Vintage HiFi

I love this thread these are my first real vintage pieces I got very lucky the other day a little old lady advertised these on a recycling site and I was first to call her I when I got there I couldn't believe the condition of this Denon amp and Tuner she was the original owner and they had sat in a cabinet from new they work perfectly and I'm stoked I set them up with my B&W Matrix's series 1 and I have to admit I'm impressed I do like the combination no external DAC just analogue sweet sound.

P.S. I tried to give this lady some money but all she wanted in return was to move some furniture which obviously I did.

post-128404-0-64808700-1398832568_thumb.

post-128404-0-22356100-1398832630_thumb.

post-128404-0-90678900-1398832667_thumb.

• Like 10

Watch this space - a Sansui TU-X1 tuner, reconditioned by Stereo Surgeons in Connecticut USA, is about to arrive in my hands. Planned to be part of a tuner shootout at ASoN (Audiophile Society of NSW) possibly June or July.

It's just a little tuner, weighing in at a paltry 16kg, and regarded by many as the best sounding AM/FM tuner ever built.

attachicon.gifTU-X1.JPG

Watching with interest Warren, that is one mighty fine tuner you have!

Cheers

John

The stork brought a new addition to my household yesterday. Unfortunately the stork didn't know how to pack heavy amps properly, so a special heartfelt thanks to John (Skippy) for the emergency repairs and sheet metal work this afternoon. Its sounding (and looking) great !

post-139384-0-58923600-1399112663_thumb.

post-139384-0-93577100-1399112703_thumb.

• Like 4

Great to catch up this afternoon Barry, and particularly to get to have a look at the G-971 - I never thought that I would get to see one of theses in the flesh. All I can say is what a cracker of a receiver!!   200Wper channel of pure Sansui goodness!!

G_971front_zps893a6e04.jpg

G_971top_zpsf5d73a6e.jpg

Cheers

John

• Like 3

beautiful receiver...interesting it has dual tuning info, with the analogue and the digital quartz meter...year of manufacture? LED power level display too. would it be one of the very few Sansui series with those "fluroscan" - (Poneer) style power meters...Yamaha had those too with their M2 / M4 power amps..

A really nice piece ... :thumb: 

Went shopping today gentlemen and I'm pretty chuffed with this nice old Luxman SQ 503 made in 1969 and she's sounds lovely got recapped a few years ago so nothing to do inside but the woodwork could do with a bit of attention any tips on polishing the timber veneer it's not bad but it's gotten marked by having other gear on it and of course I am a bit anal when it comes to looks (not my own lol) anyway any ideas are much appreciated.

The Duck 

post-128404-0-84800100-1399203801_thumb.post-128404-0-51343800-1399203852_thumb.post-128404-0-53529200-1399203893_thumb.post-128404-0-93539100-1399203922_thumb.

Edited by BATMAQN
  • Like 3

Nice pick up, I don't mind the older Luxmans

Re the wooden case, I have had good results with Gilly Stephenson's "Restoring & New Timber Polish", got it from Bunnings.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Went shopping today gentlemen and I'm pretty chuffed with this nice old Luxman SQ 503 made in 1969 and she's sounds lovely got recapped a few years ago so nothing to do inside but the woodwork could do with a bit of attention any tips on polishing the timber veneer it's not bad but it's gotten marked by having other gear on it and of course I am a bit anal when it comes to looks (not my own lol) anyway any ideas are much appreciated.

The Duck 

attachicon.gif20140504_213713.jpgattachicon.gif20140504_213738.jpgattachicon.gif20140504_213745.jpgattachicon.gif20140504_213729.jpg

Luxxies just seem to have that cult following. I have friends who have anything from one to a dozens of them. I have listen to about four of them and maybe just me  but I don't like them. Doesn't mean to say they are not good they just don't get my auditory juice flowing.

Great to catch up this afternoon Barry, and particularly to get to have a look at the G-971 - I never thought that I would get to see one of theses in the flesh. All I can say is what a cracker of a receiver!!   200Wper channel of pure Sansui goodness!!

G_971front_zps893a6e04.jpg

G_971top_zpsf5d73a6e.jpg

Cheers

John

Now that's a receiver.

I used to have one of the Luxmans made during the Luxman/Alpine era and that one didn't do it for me but this is old Luxman it's one of their first solid states and I have to admit I like it's sound maybe I'm getting old. ;)   

beautiful receiver...interesting it has dual tuning info, with the analogue and the digital quartz meter...year of manufacture? LED power level display too. would it be one of the very few Sansui series with those "fluroscan" - (Poneer) style power meters...Yamaha had those too with their M2 / M4 power amps..

A really nice piece ... :thumb:

The 4900Z that I bought new in '81 also had the tuning dial and a digital display. Power meter is only LEDs though.

It's still going strong at a mate's place.

The stork brought a new addition to my household yesterday. Unfortunately the stork didn't know how to pack heavy amps properly, so a special heartfelt thanks to John (Skippy) for the emergency repairs and sheet metal work this afternoon. Its sounding (and looking) great !
attachicon.gif

Now that is a MONSTER receiver.  Look at the way the turntable on top is dwarfed by the unit underneath in the second picture. PHWOAR!!!

DR

I have no experience with them but this crowd restore and sell Vintage Gear so they obviously have the experience and knowledge. AFAIK they are located in Campbellfield.

I have no connection with them

https://www.rvhifi.com.au/

https://www.facebook.com/RVHIFI/timeline?filter=2

Edited by holdencaulfield2007

The Duck 

Very nice Bat. 

Also, thanks for the advice today and the offer of a loaner while the CR1020 is "inoperative"...  :(

You're too hard on yourself:  I find you a very handsome man!  ;)

Edited by nevenkab

You're too hard on yourself:  I find you a very handsome man!   ;)

Well thank you very much my friend I think your wife might have a good laugh about that though.