NBN - Are they all slow?

I still get $0 bills every month from Telstra, 9 months on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At least you can still ring ABB. Telstra have no one answering the phones 'because of covid'.   One would think that the easiest way for people to work from home would be remote call ce

ABB are very open and transparent about their CVC, and yes they are putting up a couple of prices now that the bonus CVC is expiring but they are still my #1 ISP and quite possibly the best I've ever

my experience is similar to essence, ABB have FAR better service than telstra. my 250/20 is great, i get about 270/22 speeds wish i moved away from telstra earlier    

26 minutes ago, Batty said:

"There are 10 types of people on this earth, those that understand binary and those that do not" 

Hahaha, love it! 

My Telstra switch to ABB was painless, with a phone call, answered from Adelaide. Got 1 last pro rata bill, paid it and no more...

2 hours ago, DrSK said:

Unfortunately still have not shaken Telstra. 

Keep getting monthly bills for NBN despite not having a connection with them. 

They already made an adjustment to reduce to a pro rata amount to when we switched to Aussie Broadband. This took an hour in the phone with them. 

Now claiming late payment for balance of the rest of the month and further months billing. 

Send a registered letter with your story and claim harassment.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

my experience is similar to essence, ABB have FAR better service than telstra.

my 250/20 is great, i get about 270/22 speeds

wish i moved away from telstra earlier

• Like 2

We're on Optus - we get 18 up, 54 down pretty consistenly.

I think that's probably lousy, as it seemed *much* faster before cOVID.  😬

At least you can still ring ABB.

Telstra have no one answering the phones 'because of covid'.

One would think that the easiest way for people to work from home would be remote call center.

They are a dead set joke.

• Like 4

Goodate all

NBN tried to do a install last Thursday, couldnt find the old Telecom connection.

Nothing on the outside walls, nothing under the house except for 33 years of spare car parts.

No wonder we always had problems with Telecom, we had a magic line.

They certanily knew how to bill us.

Been on Optus for 27 years as soon as the cable went up.

So now we are getting  a new connection from the kirb, which is what l wanted.😁

We are on FTC here.

Will keep you updated.

regards Bruce

15 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

At least you can still ring ABB.

Telstra have no one answering the phones 'because of covid'.

One would think that the easiest way for people to work from home would be remote call center.

They are a dead set joke.

not when most of your call centre was setup offshore and those people dont have the ability to work from home (or office)..

some companies have adapted quite  well, some have not

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Hytram said:

not when most of your call centre was setup offshore and those people dont have the ability to work from home (or office)..

some companies have adapted quite  well, some have not

They have plenty of staff in Australia to answer technical calls...............but they aren't.

ABB are very open and transparent about their CVC, and yes they are putting up a couple of prices now that the bonus CVC is expiring but they are still my #1 ISP and quite possibly the best I've ever dealt with.

Before the shutdowns I averaged 95 / 35 on my 100/40 connection, with peak time dips occasionally into the high 80s. Now I'm seeing 102/38 most of the time and peak hour dips barely below 95.

Their tech support are actually knowledgeable and aren't just reading scripts, you can ask a technical question and they actually know what you are talking about.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, GaryT said:

Their tech support are actually knowledgeable and aren't just reading scripts, you can ask a technical question and they actually know what you are talking about.

Think I've already posted my experience, but yes. Couldn't agree more. 

Had odd issues with access to data servers and devices using ftp being blocked. Zero run around or transfers required. She knew the likely issue right away, changed some security settings her end and I was back up in running in a couple of minutes. 

• Like 2

I understand NBN performance is area-dependent, but I would say that my local area is impatiently waiting for 5G.  In fact I couldn't wait and now pay for 2 separate broadband connections so that we can share the pathetic bandwidth among family members.  It's a third world service at first world prices. 😭

• 1 month later...

On Aussie Broadband 1gbps fibre to the premises..... Fluctuates between 120 and 800mbps depending on time of day. That said the cost isn't much more than 100mbps so can't really complain. Still, considering I'm paying for 1gbps it's still pretty shitty. Performance is all over the place.

Using the standard NBN router into a mesh consisting of 2x Xiaomi AX3600 and 1x AX1800 routers which gives excellent performance around the house. Don't ask me why though I always get better results from mesh networks even if a given network is technically slower (1st gen Google Wi-Fi for example) than a single more powerful router. With the AX3600 though I can run multiple more powerful routers for a better overall result.

The AX1800 is really just for a piece of stereo gear that doesn't have Wi-Fi. I just run a CAT6 cable between it and the AX1800.

Edited by MattyW
On 11/08/2020 at 9:26 PM, tripitaka said:

I understand NBN performance is area-dependent

Different areas have different technology (which affects available speeds) ... but otherwise, the "area dependance" of it, is to do with how your ISP serves different areas.... not the NBN.

On 11/08/2020 at 9:26 PM, tripitaka said:

I couldn't wait.

So you don't have the NBN yet? ....or? (wireless?!)

On 01/10/2020 at 10:21 AM, MattyW said:

On Aussie Broadband 1gbps fibre to the premises..... Fluctuates between 120 and 800mbps depending on time of day. That said the cost isn't much more than 100mbps so can't really complain. Still, considering I'm paying for 1gbps it's still pretty shitty. Performance is all over the place.

How do you test it?  (you don't mean via wireless do you)

There's so much more to the internet than just you -> your ISP.

I've never tried my ABB connection above 50mbps  (I have other providers, and one of them I sometimes run at 1gbps) ... but annecdotes are that anything well connected to the ABB network will mostly max the link most of the time.

Is your router up to the challenge?.... so often WAN ports crumble at >> 100mbps.

On 01/10/2020 at 10:21 AM, MattyW said:

Using the standard NBN router

Do you mean the one ABB provided?... I'm not familiar with it.

5 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Different areas have different technology (which affects available speeds) ... but otherwise, the "area dependance" of it, is to do with how your ISP serves different areas.... not the NBN.

So you don't have the NBN yet? ....or? (wireless?!)

so, in my area 'NBN' was a total misnomer since it was using the same 1990s hybrid fibre copper cables that were always there, yet was suddenly labelled (and sold as) the NBN.

In total frustration with the sh*tty performance which had actually been deteriorating for years,  I purchased an additional wirless 4G service, which was ok despite stingy data limits...and then it's performance dived and I cancelled that 😞

In the meantime, the pseudo-NBN has actually improved quite a lot, so I have no idea whats going on there 🙂

1 hour ago, tripitaka said:

1990s hybrid fibre copper cables

Will go just as fast as the FTTP part of the network in the medium-term.... assuming that's what people vote for.

yet was suddenly labelled (and sold as) the NBN.

Yes.... quite a bit changed.... even though it's the same wire into your house from the street.

In the meantime, the pseudo-NBN has actually improved quite a lot, so I have no idea whats going on there 🙂

Parts of the HFC network were not in very good condition.    It took longer than "expected" (in quotes, as they should have known about it, grrrr) to fix it.

LOL!

When I worked in Sydney CBD you often came across cotton and paper covered cables from the 19th Century.

I suspect a lot of them are still in service.

Edited by LogicprObe
12 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

I suspect a lot of them are still in service.

I would be surprised if still in use for even voice.... or if anyone could run xDSL over them.

... but regardless.  NBN is instructed to provide everyone with 25mbps minimum (later 50mbps) ..... and so if someone doesn't get that, whatever needs to be replaced/fixed, gets replaced.

Attainable speeds are set to rise quite a lot for the 30% of households in the FTTN in th future ..... and that's even before you consider the recently announced conversions to FTTC (ie. up to 90% of households could attain >> 100mbps, likely 1gbps) .... athough the future politics could get more interesting.

There's no reason to think (based on what's currently in the lab) that you can't pull many many! gbps over our FTTN copper rollout converted to FTTC (nodes outside every few houses, rather than ever couple of blocks) .... even tbps perhaps.

The "future politics" part of "the MTM approach" was always the core problem..... not so much the "using old technology" aspect.

Edited by davewantsmoore

I have been offered up to 250mbps, I cannot understand why I would need this speed atm, the 100mbps is more than adequate.

On 03/10/2020 at 10:25 AM, Batty said:

I have been offered up to 250mbps, I cannot understand why I would need this speed atm, the 100mbps is more than adequate.

I'd take it if I could get it, but use the cloud for all work files. And get over waiting for stuff to open at 104Mbps over NBN.

That is after getting used to 250Mbps on wireless 4GX near the city. Keen to check out 5G.

But at least ABB's 100 plan I'm on runs 20Mbps faster than Telstra's 100 plan and is $20 less than Telstra. 

I had the NBN connected the beginning of last year I think and I am with Aussie.

I had all the weird scenarios happen, even helped the first NBN tech who came out pull through the fibre as it wasnt in my part of the street.

Got around 80 metres of rope out of that.

Anyway, I had joined the 100/40 unlimited with Aussie and it's been great, until a cable broke in the house and I was advised by the Tech to get a Netgear Nighthawk wireless router with 4 of the matching Dongles and use that in the meantime until I got someone to go through the house and find where the break was.

So I did that. Now I have 100/40 wireless. I thought that was amazing seeing we are a gaming family with 4 computers throughout out the house plus Telstra TV via Roku in my bedroom and my eldest son's bedroom. I can do a speed test anytime and get figures in the 90's download and the 30's upload. No extender's and I'm about 30 metre away from the Wireless router. This is on 5 G .

So, for me it worked out well. Happy as.:afro:

Edited by Wimbo
  • Like 1

We had NBN connected last month, FTC

Every time we do a  speed test it comes back with 90-92Mbs, very happy with that.

Hasnt dropped out, so for the moment it seems all good.

l do think the modem Optus gives you is crap, so we just use it as a gateway and let our TP link do the DNS and wirless work.

regards Bruce

My bigpond cable got disconnected in February so i had no choice but to go with NBN. I chose aussie broadband based on a couple of word of mouth recommendations. Been very happy with them so far. We are on the 100/40 tier and my speedtest results are usually between 100 and 108 mpbs down and 37-38 upload.

Regards Tony

In the Coffs Harbour area, we were one of the first places in the country to get connected to the NBN - all FTTP. before the FTTN crap came in.

While  I personally don't need the download/upload speeds which some others would like, I am not happy that Australia lags so far behind most comparable economies. Many Australian individuals and businesses could really benefit with the speeds which are available in other countries.  In a global economy, this matters.

In December 2019 we ranked 32 out of 34 OECD countries (and 68th globally), with average download speeds of 41.78 Mbps, while the global average is 73.58.

We had average upload speeds of 18.77Mbps, compared to the global average of 40.39.

New Zealand  ranked 14 OECD, and 24 globally with average 103.38 downloads.

In the August 2020 Speedtest Global Index, we came in at 61 globally with an average 54.55 Mbps for fixed broadband.

Singapore, ranked 1, had 218.07 average. Hungary 156.66 (10th), Andorra 129.69 (21), Barbados 95.36 (39) etc.

Global Average 84.33 downloads,

At least our mobile speeds were better - 68.23 Mbps (ranked 9).  Singapore at 113.01 was first.

Global average 34.82 Mbps download (mobile).

Labor had planned 93% FTTP, compared to the hybrid shambles we have ended up with, at a cost which will be similar to what could have been achieved with mostly FTTP (as the cost of such has dropped considerably in the last 4-5 years globally, as was predicted would occur).

To add to the good news, today's Sydney Morning Herald reports that

*  More than 850 employees at the NBN are paid above $200,000 p.a., with three quarters of the NBN workforce earning 6 figure salaries.

*  110 are paid between $300,000 and $400,000.  34 receive over $400,000 before bonuses,

*  Between February and June, at the height of the CV pandemic, NBN Co spent $265,000 on entertainment and function expenses.

*  Figures provided to the Senate committee .....as of September 9, 4859 0f the 6300 employees are paid in excess of $100,000 pa, including 733 employees on salaries of $200,000 to $300,000.

*  On Tuesday NBN Co received an additional $4.5 billion in the Federal Budget for an upgrade by 2023 to improve the speeds available.

*  CEO Stephen Rue received a $1.7 million salary package in 2019 and an extra $828,000 in short term incentives.

So, that's our NBN, and that's how we stand when compared to other countries.

Overall conclusion?   "Can do better"!

• Like 1

Couple of quick things to add:

1. Other sites such as webfx report different average speeds per country.  Rankings remain similar.

2. Has any SNA members looked at TasmaNet?   Interesting speeds etc.  May be worth a look?

3. Bahnhof in Sweden is offering "Sweden's fastest broadband in city networks; Speeds up to 1 Gbit/s".

A couple of years ago there was talk of up to 10 Gbit/s from Bahnhof, at around 50USD per month or similar.

We have a way to go down here.

6 hours ago, parrasaw said:

To add to the good news, today's Sydney Morning Herald reports that

*  More than 850 employees at the NBN are paid above $200,000 p.a., with three quarters of the NBN workforce earning 6 figure salaries.

*  110 are paid between $300,000 and $400,000.  34 receive over $400,000 before bonuses,

All this information about what people earn in the NBN is useless unless it's compared to the same jobs in other telecommunications companies 

I haven't seen a massive chur of jobs to the NBN over the years so I don't think they are paying above average on the most part. 

Pay peanuts, get monkeys 

Very easy to earn 6 figures these days of you are qualified and work OT in the telecommunications sector (don't even need the OT) 

Edited by Hytram

My NBN is fortunately FTTP (i suspect there must be some pollies living nearby 😉) and has been relatively glitch free.  Originally  went with 50/20 but i moved it up to 100/40 at the very start of the WFH 'iso' time.

Very occasionally i do run speedtest and it has always been around 92/36 ..so pretty close.  A few weeks ago however when i randomly checked it was running around 54/30 ...WFH or WTF? ...so i sent a pointed email.  Tech responded next morning saying it looked good from their remote test, and when i checked it was now running at 102+ ...better than it ever has...happy days....yo, man, i guilted them good XD

Checked again tonight, still all good 100+ sweeeeet

Cheers

Ticc

6 hours ago, Hytram said:

All this information about what people earn in the NBN is useless unless it's compared to the same jobs in other telecommunications companies 

I haven't seen a massive chur of jobs to the NBN over the years so I don't think they are paying above average on the most part. 

Pay peanuts, get monkeys 

Very easy to earn 6 figures these days of you are qualified and work OT in the telecommunications sector (don't even need the OT) 

I put in a few points from the SMH article only because it was public information which was made widely available yesterday.

After leaving school in the early 80s, our oldest son did a Telstra apprenticeship ( when Telstra was owned by, and returned an annual profit to the taxpayer).  He worked for them as a  highly skilled techie for more than 30 years.  I have nothing but respect for the knowledge and work which is required for installation of the NBN network, and agree with you about the money that is paid to those doing that work. - for their knowledge, experience and skill levels, they are certainly not overpaid.

Not so sure about the salaries and bonuses which paid to some of those at the highest levels in some of our largest corporations (but that is a separate discussion).

The other information about broadband speeds which are available in other countries is a concern though, I think.

For the public investment (more than $51 billion and counting) we should have access to a system which provides better.

As I said, I don't need more than I can access, but it would be useful to many businesses and individuals if they could access better, and that was the main purpose behind my contribution.

18 hours ago, parrasaw said:

3. Bahnhof in Sweden is offering "Sweden's fastest broadband in city networks; Speeds up to 1 Gbit/s".

A couple of years ago there was talk of up to 10 Gbit/s from Bahnhof, at around 50USD per month or similar.

We have a way to go down here.

Interesting, Paul. I've just had a look at Bahnhof and the 10 Gbit/s plan (10 up/10 down) has now been made available to customers. Cost is approximately $65 per month. Very impressive, at least at first glance.

I'm finding a bit more initial latency compared to my adsl connection.

Once things get going its not slow.

I am also finding it diffcult to fully enjoy my NBN connection as it comes with a AR129 "huawei" business gateway.

It does not even allow for the SSID to be hidden.

My 10 year old netgear has this functionality.

On 04/10/2020 at 6:11 AM, LogicprObe said:

I have FTTH and they just dropped my upload speed from 40 to 20 unless I pay extra! 

Who is "they"?......  Note: That (the upload) is actually the bit that costs ISPs money.    On the internet you have to pay to send data places.

On 09/10/2020 at 5:59 PM, parrasaw said:

Overall conclusion?   "Can do better"!

Indeed... but it will only be a long term shambles if the political will to keep upgrading the network goes away (ie. if it gets sold without sufficient regulation).

The copper parts of the network will be capable of quite high speeds in the medium term..... many 100s of mbps for most of the current FTTN network..... and many any gbps for anywhere with nodes close to homes (eg. FTTB and FTTC.... and most of the curretn FTTN once the 2023 upgrade is done).

People are quick to call it a basket-case because of the technology or rollout decisions used..... and I agree there were bad decision...... but the real meat in the sandwich is the ownership and/or regulation..... and right now the mentality of the people is generally "government can't be trusted to NBN... so selling it wil be fine".

.... but that is the trap.    Sell it, maybe... but be very very careful about who controls the future (ie. you shoud get a vote about it and the policies should be designed to help you..... not a money for old rope corporation).

On 09/10/2020 at 6:36 PM, parrasaw said:

2. Has any SNA members looked at TasmaNet?

Yes... They are local here... and I have been a business customer (server hosting, etc.)

On 09/10/2020 at 6:36 PM, parrasaw said:

You can nearly get that here (1gbps) .... well for double the price.

~90% of households will have access (or at least speeds which are close) by 2023.

In the federal treasurers seat I get constant 100mbit download speeds via nbn HFC

Edited by grorr76
On 13/10/2020 at 1:35 PM, davewantsmoore said:

Who is "they"?......  Note: That (the upload) is actually the bit that costs ISPs money.    On the internet you have to pay to send data places.

Aussie Broadband.

6 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

Aussie Broadband.

Same here. They told me that they’re going to cut me back from 100/40 to 100/20, or charge an extra $10 per month.

7 hours ago, Steffen said:

Same here. They told me that they’re going to cut me back from 100/40 to 100/20, or charge an extra $10 per month.

This was the fastest plan available to me at the time but the new faster plans are a big jump in price.

Even though it's my business connection, it's hard to justify paying 50% more.