Vintage HiFi

20 hours ago, Lx4man said:

Spent the day today re-foaming a pair of kenwood lsg-5000's , its funny that you never hear or see much about vintage kenwood speakers but these are domestic Japanese and at 48kg each and a new price of 340,000 jpy the pair which was big money considering ns1000's were 216,000jpy the pair. These are impressive, build quality of the drivers is second to none , the 12 inch woofer has a segmental carbon come like the ns2000 yamaha with an even larger magnet, all flat areas on the driver including between the coil and frame, breather through magnet and top and bottom pole plates are damped with thick felt, The way the driver bolts in is amazing as well, they use 16 bolts each , it sits in a keyway then you turn clockwise and it sandwiches the baffel between the cutouts in the drivers frame , from there the cast mounting ring attaches and locks the driver tight .....all 16 bolts mean its literaly part of the baffel. the tweeter and mids also have huge magnets that barely fit through the baffel cutout , they use a cvt plasma formed diamond diaphragm and around is damped with felt and cork , each crossover is separate and uses no solder to connect components and thick ofc wiring thicker than any of the other yamaha ns1000 type models ive played with , the rear of the cabinet is constructed in a pyramid shape to suppress standing waves and there are mixed types of damping all through the cabinets , baffel has been separated for mids and tweeters and is 50mm thick plus an extra 20mm for mid and hf baffel , almost no info exists on the internet about these except a few japanese sights ive had to translate , these were top of the line for kenwood in the 80's and pretty much the pinnacle of kenwood systems, will need to set up on stands for a decent listen but already i find them better than the diatone ds2000's and super detailed but smooth without being fatiguing, always amazes me the way these big companies built stuff for their home countries for a sense of corporate pride which the rest of the world never got to see if it wasn't for the internet 

That's it for today's journey  

imageproxy.php?img=&key=6052995cfa95af68

20200712_204853.jpg

20200712_092527.jpg

20200712_003423.jpg

20200613_103944.jpg

Screenshot_20200712-205957_Samsung Internet.jpg

Kenwood in an underrated brand in my opinion and these speakers look very over engineered in a good way, Will you make stands to match the ones on the brochures image?

• Like 3

Definitely and the stuff they keep back home in japan proves it , yes the build quality and design is amazing on these and allot of other top tier Japanese domestic products , i bought these in from japan so i might just watch out to see if i can find an original set of stands if not ill work something out 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, occxlr8ed said:

Picked up an old Audio Analyse PA-90 stereo amp from dad.

http://www.frenchvintagehifi.com/hardware/category/audioanalyse

Anyone have any experience with these? Seem to be circa 1970-1980.

All working condition, how much would it fetch?

It's very rare in Australia - however it's important to bear in mind that this doesn't necessarily mean it's worth a lot.

This shows the history of completed and expired ad listings:

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=audioanalyse+pa90

On 14/07/2020 at 10:19 AM, Lx4man said:

Definitely and the stuff they keep back home in japan proves it , yes the build quality and design is amazing on these and allot of other top tier Japanese domestic products , i bought these in from japan so i might just watch out to see if i can find an original set of stands if not ill work something out 

No question. Back in the day the Japanese often, not always made superior audio gear, just for their own market. Didn't export any model. Now there may well have been economic and other rational reasons for this, however one must be prepared to try the JDM stuff.. 

The Yamaha VFET B-3 power amplifier is an example. Some may argue that its not the very best "vfet" amp that Yamaha made. IMHO the B3 is the best - but never exported.... Might have been to do with the end of the vfet era, and Yamaha were using up the last of their semiconductor stock? Its all speculation...

I guess its a bit like the car manufacturers, not every model is exported worldwide..

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

I'm going to be taking delivery of a "new" restored Sony TA-N7B power amplifier shortly.  Looking forward to reacquainting myself with this amplifier.  

Had one previously, and did like it.... 

Picture 004.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 1

• 2 months later...
On 14/07/2020 at 10:19 AM, Lx4man said:

Very nice design of a speaker stand...keep us all up to date on how you go there with getting a set! and those speakers are totally smick! :hyper:

On 09/11/2019 at 8:00 PM, Pradeep said:

Mine is Floor Standing Turntable

by HMV

More than 100 years old.. no need of electricity, just winding only.  Wish to know your comments.

D34D3465-A77B-4BCF-A3D3-A429F8440D40.jpeg

On 09/11/2019 at 8:31 PM, Ratbob said:

You could really “crank” those up without annoying the neighbors. :)

The HMV certainly looks nice.  These machines can play surprisingly very loud (or at least the grammophone I heard a few years ago sounded very loud), so depending where you live the neighbours could be annoyed!  I believe that the doors on the front are used as a volume control. 

I pulled the MC2100 out of the low shelf of the rack for cleaning today. It has survived pretty well, being a 1970s vintage unit, the last of that chassis type before they changed to the glass fronted ones with blue back-lit VU meters. The later equivalent was the MC2105; same performance, different looks.

I’ve been able to try a lot of different amps over some 50 years of being interested in hifi, firstly as an ordinary citizen and then from about 1988 onwards being involved in music and hifi retail. Even this old model (rated 2 x 105w) outperforms pretty much everything I’ve owned in that time, be it Phase Linear, Luxman, Marantz, Bryston or Bel Canto – to name a few – regardless of their rated power, which in some cases was as high as 2 x 200w.

It needs a transformer to bring voltage down to its 110-120 level, as there’s no mod from the company to do that, but it has worked beautifully running from a heavy duty 1000w lump of metal!

Now to get it back onto that low shelf without bringing on another back spasm!

DSCF7702.JPG

DSCF7703.JPG

DSCF7705.JPG

Edited by Spinnergeoff
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

• 1 year later...
On 15/08/2021 at 3:18 AM, The Fez said:

I'm going to be taking delivery of a "new" restored Sony TA-N7B power amplifier shortly.  Looking forward to reacquainting myself with this amplifier.  

Had one previously, and did like it.... 

Picture 004.jpg

so how does she sound like?

• 6 months later...
18 minutes ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Damm did not realize that McIntosh could be bought...just a lovely looking bit of kit!

Yes, advertised at Stereonet a while back. I've been distracted by acquiring two BMW R1150R motorcycles, and funding was needed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I haven’t seen the show @denimhunter posted, but it did remind of our visit to the Lion Cafe in Shibuya, Tokyo. An extraordinary experience for us, I couldn’t even begin to understand the complexity of how the many eclectic pieces of equipment and massive speakers worked together. Sounded amazing. We barely whispered and were politely told “no talking”.

https://www.tokyocowboy.co/articles/lion-cafe-shibuyas-secret-classical-music-oasis

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Godot said:

I haven’t seen the show @denimhunter posted, but it did remind of our visit to the Lion Cafe in Shibuya, Tokyo. An extraordinary experience for us, I couldn’t even begin to understand the complexity of how the many eclectic pieces of equipment and massive speakers worked together. Sounded amazing. We barely whispered and were politely told “no talking”.

https://www.tokyocowboy.co/articles/lion-cafe-shibuyas-secret-classical-music-oasis

Not sure if u are familiar with horns?  They are inherently quite simple.  Always like their sound but u need the room to make them sing…

1 hour ago, Godot said:

Sure. At the Lion Cafe they have a custom built speaker system, 3 metres tall. A selection of equipment for source and amplification. This view is from the upper level, more seating downstairs. 

IMG_0907.jpeg

WOW...simply wow...that is amazing! :hyper:

• Like 1