Luc

Luc's Bread

Supplies and panic buying got me thinking about that old trope; " be part of the solution and not the problem"

So I headed down to my local hippy organic food store and stocked up on essential items.

The thinking being, that most of the sheep will head to the big supermarkets and there'll be empty shelves and displays of the behaviour that embarrass us as a nation.

Huge recycled paper bags full of organic flour,4 different types.

Bags and bags and bags of legumes, nuts, various meals (almond meal, civet droppings plucked on a full moon, that kinda stuff) and heaps of other healthy goodies that you pour into bags and then use the supplied pencil to tell the checkout people what you have.

Very enjoyable experience.

A quick Google, (well actually it was a quick Duck a go go) and I was soon on the path to baking my own sourdough bread.

Who knew! Healthy, cheap, exciting and at about $2 a loaf for artisan bread...a no brainier and you always have to many loaves so you give them away and then people start texting you for them.

I need to catch more fish and then I'll give that hippy guy from Bethlehem a run for his money...IMG_20200313_074007438.thumb.jpg.99308e8c70c249d65e72e48e908fabfc.jpgIMG_20200313_084356897.thumb.jpg.f88c3d9bd2afde3a9297d6ce8c61effb.jpgIMG_20200314_170016116.thumb.jpg.ed4bc6cc9b104025621e0419179825e6.jpg

The last pic is tomorrow's loaves in their 'proving baskets'

Every cloud has a silver lining and as we self isolate up here we're leaning new skills.

*Isolating as we're expecting the schools to perhaps close anytime soon and the Handbrake is an AP in special education and travels to many schools during her work day.

**Any starving SNA'ers just need to drop me a line and I'll post you a loaf of sour goodness😜

37 minutes ago, Luc said:

Supplies and panic buying got me thinking about that old trope; " be part of the solution and not the problem"

So I headed down to my local hippy organic food store and stocked up on essential items.

The thinking being, that most of the sheep will head to the big supermarkets and there'll be empty shelves and displays of the behaviour that embarrass us as a nation.

Bags and bags and bags of legumes, nuts, various meals (almond meal, civet droppings plucked on a full moon, that kinda stuff) and heaps of other healthy goodies that you pour into bags and then use the supplied pencil to tell the checkout people what you have.

A quick Google, (well actually it was a quick Duck a go go) and I was soon on the path to baking my own sourdough bread.

Who knew! Healthy, cheap, exciting and at about $2 a loaf for artisan bread...a no brainier and you always have to many loaves so you give them away and then people start texting you for them.

I need to catch more fish and then I'll give that hippy guy from Bethlehem a run for his money...IMG_20200313_074007438.thumb.jpg.99308e8c70c249d65e72e48e908fabfc.jpgIMG_20200313_084356897.thumb.jpg.f88c3d9bd2afde3a9297d6ce8c61effb.jpgIMG_20200314_170016116.thumb.jpg.ed4bc6cc9b104025621e0419179825e6.jpg

The last pic is tomorrow's loaves in their 'proving baskets' 352.56 kB · 0 downloads

Every cloud has a silver lining and as we self isolate up here we're leaning new skills.

*Isolating as we're expecting the schools to perhaps close anytime soon and the Handbrake is an AP in special education and travels to many schools during her work day.

**Any starving SNA'ers just need to drop me a line and I'll post you a loaf of sour goodness😜

Yum Recipe please ????

3 minutes ago, April Snow said:

Yum Recipe please ????

April, it takes a full day sometimes two days to produce 2 loaves(I have a normal oven and not a big arse one so it's one loaf at a time) But the first thing you need is the time and patience to make a 'Wild yeast starter' and then feed the damn thing. It's worse than a teething baby!

6 minutes ago, Luc said:

April, it takes a full day sometimes two days to produce 2 loaves(I have a normal oven and not a big arse one so it's one loaf at a time) But the first thing you need is the time and patience to make a 'Wild yeast starter' and then feed the damn thing. It's worse than a teething baby!

Yes I used to have a bread maker and used to make bread by hand too, but wondered what your recipe was 🙂

22 minutes ago, April Snow said:

Yes I used to have a bread maker and used to make bread by hand too, but wondered what your recipe was 🙂

I'll PM you if you really want to know but the central thing is the wild yeast starter, it's the be all and the end all of your loaf.

I have one that I'm feeding every 12 hours on the kitchen bench and one in the fridge that you feed once a week.

Those pics above of the two balls of dough in their proving baskets? Well one is half as big again and about to go into the oven and the other is going in the fridge for 14 hrs to slow prove in there.

Oven(fan forced) is at 220c and you put a dutch oven with lid in there.

I'll post some pics later rather than type it all out in this serious thread.

Hopefully the loaf will be a success,  but sometimes they fail😭

6 minutes ago, Luc said:

I'll PM you if you really want to know but the central thing is the wild yeast starter, it's the be all and the end all of your loaf.

I have one that I'm feeding every 12 hours on the kitchen bench and one in the fridge that you feed once a week.

Those pics above of the two balls of dough in their proving baskets? Well one is half as big again and about to go into the oven and the other is going in the fridge for 14 hrs to slow prove in there.

Oven(fan forced) is at 220c and you put a dutch oven with lid in there.

I'll post some pics later rather than type it all out in this serious thread.

Hopefully the loaf will be a success,  but sometimes they fail😭

Ok OK I have always just used dried yeast and made the same day and eaten the same day - yours sounds more complicated and involved 🙂

20 minutes ago, April Snow said:

Ok OK I have always just used dried yeast and made the same day and eaten the same day - yours sounds more complicated and involved 🙂

Not really, just a bit different. With dry yeast it's hard to get the sourness you need for sourdough.

The difference is like painting your house yourself or calling in the painters! In this case the 'painters' are dry yeast.😉

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Luc said:

Try leaving the yeast out and rolling it into a flat bread. That will allow it to be used as toilet paper as well. Two birds, one stone.

EDIT: This post was originally part of the corona virus thread, where it was in line with the conversation. It is not befitting of this thread and I'm happy to have it removed.

Edited by t_mike
This had covid-19.and should be isolated.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, cwt said:

You have prompted me to try Luc ; have run out of wholemeal flour will have to find some regular . ALDI never seem to have any nice thick fettucine in Newcastle :)

Tis a simple process.

IMG_20200213_160926953.thumb.jpg.a3d9e360e4e63366697404b8d435a6a6.jpg

Your dough. Then roll it

IMG_20200213_172147270.thumb.jpg.484674283aa0dbcafbffd669845a4bf9.jpgInto long sheetsIMG_20200213_172407484.thumb.jpg.6e2d4072373cac814ec9f315c1eaca5a.jpg

Then run it through your hand cutter

IMG_20200213_182415370.thumb.jpg.71faec83067bf8877ca5a3081b3c2e21.jpgFettuccine ready to boil.

#Things to do while self isolating No.2

Edited by Luc

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, April Snow said:

Luc's is sourdough......

Edited by stevoz

4 hours ago, Luc said:

I need to catch more fish and then I'll give that hippy guy from Bethlehem a run for his money...IMG_20200313_074007438.thumb.jpg.99308e8c70c249d65e72e48e908fabfc.jpg

Top stuff, mate.  Don't forget to bring some with you when you get around to visiting your daughter, down here!  :lol:

Andy

Looks good........

I saw a single "designer" bread roll in woolies today for $3.00!!! This looks like a winner @Luc

Forget about the insides. Just send me the crust. :)

4 hours ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Forget about the insides. Just send me the crust. :)

The crust is great also the hardest bit to get right I'm finding, too much moisture in the oven and it'll go as hard as ironbark.

Spotify/IPA/dough/hot oven=perfect afternoon.

Next experiment is making baguettes and fiddling with the starter by introducing other wild yeasts into it. Simple to do too, grapes and olives are covered in yeast so you drop a couple into the starter and take them out 12 hrs later and that's it. It'll change the flavour slightly.

The oldest starter in the world is San Francisco starter from the 1860's. As long as you feed your beastie every 12hrs or once a week if in a fridge, it'll live for ever.

(I've only recently found all this info out)

@betty boop al, thanks for moving my topic drift👍

2 hours ago, Luc said:

al, thanks for moving my topic drift👍

wasnt me @Luc but a great topic, deserves to stand on own right :) 

IMG_20200411_092537750.thumb.jpg.eb3ee4a5fbeb61b956cd56b7c99c477a.jpg

Rye40%, single origin Stone ground organic unbleached Baker's flour (or strong flour)50% and 10% stoneground organic wholemeal flour. Rye starter.

IMG_20200411_082325034.thumb.jpg.01b0798c25cb9c2139e264a865048c70.jpg

100% single origin unbleached single crush 'Spitfire' flour from North Star farm West of Mudgee(I think). (Was recently on Landline ABC)

Wholegrain and unbleached organic Baker's flour starter.. Autolyse is a massive 48 hours in fridge!

IMG_20200411_090909787.thumb.jpg.77fe66cb6d6cde847fb6d392d089875c.jpg

Have used a 'soaker' of Chia,poppy, roasted sesame seed.

The crumb on this bread is moist and it's been stretched and folded 6 times at 30 minutes intervals. It's practically a three day exercise to make it.

*As I'm the poster here I have total control of the content so your not going to see the failures and the extreme mess this pastime makes of a kitchen and the surrounds.

YUMMMM ..... I do wish I wasn't on a low carb intake .............. :):)

17 minutes ago, Ancientflatulence said:

YUMMMM ..... I do wish I wasn't on a low carb intake .............. :):)

The Handbrake has put on 1.5kgs and she's blaming my bread.

Whereas I'm just on a yeast diet, yeast in the morning of the solid variety and yeast in the late afternoon if the liquid variety.

Scales? They're for fish

On 14/03/2020 at 7:36 PM, Luc said:

Oven(fan forced) is at 220c

Best bread I ever baked was in the oven of an old coal range.

Funny how the aisles are full of bread but you canna get baking flour for love nor money.

Something about creating your own staple food in your own home in times of crisis. Ms Zingmore and I (and one of the junior Zingmores) have been having a go at sourdough.

This is my first attempt.

The starter, nice and bubbly: looks good enough to drink

IMG_0243.JPG.7b5f91afc5d9107bf97532d47bb752da.JPG

Letting it rise overnight:

IMG_0236.JPG.2859a0bd713adfbe87b2b23d2cea27dd.JPG

and the end result

IMG_0238.JPG.bfec7c99590829368b1e3bca53c6adb8.JPGIMG_0241.JPG.9f90fe265717a3a2cf894f74486e613e.JPG

Very very tasty. I was surprised at how yummy it was. But it's a bit underdone - the crust isn't dark enough and the inside is a touch undercooked.

Lots to learn… this is fun

Posted (edited)

Sir Ding-a-ling and I have been swapping bread stories today via the ph and he's been blessed with a 10 yr old Mother as 'starters' are called. It is truly bubbling in those pics isn't it. You can't ask for more from your starter if it's percolating like that.

His is a Rye based starter. Rye is a voracious feeder and will happily feed in a fridge environment as far as my reading of it goes.

I have two 'mothers' going, one is rye like Sir  Ding Dang's and the other is a suck it and see mother from white hard bakers flour, unbleached, single origin and stone ground.

These descriptives aren't wanky latte inner City or Byron Bay Newrybar/Bangalow BMW driver's wankery that they must have and be seen with.

The terms do mean something.

If you've read this far then keep reading as I unashamedly lift someone else's explanation of the differences.

.................................................................................................................................

Stone milling is nothing new — it’s the way flour was made for thousands of years before electricity came onto the scene — but lately, it’s having something of a renaissance.

The result? Flour is becoming as exciting an ingredient to explore as chocolate or butter. Here’s what you should know about stone-ground flours and how they’re different from the all-purpose stuff.

Stone-ground flours are thought to be more nutritionally sound because they contain the germ and bran. Incidentally, these are the parts that hold a lot of flavour, too. In fact, stone-ground flours can taste too strong for some eaters, as most people are used to baked goods where the flour stands in the background.

Roller-milled flour also tend to yield loftier baked goods. The bran in stone-ground flour acts like little knives when bread is trying to rise; it interrupts the formation of a strong gluten matrix on which the dough can climb. In roller-milled flour, that dough can climb that matrix like a sky-hungry rock climber. (Although of course, it’s still possible to make leaden loaves with standard-issue white flour.)

Another difference: Because of the volatile fats in the germ and bran, stone-ground flours spoil more quickly; it’s best to use them within three to six months of their milling. Some mills will even stamp or write the milling date right on the bag.

...................................................................................................

So flavour is in the mix there and that's the whole idea of sourdough I reckon:- Flavour.

You'll never eat plastic wrapped supermarket bread again and there's a good chance you'll not eat your local bakery's stuff again once you get into a routine with home baked  stuff.

Edited by Luc

Doing this from ph so excuse the mistakes.

I timed the rise of my starter over two days feeding, got serious about it. Timed it so I had my dough mixed and ready for the inclusion of salt and the leavain (starter) as it peaked.

The recipe was my third attempt at it. The previous two had been good and ok in that sequence.

But this morning after a two day build and prep, I got up at 5.45 and turned the coffee machine on and the oven.

Long story short... It turned out beautifully. Result my best loaf so far. And I'll not taste it till tomorrow as it's a gift to the people who gave me their very special flour.

IMG_20200416_202729947.thumb.jpg.75878f0d3674148d04033008086233fb.jpg

Prepared proving basket ready

IMG_20200416_202741406.thumb.jpg.16b0d625fc93dc735bf654044d304415.jpg

Dough ready and about to be put in the fridge for 16 hrs.IMG_20200416_203617738.thumb.jpg.e895e7de2d3fb8998ce53b0bc05be15d.jpg

Pulled out of the oven a bit later on

IMG_20200417_083052247.thumb.jpg.87b5b6a8023794aeb1769e74bed2ee39.jpgIMG_20200417_082044756.thumb.jpg.9fccdf7b83ed5bd2aa7c64e7a230ab24.jpg

And this build is really really moist even after being cooked at 260c temps.Screenshot_20200417-121715.thumb.png.e7ae7898de633af148446c7a6e640c3d.png

It's an insane taste.

I'm looking forward to Sir Zung Mores What?'s next loaf.

* Feel free to post your own fails and successes!