blybo

Marantz TT-15s1 belt repeatedly slips off platter

Posted (edited)

Hi Guy's,

I've had this Marantz branded but Clear Audio built TT for around 9 months now. It was bought 2nd hand as NOS and has performed flawlessly since initial set up where the belt fell off twice then been perfect since. Today I went to play a new record and the belt keeps slipping off the underside of the turn table. Haven't used it for around 2 weeks. The silicone belt usually spins only a couple of mm from the bottom of the platter but no matter how carefully I put it back on I can't get more than a minute or 2 before it falls off again. Driving me nuts!!! I've tried running finger nail a couple of mm from the bottom of the platter as a guide for the belt but doesn't seem to help.

Any suggestions? There is no groove in the platter for the belt to run in and it's never spun completely straight but worked fine up until today.

Edited by blybo

Posted (edited)

Note which side the belt is on when it slips off, then Flip it upside down when fitting.

Clean the belt with iso.

Check the pulley mounting on the motor and platter to see if there are adjustments.  Placing photos of this here will get some response.

Edited by Addicted to music

What is stopping you from buying a replacement belt?

Assuming nothing has changed the alignment/height of the drive pulley and the platter, then I would be thinking the belt has lost tension.  Maybe get a new one?

23 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Assuming nothing has changed the alignment/height of the drive pulley and the platter, then I would be thinking the belt has lost tension.  Maybe get a new one?

I was thinking that also but it seemed to be stating the obvious.:)

Also try cleaning the pulley

All good. Inverted the belt like @Addicted to music suggested and all good.

Would be pretty disappointed if a 9 month old belt was toast. After watching our newly acquired kittens playing last night, I'm definitely getting a TT cover

On 16/03/2020 at 1:08 PM, blybo said:

All good. Inverted the belt like @Addicted to music suggested and all good.

Would be pretty disappointed if a 9 month old belt was toast. After watching our newly acquired kittens playing last night, I'm definitely getting a TT cover

Checkout dust cover for marantz TT15 link below. Regarding the belt slipping off. Check your belt height it should sit approx mid point at the platter. Belt height is adjustable by a) height of your plinth' s feet. You can reduce feet height. b) pulley height (use tiny nylon screw driver with care c) rubber feet under your motor assembly could be missing!

https://www.grooveaudio.com/product/marantz-tt-15s1-dust-cover/