NEW Lenehan Loudspeaker

Lenehan Audio

Hi all   

been a long time since I have posted ! mainly because of a new loudspeaker or should I say a new concept .  Some of you may know I've been designing a new loudspeaker for Bill Hobba called the Magnesium limited .  This speaker uses the 5.5inch Seas Magnesium bass driver and the Morel 1 inch neodynium tweeter.  After what was a long long time with Xover design we ended up with a loudspeaker that exceeded the performance of the drivers I currently use in my ML1 ML2 and ML5 loudspeakers

At 65 years old I was seriously considering retiring at the end of the year ! was it boredom ? anyway back to why I'm fired up now !  These new Magnesiums are simply incredible and finally exceed what the Peerless Nomex drivers are capable of , let me explain why I virtually retired with the Peerless Nomex's .  These drivers use Carbon fibre impregnated synthetic paper cones . OK so what ?  We all know that lightweight paper cones produce exception midrange sound but are not that great in the bass . The main reason for this is that the paper produces superb vocal and mid sound because of papers low moving mass and it's ability to dampen mid harmonic resonances at the top of it's passband.

So with the Peerless nomex drivers we have a situation where the nomex behaves very much like paper in the mids but also has a carbon filament which makes the drivers sound like more rigid bextrene or composite diaphragm drivers which equates to excellent bass.  (is anyone bored to death yet ? )

OK I've tried all the expensive super drivers and ! well ! sorry but no go , the rather inexpensive Peerless Nomex 830883 bass driver at $120 simply beats them .  UNTIL now ! I will be using the new Seas W19NX-001 Graphene Magnesium woofer and Seas T35 Exotic 35mm tweeter in a new design .  

Theres a lot more to this story so I will continue tomorrow ( I need another Chivas Regal and dry )           Cheers Mike Lenehan 

• Like 21

Congratulations Mike. We should all be so lucky as to have our passion and drive burn as fiercely as yours does. Great work. Can't wait to hear them, and indeed see the examples online and later in the flesh! 

As an aside, allow me to (humbly) grant you the permission to upgrade your dram from blended scotch to a lovely single malt. No dry necessary (or allowed). 

Edited by Galactic Soap

8 hours ago, Galactic Soap said:

Congratulations Mike. We should all be so lucky as to have our passion and drive burn as fiercely as yours does. Great work. Can't wait to hear them, and indeed see the examples online and later in the flesh! 

As an aside, allow me to (humbly) grant you the permission to upgrade your dram from blended scotch to a lovely single malt. No dry necessary (or allowed). 

OK  Galactic  done ! I'll take a case of Limeburners Single malt as a deposit on the new speakers :)   No Dry  

• Like 1

OK  let me first explain that this new speaker will be designed as a final effort or product so it will be built specifically for sound quality !  or absolute accuracy to the source its being fed by . It is likely to be considered too unattractive or strange to be considered by some audiophiles and certainly by 99% of better halves.

My brother Russell's initial comment was ! too weird Lad , you wont sell them !!   Ok be that as it may I'm building these speakers for myself in any case. 

So we are looking at a 2 way standmount with integrated 3Hz isolation stand , they will weigh about 80kgs each .Drivers will be the Seas W19 graphene Magnesium woofer and T35 Exotic tweeter. (both drivers will be significantly modified)

The front baffle will be made of foam and the bass enclosure will be a rather strange affair . .

This will definately be a speaker that will not be accepted by the better half  !!!  Theres no way those things are going in my lounge room !!

I cant say absolutely but this speaker will probably be the speaker I will retire with in my own system .  I'm interested to know what you guys think of this concept ?                            Cheers Mike Lenehan

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have been lucky enough to see the new design concept and I think Mike is selling his new design short on how it will end up looking, anyway time will tell, either way I can’t wait to hear them when they are finally built.
By the way the new Magnesium Limiteds that Mike has been building for Bill sound pretty damn amazing.

cheers,

Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

everyone is hanging out to see pics of these (or at least of Bill's - it's not clear whether they are the same speaker)

HI Trevor 

Bills Magnesiums look identical to an ML2 . This initial prototype design was really a proof of concept speaker .

It took a mountain of R&D on the Xovers to make that very difficult Magnesium driver work properly. 

The new design actually uses the latest version of the magnesium driver in Bills speakers . We are also going to use the Seas Exotic T35 which is certainly the best High frequency driver I have heard.

I will be starting on the first prototype this week so we are looking at a few weeks before I'll have any pics. 

Cheers Mike lenehan

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lenehan Audio said:

OK  Galactic  done ! I'll take a case of Limeburners Single malt as a deposit on the new speakers :)   No Dry  

That's more like it! Tell you what - when the NSW tour of these speakers kicks off I'll bring a bottle of Limeburners Single Malt and we can toast your achievement. Looking forward to seeing pictures. 

Looking forward to some photos of the new creation. Mentioning the 3Hz isolation in the stands has got me thinking again about upgrading my ML2 References. All the best to everyone re the COVID-19 business. Drinking single-malt could be a good prevention move...off now to Dan Murphy!

Cheers

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/03/2020 at 4:36 PM, Lenehan Audio said:

OK  let me first explain that this new speaker will be designed as a final effort or product so it will be built specifically for sound quality !  or absolute accuracy to the source its being fed by . It is likely to be considered too unattractive or strange to be considered by some audiophiles and certainly by 99% of better halves.

My brother Russell's initial comment was ! too weird Lad , you wont sell them !!   Ok be that as it may I'm building these speakers for myself in any case. 

So we are looking at a 2 way standmount with integrated 3Hz isolation stand , they will weigh about 80kgs each .Drivers will be the Seas W19 graphene Magnesium woofer and T35 Exotic tweeter. (both drivers will be significantly modified)

The front baffle will be made of foam and the bass enclosure will be a rather strange affair . .

This will definately be a speaker that will not be accepted by the better half  !!!  Theres no way those things are going in my lounge room !!

I cant say absolutely but this speaker will probably be the speaker I will retire with in my own system .  I'm interested to know what you guys think of this concept ?                            Cheers Mike Lenehan

The pics of Bill's Magnesiums look amazing. 

But these speakers have a smaller driver and enclosure than ML2 soo, will they have the LF  extension of ML2? 

Now WRT retiring... we have to talk about this Mike!  Rupert Neve (famous Pro Audio products / mix console designer) is still going at 90

John Goodenough (inventor of Li Ion battery) is still going at 97!!!  His team recently filed a patent for next gen Li Ion battery.   

You're too good at what you do to retire, just need someone to do the heavy lifting so to speak then you can enjoy life a bit.

And finally about the price of these new speakers..... don't even mention it..... I'll start saving :)

cheers

Terry

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/03/2020 at 3:36 PM, Lenehan Audio said:

I'm interested to know what you guys think of this concept ? 

I don't care about looks.   Will see how it goes against the Magnesium's (which have looks any other half would be happy with) you made for me, and if better you have another customer, other than you of course.   You may suck me in again to get another of your speakers you so and so.

Thanks

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I called into Mike's late last week & the new prototype was actually in the testing/listening area.
Assembled & complete with drivers but still very much in the development stage.

I will try & call in this week & grab a quick photo if Mike will let me.

? ??

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 27/05/2020 at 7:20 AM, Gieseler Audio said:

I called into Mike's late last week & the new prototype was actually in the testing/listening area.
Assembled & complete with drivers but still very much in the development stage.

I will try & call in this week & grab a quick photo if Mike will let me.

? ??

Is it as unattractive or strange as Mike describes it?

39 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:

Is it as unattractive or strange as Mike describes it?

Yes.  All Mike is interested in is how it sounds.  He thinks he is on a winner.  Time will tell

John

• Like 2

Hi All

Just rang Mike and he said he will be posting soon.   He is working flatout on these and will have them finished in not that long - but no firm date yet.   He has done some accelerometer measurements and this speaker is even less inert than my 'prototypes', which were the most inert speakers Mike had made.   But he found there are slight differences between each driver and the individual tuning he always does will be important.    The crossover is a little different to my Magnesium Limiteds - but not a lot.

Anyway as I said Mike will do a post when he can - I just promised to do one to get the latest out there.

Thanks

Bill

• Like 1