Bunno77

Whites Anti Vibration Squares

Just added some of these Whites Anti Vibe Squares to my Dynaudio monitors that sit on my TV unit after seeing them mentioned in a few recent threads like the Isoacoustics and Laminate flooring.

I use Isoacoustics Gaia 2s with my Floorstanders and SVS soundpath feet with my subs but the Dyns don't have a threaded insert to accept spikes etc. Have had some rubber offcuts under the Dyns but the new Whites Pads were an instant improvement. Not on the same scale as Isoacoustics but for $4 definitely can't complain.

The Whites Pads are a bit firmer than I thought they would be but definitely stop some transfer into my cabinet that can be felt by hand at times and I guess they are stopping the TV unit from singing.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-50-x-50-x-12mm-anti-vibration-squares-8-pack_p3961977

5a783afb-1c59-41a5-97dd-fc1259ff2d09.png

IMG_20200314_161919309.jpg

Cool solution 

Posted (edited)

They have larger pads that are more porous/softer with lager air spaces between the rubber particles in them, these are what I prefer for things that are not real heavy, and I'll even cut them into smaller blocks to reduce the contact surface. I also have the firmer type but prefer this.

I used this composition cut into smaller pieces under my ML-1's

https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-on-site-100-x-12-5mm-rubber-anti-vibration-mat-4-pack_p3961547

index.jpg.135346d0a187b01bf657848b62ebc195.jpg

Edited by muon*

Do you put one in each corner, or the whole speaker surface. Hard to tell from the photo. I have some bookcase speakers on my study desk. Worth a go and cheap enough. Thanks for the info guys.

7 minutes ago, muon* said:

They have larger pads that are more porous/softer with lager air spaces between the rubber particles in them, these are what I prefer for things that are not real heavy, and I'll even cut them into smaller blocks to reduce the contact surface. I also have the firmer type but prefer this.

I used this composition cut into smaller pieces under my ML-1's

https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-on-site-100-x-12-5mm-rubber-anti-vibration-mat-4-pack_p3961547

index.jpg.135346d0a187b01bf657848b62ebc195.jpg

Yes, I reckon these softer ones might be better isolation for your Dyns. I use the small ones under my floorstanders - I think they might be a bit too solid for anything lighter.

@muon* Thanks for that, my speakers are 3kgs lighter than your ML1s so the lighter pads will no doubt be better suited. I didn't see those today only the roll. Next time I am in there I might grab what you suggested and maybe put the smaller squares under my amp

1 minute ago, needlerunner said:

Do you put one in each corner, or the whole speaker surface. Hard to tell from the photo. I have some bookcase speakers on my study desk. Worth a go and cheap enough. Thanks for the info guys.

each corner but tucked in at the moment just so not so visible and looks like they are floating. I will try them on the edges soon

3 minutes ago, buddyev said:

Yes, I reckon these softer ones might be better isolation for your Dyns. I use the small ones under my floorstanders - I think they might be a bit too solid for anything lighter.

Would have grabbed them if I saw them today. Still an immediate improvement with the harder ones though and didn't break the bank :)

Posted (edited)

A small block of it in each corner, you also see the ones at the back because they are further away, I cut them into 3cm x 3cm pieces. can get a few pieces out of one or two of the 100mm x 100mm ones.

I use the smallest amount of blu tack on each side to help hold them in place, like a match head amount flattened out.

2133573492_20200215_204038a.jpg.cfc576d8b442c68d80f8db7770af587d.jpg

Edited by muon*

Yeah I've used these under the plinth on my TT.  I found noticeable improvements. I've recently moved to squash balls (x8) for about $40, so more expensive but better again.

As stated, these pads at $4, it's a no brainer to give them a go

i have them under all my components and speakers. for me they havent made any noticeable difference but imo they protect my components from vibrations which is a good thing.

I've been using them for a while under my granite slab where my TT sits on. I have no idea if they make an improvement, they replaced the squashballs that were completely flattened by the wieght of the TT.

I've also used them under my bookshelf stands.

I'm tempted to do an A/B test on my speakers to see if they change the sound in any way.

Best $8.00 I've ever spent.

Posted (edited)

Yup, it comes in all sorts of forms and densities.

The Whites anti-vibration stuff that is.

Edited by muon*

1 hour ago, dolphy said:

they replaced the squashballs that were completely flattened by the wieght of the TT.

Not enough squash balls!

Was in Bunnings yesterday and noticed those 1 Metre Square Gym Mats are made of exactly the same stuff for 31$. Thats 4-6 pieces of gear.. Self Isolated :) 

You should be able to tune the compliance of the pads and suit them better to the load they have to carry - drill larger holes in them or cut the pads to make the contact area smaller. You will maximize energy absorption if you allow for more static travel under load - roughly 30-50% of the unloaded state.  With stiff rubber that can be fairly difficult to achieve but it does not hurt to try and play with them a bit. 

These things are gold. $4.  I have sunk them under Everything!

Combine them with platforms made from Aldi chopping boards and they look great too!

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

These things are gold. $4.  I have sunk them under Everything!

Combine them with platforms made from Aldi chopping boards and they look great too!

I’m using a granite offcut (I spray painted it gloss black to match) with the squishier white’s.

49EF6E85-C7BC-4553-A3CC-C19C5342DEAC.jpeg

@Flayed I don’t believe I have seen the squishier whites, I have the normal 8 pack under pretty much everything audio 😁.

Whats the squishier one called? Thought of giving it a try.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ozflyer said:

@Flayed I don’t believe I have seen the squishier whites, I have the normal 8 pack under pretty much everything audio 😁.

Whats the squishier one called? Thought of giving it a try.

The larger squishier ones, as opposed to the smaller firmer ones (both in the thread, and I believe the ones you’re referring to).

Edited by Flayed

I put the squares (in the original post) under my (heavy floor-standing) Vandersteen speakers, and notices an improvement in the sound quality and soundstaging.  Fantastic improvement for the price.  I later put the speakers on spikes, which produced a further improvement compared to the Whites.   I have used the Whites as feet under a few components, rather than use the standard rubber feet - I thought it wouldn't do any harm.  I'm also incorporating the Whites squares as feet under a heavy stacked plinth I'm making.