DrSK

NBN - Are they all slow?

23 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

You were lucky with Telstra Cable performance because not many people in your area/street were using it.  During peak, pre-COVID19, ours could drop to as low as 20 to 30.

This is exatly what the NBN was designed to solve.

ie. a wholesale provider (NBN) who must deliver everywhere, and must deliver services which operate as planned....  not services delivered to only places which are profitable, with performance which will only be as good as needed to "not lose too many customers".

Note.  The retail space is a different kettle of fish.   Low quality, low cost providers have their place (and it's a free market)..... but in the wholesale/monopoly space, it goes badly for consumers.    When consumers have the ability to simply pick a different service provider (because no service providers are locked out via monopolisd infrastrcuture) ....  then ISPs can be free to provide as rubbish quality service (at assumedly low costs) that they dare.

ive had good speeds with telstra hfc in the past close to the 100/40 max

when it switched to NBn, we still got pretty much the same speeds

but ive been getting more annoyed with telstra having terrible service whenever there is a problem, which luckily isnt often.

ABB is looking tempting

1 hour ago, larry42 said:

ive had good speeds with telstra hfc in the past close to the 100/40 max

when it switched to NBn, we still got pretty much the same speeds

but ive been getting more annoyed with telstra having terrible service whenever there is a problem, which luckily isnt often.

ABB is looking tempting

Night and day customer experience improvement since shifting to ABB. Local people who know their stuff and know what is going on. 

On 02/07/2020 at 8:58 PM, larry42 said:

with the recent faster 250/20 and 1000/50 plans being available for some addresses
who here has upgraded plans ?

I am part of the 70% of the HFC network that have access to to 250/20 plans. Gigabit is available to everyone on FTTP and 7% of the HFC network.

Getting 270/25(overprovisioning). Check your CVCs for your local area, it'll show you if a local bottleneck would be a problem or not. 

Unfortunately still have not shaken Telstra. 

Keep getting monthly bills for NBN despite not having a connection with them. 

They already made an adjustment to reduce to a pro rata amount to when we switched to Aussie Broadband. This took an hour in the phone with them. 

Now claiming late payment for balance of the rest of the month and further months billing. 

I still get $0 bills every month from Telstra, 9 months on.

26 minutes ago, Batty said:

"There are 10 types of people on this earth, those that understand binary and those that do not" 

Hahaha, love it! 

My Telstra switch to ABB was painless, with a phone call, answered from Adelaide. Got 1 last pro rata bill, paid it and no more...

2 hours ago, DrSK said:

Unfortunately still have not shaken Telstra. 

Keep getting monthly bills for NBN despite not having a connection with them. 

They already made an adjustment to reduce to a pro rata amount to when we switched to Aussie Broadband. This took an hour in the phone with them. 

Now claiming late payment for balance of the rest of the month and further months billing. 

Send a registered letter with your story and claim harassment.

my experience is similar to essence, ABB have FAR better service than telstra.

my 250/20 is great, i get about 270/22 speeds

wish i moved away from telstra earlier

We're on Optus - we get 18 up, 54 down pretty consistenly.

I think that's probably lousy, as it seemed *much* faster before cOVID.  😬

At least you can still ring ABB.

Telstra have no one answering the phones 'because of covid'.

One would think that the easiest way for people to work from home would be remote call center.

They are a dead set joke.

Goodate all

NBN tried to do a install last Thursday, couldnt find the old Telecom connection.

Nothing on the outside walls, nothing under the house except for 33 years of spare car parts.

No wonder we always had problems with Telecom, we had a magic line.

They certanily knew how to bill us.

Been on Optus for 27 years as soon as the cable went up.

So now we are getting  a new connection from the kirb, which is what l wanted.😁

We are on FTC here.

Will keep you updated.

regards Bruce

15 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

At least you can still ring ABB.

Telstra have no one answering the phones 'because of covid'.

One would think that the easiest way for people to work from home would be remote call center.

They are a dead set joke.

not when most of your call centre was setup offshore and those people dont have the ability to work from home (or office)..

some companies have adapted quite  well, some have not

38 minutes ago, Hytram said:

not when most of your call centre was setup offshore and those people dont have the ability to work from home (or office)..

some companies have adapted quite  well, some have not

They have plenty of staff in Australia to answer technical calls...............but they aren't.

ABB are very open and transparent about their CVC, and yes they are putting up a couple of prices now that the bonus CVC is expiring but they are still my #1 ISP and quite possibly the best I've ever dealt with.

Before the shutdowns I averaged 95 / 35 on my 100/40 connection, with peak time dips occasionally into the high 80s. Now I'm seeing 102/38 most of the time and peak hour dips barely below 95.

Their tech support are actually knowledgeable and aren't just reading scripts, you can ask a technical question and they actually know what you are talking about.

7 minutes ago, GaryT said:

Their tech support are actually knowledgeable and aren't just reading scripts, you can ask a technical question and they actually know what you are talking about.

Think I've already posted my experience, but yes. Couldn't agree more. 

Had odd issues with access to data servers and devices using ftp being blocked. Zero run around or transfers required. She knew the likely issue right away, changed some security settings her end and I was back up in running in a couple of minutes. 

I understand NBN performance is area-dependent, but I would say that my local area is impatiently waiting for 5G.  In fact I couldn't wait and now pay for 2 separate broadband connections so that we can share the pathetic bandwidth among family members.  It's a third world service at first world prices. 😭