caught my eye. Worthwhile?

Yes indeedery!

Oops, wrong picture, right ballpark. The actual amp is the 607 version.

I have a soft spot for the Luxman Brid LV-105 but they don't come up all that often.

I wonder what most folks here do with old tired volume pots on vintage electronics?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oops, wrong picture, right ballpark. The actual amp is the 607 version.

I have a soft spot for the Luxman Brid LV-105 but they don't come up all that often.

How many would you like? Luxmans, that is.

I wonder what most folks here do with old tired volume pots on vintage electronics?

I just had a new Alps pot put in my Melody tube..

Some repair for them because there are some old dual concentric pots of high resistance (250k+) that are unobtainable nowadays used in some amplifiers (like some of my vintage Stax amplifiers).

A Kenwood Trio tuner (KT-1300B) from across the ditch - not in bad shape but not 10/10 IMHO:  (on trademe)

493731583.jpg

And a 303 for the Quaddies: (on trademe) ... why don't people bother to DUST their gear?

497721859.jpg

Depending.. If a proper high quality one-- dissasemble and clean. Use for another 20 or so years  ;)

Most thank Steve @@The Fez  for an afternoon of V-Fet amp comparison ....certainly get His "V Fet fettish" now..... ;)

Although each amp was a short but very sweet comparison I concluded there were just as many similarities as well as differences which came as a nice but real surprise....just goes to show that equipment is best tested in your own

environment as I have listened to amps before with minimal differences......All the amps had a very "fruity" character with the Sony having the "Meatiest" and the Sansui "laidback" but very listenable ....

We ended up having a quick listen to His big Technics which was a completely different....little "fruitfulness" here but lots of grunt...... :)

Nice to meet Greg @@Hensa  briefly.....

post-109454-0-67034900-1469324953_thumb.

Cheers Tase.

Edited by Tasebass

Most thank Steve @@The Fez  for an afternoon of V-Fet amp comparison ....certainly get His "V Fet fettish" now..... ;)

Although each amp was a short but very sweet comparison I concluded there were just as many similarities as well as differences which came as a nice but real surprise....just goes to show that equipment is best tested in your own

environment as I have listened to amps before with minimal differences......All the amps had a very "fruity" character with the Sony having the "Meatiest" and the Sansui "laidback" but very listenable ....

We ended up having a quick listen to His big Technics which was a completely different....little "fruitfulness" here but lots of grunt...... :)

Nice to meet Greg @@Hensa  briefly.....

attachicon.gifIMG_2908.JPG

And the B-3????

Cheers Tase.

Apologies @@JakeyB .....that was the one we never got around to listening to......though Steve said its running the Sony Pretty close which He likes a lot!!!

Cheers Tase.

he, he -- we had The Police cranking -- 

The little Sansui - and I mean little -- usually BLOWS people away....

post-113548-0-45334900-1469328183_thumb.

he, he -- we had The Police cranking -- 

The little Sansui - and I mean little -- usually BLOWS people away....

attachicon.gifDSC_1091.JPG

Yeah should be more specific with the Sansui  as it did a great job of making the speakers disappear so to speak with great image depth as I noted to Steve...

What/Who was that Jazz track with Father and Son playing??.......That was great too...!! :thumb:

Cheers Tase.

Yeah should be more specific with the Sansui  as it did a great job of making the speakers disappear so to speak with great image depth as I noted to Steve...

What/Who was that Jazz track with Father and Son playing??.......That was great too...!! :thumb:

Cheers Tase.

post-113548-0-36019400-1469344155_thumb.

Larry's son Travis is the bass player...The song opens the set - "Burnable"..

Edited by The Fez

Long gone are the days I used to tune into the BBC World Service on short wave ... does anyone bother with SW these days?

Spotted on Gumtree:

$_20.JPG