NEW Lenehan Loudspeaker

Lenehan Audio

"they should be running in a week".    If it wasn't for the current restrictions on entries from NSW, I would be doing a bit of running of my own.....up north, to have a serious listen to these little beauties and also the ML5s.

Hopefully that can occur some time in the next few months?

• Administrator
On 19/10/2020 at 6:42 PM, Sansui77 said:

The front design looks very similar to the Avalon accoustics speakers with eliminating reflections. 

There are many, many speaker designer(s) that use this approach.

Can't wait to see/hear this new design @Lenehan Audio - would be nice to get one more hi-fi show and/or roadshow under your belt before retirement mate. The last hurrah! It will be a sad day when you retire.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/10/2020 at 1:42 PM, Lenehan Audio said:

Hi Lads.     Ok there is another prototype! More conventional looking , similar to an ML2 but 15% more volume . 
The original prototype is still viable but requires a lot more design work !! So the ML2 type enclosure is proven to have very low energy storage and low waveform refractive distortion from the baffle . 
they should be running in about 1 week

How does it sound?  Happy with it?  How does it compare to the unique design you were working on?

• Like 1

Hi All

Just spoke to Mike - finally fired up the first prototype.   It shows, his exact words, great potential, but still needs further tweaking for optimum results.   Stay tuned.   As soon as Mike thinks it is in a reasonable enough state I will brave the pandemic and go down for a listen.

Thanks

Bill 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bhobba said:

Hi All

Just spoke to Mike - finally fired up the first prototype.   It shows, his exact words, great potential, but still needs further tweaking for optimum results.   Stay tuned.   As soon as Mike thinks it is in a reasonable enough state I will brave the pandemic and go down for a listen.

Thanks

Bill 

The final design looks pretty much identical to your Magnesium Limiteds, apart from the tweeter. It's going to be interesting to hear these, but I must say I'm very happy with the wonderful *all round* performance of the Peerless HDS drivers on my ML2 Ltds, along with the fact that it's practical to use Duelund CAST with them.

• 1 month later...
On 12/06/2020 at 7:56 PM, Lenehan Audio said:

Ok. I found this pic on my phone !  Someone please tell they look ok ?

the foam baffle by the way is just a prototype so is not yet finalised . 
cheers Mike Lenehan 

2DE96F7E-58B6-4BB4-8FA0-930C085BB354.jpeg

Always admire your original approach on the design and build ??

• Like 1

On 12/06/2020 at 10:09 PM, Lenehan Audio said:

The baffle will be Foam and it must be an exact density . It's part of the design . Solid baffles are a no no for sound .    Mike

I'd be interested in the theory behind a foam baffle? Not sure if this thread is the right place for that question though...

Assuming that the drivers are fixed to the baffle i would have thought it would be desirable for the baffle to have heroic rigidity to prevent flex from the movement of the drive units.  Some degree of dampening would presumably be desirable as well, to prevent ringing.

Are these new speakers a rear ported design?

One final thought, perhaps an over-reach, would be to consider a waveguide for the tweeter. A lot of designers will use waveguides  to lower the crossover point, meaning the crossover needs less "compromise".  The trade-off being the engineering of the waveguide.

Whatever the final outcome, I'll watch with interest and hope to hear this design someday!

• Like 1

On 27/12/2020 at 9:04 PM, Stereophilus said:

One final thought, perhaps an over-reach, would be to consider a waveguide for the tweeter. A lot of designers will use waveguides  to lower the crossover point, meaning the crossover needs less "compromise".  The trade-off being the engineering of the waveguide.

FYI, here is a picture of the tweeter used...

image.png.c313882eb28a274a7a2488090358cdb9.png

And a pics of the tweeter with  wave guide as used in the above designs and the ML5 Reference if I am not mistaken... 

image.png.ea908fd736af6a71efc7b519ebbddaa1.pngimage.png.94b2bad5385d5067157f1c41c7993355.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Just spoke to Mike yesterday.

He is still working on getting it just right.   The issue was the bass was not quite up to his standards.   The rest was even better than my 'prototypes'.  He has been trying all sorts of things then hit on the idea of trying a closed box.   That fixed it.   But it will now not go as low. To help with that he thinking of trying a Variovent which he has used before. and in his view produces the best bass of all:

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Variovent.htm

The quality of the bass is excellent, but it will not go as low (about halfway between a closed and ported design).   That is where it stands right now.   This is taking longer then Mike thought.

Thanks

Bill

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Hi All 

Yup this one requires a lot of work in respect of bass loading ! I’m currently building a new enclosure which will incorporate a custom designed aperiodic vent .

im hoping to achieve a -3db point of around 40hz . 
so far Bills prototype Magnesium’s are the best speaker I have built and also the best speaker I have ever heard . 
I just had to try the new Graphene Magnesium .

should only be another few weeks before this next phase is completed. 
stay tuned Lads.     Regards Mike 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't suppose it's possible to build a two way with an isobaric driver? Is the gap to big between the breakdown into modes in the isobaric chamber and a tweeter?

On 19/01/2021 at 7:27 AM, Southie Adam said:

@bhobba

So the original foam baffle design has been but aside. So too the ML2 like larger box by the sound of it.

What is the design of the closed box? Similar to the ML2 again or back to the foam baffle?

Due to the pandemic I have been unable to get down there to see the latest prototype.   And even worse at the moment my car is in for a service where they discovered it had fungus all the way through the inside (not the engine).   The mechanics can't work on it until that is fixed.   I have a detailer coming out Monday  week to get rid of it (they have something called a 'bomb' they are confident will do it).   Nobody I know has never had this happen to them, and only one person has ever heard it happening to someone else.   I did bump the left hand front of the car dodging a cat and have noticed my air con is on the blink since then.   Knew it was going in for a service soon so didn't get it looked at then.   The theory is it may have damaged the air conditioning which spread a fungus that got in the air conditioning filter through the car.   Really weird.   But anyway when fixed will go down to Mike and have a look at the current prototype and maybe listen to it.

Thanks

Bill 

• Like 1

Hi Bill,

My wife has had a lung disease from birth and mould is the one thing that you don't want anyway near her. We use a mix of white vinegar and a few tea spoons of clove oil. It's the clove oil that kills the mould. We spray it on anything we want to clean or protect against mould. 

I hope this bit of info helps.

Cheers,

Pim

• Like 4

On 24/10/2020 at 3:06 PM, Marc said:

Twould be nice to get one more hi-fi show and/or roadshow under your belt before retirement mate. The last hurrah! It will be a sad day when you retire.

Hope you can make it Mark.

But Mike may have one last speaker left in him after this - a high efficiency one using the Seas Exotic Woofer.

Thanks

Bill

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I listened to what I believe is Mike’s latest revised version last week, it had astounding bass for a stand mount and that was not even its actual strong point. Even though they were a prototype I would be rapt to own them, seriously, I hate to use one of Mike’s lines but they were the best sounding stand mounts I have ever heard. 

I’m really looking forward to the finalised version.

cheers,

Terry

• Like 5

10 hours ago, TerryO said:

I listened to what I believe is Mike’s latest revised version last week, it had astounding bass for a stand mount and that was not even its actual strong point. Even though they were a prototype I would be rapt to own them, seriously, I hate to use one of Mike’s lines but they were the best sounding stand mounts I have ever heard. 

I’m really looking forward to the finalised version.

cheers,

Terry

What did they look like? The self professed 'ugly' ones, the ML2 looking one or something else?