Sending a large amp SYD>MEL without original box - recommendations?

On 13/03/2020 at 12:50 PM, jakeyb77 said:

This is no guarantee. I have first hand experience unfortunately 

Sure there are no guarantees with any shipping, but with proper due dilligence a seller or buyer can significantly reduce the risk to an acceptable level.

What I am saying is, take steps to ensure a successful shipping takes place. Do not assume. That is, either pack yourself to a high standard-but it is generally this step alone which initiates this sort of post in the first place. It is either seller who cant or wont pack themselves for what ever reason. No ability or deisre to. Thats why P&S are in business as there is a void in willing packers. Shipping is less difficult

Then, if you use P&S, your due dilligence is following through with them if you are buyer or seller. I never use them to sell as I have no issues packing pretty much anything to go anywhere. So far after about 20yrs......no problem.

If you are buyer, also follow through. I am doing this right now for some mono SET amps and boxes of tubes and stuff coming from Sydney to Bunbury, WA. They are in transit. As seller or buyer, get P&S contact names and phone number. As buyer, call them and then explain the delicate nature of the job. Make sure they get it. Dont stop until they do. Tell them it must be double or triple packed etc. Ask them can they make sure they can do this? I generally end up having decent conversation here and building some sort of relationship so we understand each other and proceed. With these SET amps (and me as buyer, 3500km away), shop owner tells me he sold high end hifi gear years ago in Israel and understands how they must be packed. He desribed what he will do to personally pack them for me. Sounded perfect to me. Gives confidence to proceed. I will receive them this week

Have the conversations, establish the details, emphasize what needs to be emphasized, get contact information. That has always worked for me. Or, if you are uncomfortable with all that information and detail, there are 3 choices:-

1. only buy or sell locally

2. dont buy or sell at all

3. as seller, pack and send your self

There are greater dilemmas in life. At least for me. Good luck

(update: recieved SET mono amps with 6 big 45 tubes and numerous other tubes-all perfectly packed and no indication at all of any damage. As good as ever)

Edited by aertex

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I bought this Amp and it was sent Pack and Send however, the owner packed it, the forwarder placed it on a pallet, after Jon and I decided that this would be the best way. By the way, it was strapped to the pallet and packed really well in the first place and I am pleased to say she has arrived safe. It is a beast and Im looking forward to hearing my new amp. I would suggest that anyone sending a large and heavy item, use a pallet and ensure its strapped in good and tight. COPE actually handled the freight for this one but I have to say that at first impressions, all have done their job well.