Vintage HiFi

I seem to remember Nick from Audiophile banging on about a Teac Micro/component system and how great the amp was...could well have been this little fella. Probably a very nice thing.

M

Edited by unclemack
  • Like 2

@@The Fez I remember a motel that had one of them in the window.

I turned it on expecting cold air to come out :D

Indeed. However to see one in the flesh, well there has never been or will be a better understated design IMHO..However the Yamaha B2x goes close..

But its what's inside that counts.

Its a remarkable, complex, crazy design conceived in the mid 70's - and born in 1977 by Sony. A cascode configuration deploying BJT's and vfets in the output stage. To design and create the same amplifier today at "commercial' level is quite simply --  impossible. 

I must stress the N7B MUST be rebuilt to appreciate its beauty and to protect "the precious" . (like all vfet amps). There are only a handful of people in the world - yep that many - that really know this design and can rebuild this amp...I would suggest that only the Yamaha B-1 is more difficult... Well the B-1 is on another level of intense complexity and uniqueness.

The sound of the N7B is superb. Though not using the vfets exclusively in this hybrid vfet/BJT circuit, Sony created a unique super fast, linear amplifier.

• Like 1

Being up late as my youngest is up at the hospital after getting bit on the butt by our foster dog (long story... who knew rabies was a possibility???) So anyway, waiting up for news etc and listening to some Steely Dan so here is a pic or two of the other vintage set up.
Sounds best on female vocals and jazz/blues. Featuring my re built BD2, Rotel RX 402 reciever and Heco speakers in front with Wharfedale Bronze 8 fullrange as occasional rear speakers or for mono duties.

post-151690-0-05771700-1455281091_thumb.

post-151690-0-54376300-1455281104_thumb.

• Like 3

As a footnote, does anyone out there know the history of these Wharfedales? I know the cabinets were made in Melbourne (Richmond) sometime in the 60's and have seen one other pair come up on ebay (asking crazy $$ ) They sound best in a high ceiling room with interesting reflections of tone as you move around.

Great amp the B2. Superb Yamaha VFET sound. Beautiful weight and control in the bass. Very, very good stereo imaging, throws an enormous soundstage does the B2. Super low distortion amplifier, extremely linear, and clean. With Yamaha overseeing the actual production of the vfets, specifically matching pairs for each channel. The circuit is designed around the performance and specific specifications of the power fets. Extraordinary, brilliant design..  

After about an hour of bringing a B2 up to temp and stable, then start to turn up the volume ans enjoy one of the finest power amplifiers made. I'd be happy to put the B2 up against most other amplifiers (in the same weight class) irrespective of age...It will kick some serious butt...

She aint no oil painting, but after a while you get to like the looks of the B2..in a weird sorta way!

If you look closely into the dark depths of the beast, you can see two of those fets, sitting on the heatsink..And talking heatsink, they are big, lots of sinking in this amplifier. You will never have any thermal issues with a B2. Drive it hard all day, she will stay solid as a rock, no worries..

post-113548-0-98349900-1455775466_thumb.post-113548-0-42544900-1455775468_thumb.

• Like 2

Great amp the B2. Superb Yamaha VFET sound. Beautiful weight and control in the bass. Very, very good stereo imaging, throws an enormous soundstage does the B2. Super low distortion amplifier, extremely linear, and clean. With Yamaha overseeing the actual production of the vfets, specifically matching pairs for each channel. The circuit is designed around the performance and specific specifications of the power fets. Extraordinary, brilliant design..  

After about an hour of bringing a B2 up to temp and stable, then start to turn up the volume ans enjoy one of the finest power amplifiers made. I'd be happy to put the B2 up against most other amplifiers (in the same weight class) irrespective of age...It will kick some serious butt...

She aint no oil painting, but after a while you get to like the looks of the B2..in a weird sorta way!

If you look closely into the dark depths of the beast, you can see two of those fets, sitting on the heatsink..And talking heatsink, they are big, lots of sinking in this amplifier. You will never have any thermal issues with a B2. Drive it hard all day, she will stay solid as a rock, no worries..

attachicon.gifPicture 019.jpgattachicon.gifPicture 053.JPG

From your pic I see you still have the stock trim pots!

A multi turn quality trim pot is highly recommended on the driver boards and power supply.