If I like the Garrott house sound what else would I like?

23 hours ago, andyr said:

I'd certainly love to hear that!  :thumb:

Andy

I think Matty has a micro-ridge tip on that one as well......it's basically an F9 'BR/MR' (a model Grace never actually made)......and it would sound awesome!

On 14/03/2020 at 3:39 PM, jt301 said:

Mr R?

How many SNAers do you know who live in Mortdale?

I did forget I was listening to a Benz cart at your place from memory it was clean and polite.

There is so much more to consider when hearing a component in someone else's system as nothing is familiar.

31 minutes ago, TOPSHELF said:

I did forget I was listening to a Benz cart at your place from memory it was clean and polite.

There is so much more to consider when hearing a component in someone else's system as nothing is familiar.

Probably as much to do with Devialet amp / phono stage plus speakers as it does  to do with the cartridge. I like it clean and refined (the term I’d prefer than polite).

You’re right though, it’s not like testing something in your own system.

• Like 1

I removed the P77i on Friday and installed the 881s. 

The lugs that hold the cart to the tonearm are exactly the same so attaching the Stanton was relatively simple.

I checked the arm was level, set the vtf at .75 and played the same  Tosca album as i last played with the P77i.

What I like about the Garrott is the punch, that bottom end drive that leads the music and fills the room with a strong platform for the rest of what you hear. The mid-top and top end is smooth not shrill and very easy to listen to. What is different about this cart is as you increase the VTA at the pillar you actually increase and then tighten up the bass while smoothing the top end out and dialling in the vocals. At a certain point everything just sounds very nice indeed. The only caveat I hear is in the mids, it seems a little congested and I don't feel the P77i is tha greatest at instrument separation, placement and depth I also hear that vocals are good but not amazing or emotional. 

Maybe this is why it's such a great listen as you don't get too distracted by listening to the cart more you are listening to the music and what is being played.

So how dif the 881s compare?

Unfortunately the suspension failed after 2 sides of the record. I distinctly heard it and thought it was some fluff on the needle. I backed off the vtf to 0.50g but this just brought the bias into play too strongly and caused one channel to sound distorted.

What I did hear for about an hour though was very, very nice. The bottom end was much, much tighter allowing lots of lovely lower end noise through that had been overpowered with the P77i. The mids on this Stanton were again very detailed and I could hear everything deep into the mix. I then realised how much seperation there was with this cart, nothing was full on brash or toppy. If had a very even sound across all frequencies and then the vocals kicked in.

Oh yes! This was starting to come on song, a cart that has sat in draw for too long started to really impress me.

Lovely wide and deep soundstage, a super sparkling top end and vocals that resonated with reality and emotion.

I flipped another record on gave it a clean, gently dropped it onto Nina Simones's Baltimore and I could hear the cart bottoming out.........

So if anyone has a nos Stanton/Pickering 881s stylus to suit I'd take your hand off.

To recap the P77i is a cracker of a cart it just sounds so right, is easy to listen to with that classic smile curve sound.

The 881s is refined, detailed nuanced and brings vocals to life. I will happily live with both carts going forward and can clearly hear their differences and strengths.

I just hope I can find a stereohaedron replacement for this 881s?

• Like 1

You won't have much fun finding a genuine stylus for an 881. It's the reason my 981HZS remains in a drawer....

I've also a few low output versions of Pickering / Stanton carts though you really need enough gain in your phono stage for those. They're not suitable for use with a SUT. That said I did source an Ortofon MC head amp recently which is meant for use with a 0.07mv cart. I may see if I can add a pair of resistors to the inputs to make it useful with more usual low output cart levels so I can try them.

• Like 1

I've heard the original 881 replacement stylus is unobtanium? Would anyone care to comment on a suitable replacement? 

Edited by TOPSHELF
D81 I saw was not now....

22 hours ago, TOPSHELF said:

I've heard the original 881 replacement stylus is unobtanium? Would anyone care to comment on a suitable replacement? 

I've got a brand new NOS Mk2 Stylus. For entertainment, this cartridge digs it out. Just recently bought the Velvet Underground with Nico album. OMG. All I can say.

Problem is I've been busy a lot these last 6 months and really don't have the time to sit and listen. With this cartridge, you can't put a record on and do other stuff while its playing.

You MUST sit down.

Edited by Wimbo
  • Like 1

As a side note I have just brought on my David Fairclough of cartridges the " Shure super sub" with a VH35HE stylus. It's actually quite good.

I also may have found a replacement D81S for the Stanton!

Holds breath! Washes hands.......!

• Like 1

On 13/03/2020 at 12:41 PM, 08Boss302 said:

Awesome question!  Wondered this myself over the past year or so.

I've got the Garrott FGS optim MI cart, agree with your opening post on the non fatigue and warmth although sometimes I wonder if it its the last word in detail but that might be its character vs others that are seemingly considered more forward or higher ouput?

After some net surfing on a second table the dipped my toes in on the Nagaoka MP110.  I like alot, its a little more forward than the GB  but it has got me intrigued further up the line the MP200 or MP500 and their house sound.  Did you move the MP 500 for change sake or some discontent with it?

Other considerations might be Soundsmith as well as the AT VM line along with Denon and Goldring.

Hi 08Boss,

I forgot to answer your question.

The MP500 is a lovely neutral sounding cart that was delicate across the frequencies. I have a tube phono, tube pre amp and speakers that are on the forging end of the listening experience. Add all these together and I just felt something was missing.

One day I dug the old P77i out from a box at the back of my HiFi bits draw, I'd never given this little red cart much of a go so installed it and was quite shocked at the sound. It has it's shortcomings to my ears but is just so damn  easy to listen to and tracks really well.

I'd love to try another MP500 one day as it doesn't put a note out of place but before I do I'd love to try something else.

Cheers Ian.

• Like 1

A quick update, I have had a good few days playing the Shure and it's a nice sounding cart. Detailed but not too dynamic and spacious with pretty good seperation. The gain seems lower than previous carts as i can turn the wick up.

I've also managed to track another used 881s that comes with a spare D81S stylus. Looking forward to it arriving soon.

• Like 2

I've e really had some fun swapping carts on my new WTA and it is a nice step up from the previous classic.

I'm starting to work this TT out and I've enjoyed the journey.

When i heard the 881s on this table I really liked it, I liked it alot so finding a new stylus was on my mind.

The D81s and cart have arrived but will have to wait till I can spend some quality time setting it all up.......

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by TOPSHELF
  • Like 2

Nope, P87. Their bottom of the range low output moving coil. They had a P88 and 89 above this one. :)

The body and generator were the same for all 3 carts with the 88 being bronze coloured with boron cantilever and some line contact,  the 89 gold coloured a sapphire cantilever + FGS tip.

The 87 has a lowly elliptical tip.  ;)

here's an old review of the P89: http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/the-garrott-p89-moving-coil-phono-cartridge

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MattyW said:

Nope, P87. Their bottom of the range low output moving coil. They had a P88 and 89 above this one. :)

The body and generator were the same for all 3 carts with the 88 being bronze coloured with boron cantilever and some line contact,  the 89 gold coloured a sapphire cantilever + FGS tip.

The 87 has a lowly elliptical tip.  ;)

here's an old review of the P89: http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/the-garrott-p89-moving-coil-phono-cartridge

Wow.....I have learnt something today. They would be post brothers, I assume?

.......'lowly elliptical tip'.......nice one Matty.?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stevoz said:

Wow.....I have learnt something today. They would be post brothers, I assume?

.......'lowly elliptical tip'.......nice one Matty.?

I'm not even sure of the time frame hey. That review was 2002 however my cart was supposedly purchased early 1980's which would match up with the brothers......

There's very little information on these carts

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MattyW said:

I'm not even sure of the time frame hey. That review was 2002 however my cart was supposedly purchased early 1980's which would match up with the brothers......

There's very little information on these carts

Don't remember that one from when I was ordering and selling them. Wasnt on the price list. It does look like an early Supex body. They're main claim to fame was the Decca London Gold retipping and of course the Magnets.

• Like 1