Monitor Audio Silver

I have a pair of the new series Silver 500 and I absolutely love them.

They took quite some time to break in but now they are just superb.

They have everything, slam when you need it, delicacy when required and a mid range to die for. I would call them balanced, transparent,but also never dry or overtly technical and also not warm and dull. Once again, the word balance is the over riding characteristic here.

Also and importantly, they will work with just about any amplifier with which you would reasonably pair with them. I use mine daily with a Luxman Class A and also a 220 WPC Kinki Studio amplifier and they sound glorious with either.

Make sure you experiment with different positioning in your room and use some premium ( but not crazy ) priced cables.

I have been doing this stuff for a while now and I am happy to make the claim that the Silver 500 is the best floor standing speaker under $4K on the Australian market right now.

I understand this is subjective but prior to buying these I auditioned just about everything in the $3-4.5K price range and IMNSHO, nothing even came close.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

I would suggest going down the HT bypass route and use your Klipsch for both music and HT

Thanks , that is what in my head. And do not want to spend unnecessarily. Much appreciated your feedback.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rantan said:

I have a pair of the new series Silver 500 and I absolutely love them.

They took quite some time to break in but now they are just superb.

They have everything, slam when you need it, delicacy when required and a mid range to die for. I would call them balanced, transparent,but also never dry or overtly technical and also not warm and dull. Once again, the word balance is the over riding characteristic here.

Also and importantly, they will work with just about any amplifier with which you would reasonably pair with them. I use mine daily with a Luxman Class A and also a 220 WPC Kinki Studio amplifier and they sound glorious with either.

Make sure you experiment with different positioning in your room and use some premium ( but not crazy ) priced cables.

I have been doing this stuff for a while now and I am happy to make the claim that the Silver 500 is the best floor standing speaker under $4K on the Australian market right now.

I understand this is subjective but prior to buying these I auditioned just about everything in the $3-4.5K price range and IMNSHO, nothing even came close.

Thanks ,much appreciated your feedback on Monitor Audio. It's a good 3 way speakers that is My impression. 

1 hour ago, Frank Prowse Hi-Fi said:

Thanks mate, could you please help to know, what is the sound signature compared of MA to klipsch RP series speakers as I have 5.2 klipsch sound. Is it good for stereo? Will 60w/channel at 8ohm vintage Rotel  amp sufficient to drive . I am from Albany WA

It's better to Gold or silver is better to make justice better than klipsch?

Thanks 

i bought my MonitorAudio RS6's in 2006, listen to them nearly every day, have used a variety of amps from 105wpc ss to the current 8wpc tube amp, original review for these speakers from stereophile was out standing, not surprised @rantan comments that the current series is the best speaker at the price point, also have a pair of MA BX2's, great speaker for the size and price

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wen said:

i bought my MonitorAudio RS6's in 2006, listen to them nearly every day, have used a variety of amps from 105wpc ss to the current 8wpc tube amp, original review for these speakers from stereophile was out standing, not surprised @rantan comments that the current series is the best speaker at the price point, also have a pair of MA BX2's, great speaker for the size and price

Thanks 

Edited by SBM

9 hours ago, SBM said:

Is MA silver , forward sounding or musical, warm sounding?

See the quote below from my initial post.

20 hours ago, rantan said:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rantan said:

See the quote below from my initial post.

I am tempted to buy this speaker for stereo listining. And there is one for sale in Perth 300kms from my place and asking 1000$, with box ,foam.. speaker in good condition 8/10. One of the base plinth has a small damage. But speaker is good. How much we can pay? Also plz recommend a good cost effective amp to run this speaker for the best output? Thanks

IMG_20200315_171039.jpg

On 14/03/2020 at 10:38 AM, SBM said:

Thanks ,much appreciated your feedback on Monitor Audio. It's a good 3 way speakers that is My impression. 

I am tempted to buy this speaker for stereo listining. And there is one for sale in Perth 300kms from my place and asking 1000$, with box ,foam.. speaker in good condition 8/10. One of the base plinth has a small damage. But speaker is good. How much we can pay? Also plz recommend a good cost effective amp to run this speaker for the best output? Thanks

IMG_20200315_171039.jpg

19 hours ago, SBM said:

Is MA silver , forward sounding or musical, warm sounding?

I think they are on the bright side of neutral from what I'm heard of them. I am sensitive to bright speakers though. They do sound nice though with the right amp. I nearly bought a pair a long time ago. Quite exciting.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, SBM said:

IMG_20200315_171039.jpg

These Look Like MA Silver 8 . I had a pair for a while and really liked them. I paid more than $ 1000 So anything less than 1k is a good price in my opinion. I had ran them with Quad Elite pre/ pro and they sounded sublime. They are easy to drive So you will be happy.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

I think they are on the bright side of neutral from what I'm heard of them. I am sensitive to bright speakers though. They do sound nice though with the right amp. I nearly bought a pair a long time ago. Quite exciting.

Thanks what amp you are using?

i think your vintage Rotel will do the MA's justice, my prevoius post said i had used many amps i.e. Musical Fidelity X-150, Creek Destiny, Leema Pulse III, Sansui 555A, Mission Cambridge 778, Cyrus V8, NAD 3020, Quasimodo, Elekit TU-8200 valve, still have the same speakers

Edited by wen
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, wen said:

i think your vintage Rotel will do the MA's justice, my prevoius post said i had used many amps i.e. Musical Fidelity X-150, Creek Destiny, Leema Pulse III, Sansui 555A, Mission Cambridge 778, Cyrus V8, NAD 3020, Quasimodo, Elekit TU-8200 valve, still have the same speakers

Thanks Wen , I bought this speaker out of impulse. Paid 900$ and it has small mark on the base plinth. But speakers are great condition.will buy good amp when fund is sufficient. Thanks .

By the way how we can source a good audioi quality music.?

Lossless CD quality can be streamed from Tidal.

When you have it all set up, come back and tell us what you think of the speakers. I'm a fan of Monitor Audio but I've always felt the older RS8 and RX8 series sounded better than the current models. There's lots of chatter on facebook as well about the newer models sounding brighter or needing lots of break-in to sound good. Perfect if you like forward sounding speakers.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, myhifiacct said:

I've always felt the older RS8 and RX8 series sounded better than the current models. There's lots of chatter on facebook as well about the newer models sounding brighter or needing lots of break-in to sound good. Perfect if you like forward sounding speakers.

This is not true in my (extensive ) experience with MA.

I definitely agree that they need quite a lot of break in time before they are at their best  but this is true with almost all high quality speakers.  These are not faults and are not due to poor design and this can manifest itself in tonal imbalance.

They are also a detailed and revealing speaker and they will show you exactly what the characteristics of may be of your upstream components  Forward or bright sounding amplifiers and sources will provide that type of sound.

Just as any premium quality speaker would ( and should ) do.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 1