Modern alternative to vintage Sansui Amp

Hi Guys,

Need your help and suggestion.

I am looking for a modern alternatives to vintage Sansui integrated amps, particularly Sansui AU series (AU-217, 417,  517 and so on).

I had a Sansui AU-217 MKII Vintage Amp for a while and was very happy with it. While my speakers have come and gone, I did keep up with that amp. Over last year or so, I have been working more remotely and needed a setup on my desk, so I went around and bought the Sonos Ones with Sonos Sub as my desktop setup for ease of use and less space. This worked well, however one day I brought out the Vintage amp and set it up on opposite wall to listen to some old speakers and I was blown away and immediately regretted having this replaced with Sonos. So, I sold the Sonos Setup and have been listening to Sansui amp with vintage and DIY speakers.

Last month I upgraded my Home theatre speakers from Ascensions speakers (Edward's speakers from Adelaide speakers), and needed some fund to pay for it. So, the vintage stereo setup had to go and I ended up selling the Sansui amp and the speakers. I still have my DIY speakers hooked up to friend's old Pioneer AVR receiver. Day by day I am missing the Sansui Amp and regretting the sale of it. This brings me to my quest to find the alternatives in modern world.

Finding decent Sansui AU series amp is hard here in Australia and just as expensive as the modern units. so the question is are there any modern alternatives to Sansui AU series with similar sound signature. My budget is around $400 to $600. I have been eyeing Marantz PM5005 and Rotel A10 in that price range. However, can anyone recommend me a modern amp that sounds similar to Sansui? 

I am not fussed about the connectivity as in Bluetooth or network connection in amp.

Well if there was a modern alternative I would have thought this would have come up before I've tried a fair few amps in my time but not everything out there I have had various Sansui's over the years and done some comparisons along the way what I found I kept going back to Sansui every time and that Is what I use every day as per my signature however I did find the Saksa 80 ($2000) from Hugh Dean Aspen Amplifiers was pretty close in sound signature to the Sansui's to the point that it survived in my collection the longest because I couldn't bring myself to sell it because it did sound so good but in the end I was doing a bit of a downsize system wise and I sold it I still have various Sansui's though.

If you're trying to find something that sounds the same but costs a lot less well good luck Sansui were at the top of the game all those years ago some other brands up there would include Luxman Accuphase and there would be others but their prices are up there as well, the two you've mentioned PM5005 (which I have had) and Rotel A10 aren't in the same class don't bother they probably won't satisfy.

There's a reason these amps from Japan command the high prices they were built to a high standard when there was pride in putting out a quality product for the right reasons not just to make a buck, that legacy remains to this day and beyond they just sound right to the person who likes a balance of sweet tone, musicality and accuracy.

You could probably pick up one of the lower spec Sansui like the one you had for your budget put a WTB in the classifieds never know what might turn up plenty of hoarders on here eventually they let some things go ?

@Cafad is the Sansui comparison guru he might be able to suggest something here.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Sansui AU-505 on the bay, pay a few $$'s to have it checked out/part recapped and you would come in under $600- with a sound that would make a mess of modern budget amps... Some of the budget receivers (661, 5050,,,) sound ok and again can be had for that sort of money. Your problem is to find something that sounds like a vintage sansui, answer, another vintage sansui amp...

• Like 3

Beat me by minutes Seb.

I don't like your chances.  I've never found any modern amps that sound particularly similar to the older Sansuis (and very, very few that sound similar to the more modern Sansuis for that matter).  Times have changed and sound quality requirements and preferences mean that there is nothing much out there now that sounds anything like what the 'ideal' sound of several decades past does.  I think you may have to bite the bullet and search for another Sansui.

• Like 5

Thank you guys,

Yes, I had a feeling there was a reason why these Sansui's costs lot more. I guess, I am going to have to bide my time and wait for the right opportunity to snap up another Sansui again.

I was really hoping Rotel A10 would be somewhat worthy as it is a sleek looking and right in budget bracket. 

The Rotel A10 might be a good price but it's a long way from sounding like a 70's Sansui.  A long, long, very, very long way.  An 800 series Rotel would be closer, and even then, not that close.

• Like 2

The Technics SU A900 or SU A900 MK2 are very good sounding amps from about 1995.So 20 years newer than the Sansuis and probably less likely to need work.They sound very open and refined.Quite high -end sounding with very good imaging and very refined treble.A bit like Accuphase in sound really but not quite the beautiful midrange of the better Accuphases.

A Rega Mira would also be worth a try.

• Like 1

The old cambridge audio A1 A2 A3 have a very similar sound and can be had for cheaper. Or even some of the arcams. 

There was a guy on facebook sellong a fully refurb 222 which may still be available

6 hours ago, bluehalk said:

I ended up selling the Sansui amp

There's a lot of people here who have done that and then the regret sets in. That triple  2 is good buying and I'd have it over a 217 or 317 any day.

Good luck in your search

• Like 1

With efficient speakers I favour the John Lindsay Hood 1969 or PASS Amp Camp Amp based circuits. Both very very nice however the ACA is brutally revealing and will show up each recording for what it is.... The Hood on the other hand is richer sounding.

Although my JLH 1969 amp is Chi-Fi, some of these Russian ones look interesting:

https://vk.com/market-101819259

I found my AU 5900 on here for about 500 about 3 years back. I was using a 217mk ii too which was a great little amp - but the 5900 was a definite upgrade - it had been well loved and refurbished.

It easily drives a pair of stubborn AR2a's. It's on a par with my other Sui - an AU317 which I also do love and is currently on loan - but is more up front and sounds fresher and more lively  , I guess because it has had a good makeover not so long ago. You do see the 3900's come up on sale - and the odd 4900.  Last year a friend of mine found an AU 7700 for about 400 bucks on gumtree - they are out there but you have to be patient.

The only other amp that I have that comes close when driving the AR's is a Yamaha CA 700 only because it has a very slightly punchier bass and a bit more power..but it doesnt serve the detail like the 5900 and its phono stages arent nearly as good.

The Yamaha is a decent enough amp though and they come up occasionally for reasonable money - you can always add a phono stage if need be. The higher spec CA -800 and up are much rarer and priced to boot.

Depending on your power requirements you could find an AU 555 for that money too. Not the gruntiest amp but with the right speakers they do sound sweet.

Sorry cant think of a more modern alternative for getting the best out of vintage speakers in that price bracket. I did A/B a Marantz PM55 some years ago with my 317 but it didnt do it for me.

Edited by gator2310
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, gator2310 said:

I found my AU 5900 on here for about 500 about 3 years back. I was using a 217mk ii too which was a great little amp - but the 5900 was a definite upgrade - it had been well loved and refurbished.

It easily drives a pair of stubborn AR2a's. It's on a par with my other Sui - an AU317 which I also do love and is currently on loan - but is more up front and sounds fresher and more lively  , I guess because it has had a good makeover not so long ago. You do see the 3900's come up on sale - and the odd 4900.  Last year a friend of mine found an AU 7700 for about 400 bucks on gumtree - they are out there but you have to be patient.

The only other amp that I have that comes close when driving the AR's is a Yamaha CA 700 only because it has a very slightly punchier bass and a bit more power..but it doesnt serve the detail like the 5900 and its phono stages arent nearly as good.

The Yamaha is a decent enough amp though and they come up occasionally for reasonable money - you can always add a phono stage if need be. The higher spec CA -800 and up are much rarer and priced to boot.

Depending on your power requirements you could find an AU 555 for that money too. Not the gruntiest amp but with the right speakers they do sound sweet.

Sorry cant think of a more modern alternative for getting the best out of vintage speakers in that price bracket. I did A/B a Marantz PM55 some years ago with my 317 but it didnt do it for me.

Yes, AU 217mk ii was a great little amp. I think I am going to take this opportunity and go bigger for AU-417 or AU517. Thanks for the tips about AU5900 and AU7700, I will keep searching for these and see if I can nab one at decent price.

1 hour ago, bluehalk said:

Yes, AU 217mk ii was a great little amp. I think I am going to take this opportunity and go bigger for AU-417 or AU517. Thanks for the tips about AU5900 and AU7700, I will keep searching for these and see if I can nab one at decent price.

If you can manage to grab a 517 or 717 (or 519/719) I can highly recommend that as an upgrade path.

The 417 is a nice amp to be sure, but it's less sophisticated than the above, and roughly the equivalent of the slim form-factor AU-317 in the larger AU-517/717 chassis. It has one transformer vs two, and half the number of filter capacitors - it lacks the 'dual mono' style of construction found in the 517/717 and 519/719. You can see the empty locations in the chassis in the images below.

A well-priced 417 is still a good amp though, but just make sure it is appropriately priced.

AU-417:

AU417.jpg

AU-517/717:

AU517.jpg

Edited by pete_mac
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

If you can manage to grab a 517 or 717 (or 519/719) I can highly recommend that as an upgrade path.

The 417 is a nice amp to be sure, but it's less sophisticated than the above, and roughly the equivalent of the slim form-factor AU-317 in the larger AU-517/717 chassis. It has one transformer vs two, and half the number of filter capacitors - it lacks the 'dual mono' style of construction found in the 517/717 and 519/719. You can see the empty locations in the chassis in the images below.

A well-priced 417 is still a good amp though, but just make sure it is appropriately priced.

AU-417:

AU417.jpg

AU-517/717:

AU517.jpg

Wow! that is an impressive unit. After seeing this, for sure I want to go for 517 or 717 now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gator2310 said:

This was on sale here earlier this month - may have been sold elsewhere. Outside the budget limits though.

Yes, I saw this before posting this thread. 

Little out of budget and shipping to Sydney will add even more.

This is what led me to start the thread, as I had to question my self of spending $800 plus on old equipment vs modern equipments. One could buy highly regarded Kef LSX with this money when you consider the cost of amp and speakers.

But that Sansui sound :).

40 minutes ago, bluehalk said:

Yes, I saw this before posting this thread. 

Little out of budget and shipping to Sydney will add even more.

This is what led me to start the thread, as I had to question my self of spending $800 plus on old equipment vs modern equipments. One could buy highly regarded Kef LSX with this money when you consider the cost of amp and speakers.

But that Sansui sound :).

Yes, that's the downside of the desirable Sansuis - they do command reasonable dollars (unless you can find someone who doesn't realise what they are selling).

You also should factor servicing and restoration costs into the equation - there are known age-related issues which should be addressed for reliability and sonic goodness.

• Like 1

On 19/03/2020 at 5:46 AM, gator2310 said:

This was on sale here earlier this month - may have been sold elsewhere. Outside the budget limits though.

Bought that one thanks. On it's way to me to drive Infinity Kappa 6.1i.

• Like 4