Jump to content

TOPSHELF

If I like the Garrott house sound what else would I like?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

For some reason I just really like the way the Garrott P77i sounds. It does most things very well and is alot of fun, meaty, dynamic and none fatiguing with a nice midrange.

 

If so what other brands would I like?

 

  I recently bought a Dynavector 20X2L with unknown hours as i am going to give it a retip.

 It sounds good and definately has potential, so is there a diamond profile I should consider that gives a sound I may like?

 

   I must also say the well Tempered table is starting to sound superb after a few weeks of dialling in the P77i and the damping etc. 

It really is showing what this cart can do so I am really excited about throwing a special cart at this table one day.

 

Happy to consider MM or MC.

 

 also looking forward to putting a Stanton 881s on the WTA over the weekend which is another fun cart for the money.

 

Thanks for reading

Ian.

 

 

   

  

Edited by TOPSHELF
Rubbish typing skills....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ian,

I also have the P77i and used to have the 20x2L, and then upgraded to xx2. i can say the dyna XX2 sounds much better.

I dont know much about the diamond profile but you can also try the Ortofon cadenza series, I have a cadenza blue and it sounds as good as the xx2. And given we have same carts and I assume we have similar liking on the sound, and I think you will probably like the Ortofon cadenza series.

Ps. You might also consider another MP500?

Cheers

Dennis 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Dennis,

Maybe I should use the 20x2L as a trade in rather than re tip?

 

The mp500 is a cracker and maybe i should have kept it. I think it would probably sing more on this table but I'm keen to try something new.

 

I enjoyed my time with the 2M bronze at the time so will look into the cadence range too.

 

Thanks for your thoughts....

 

Ian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve had Similar cart’s.  I have really been enjoying a Denon 103r with a wood body.  Really nice!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


22 minutes ago, TOPSHELF said:

Thanks Dennis,

Maybe I should use the 20x2L as a trade in rather than re tip?

 

The mp500 is a cracker and maybe i should have kept it. I think it would probably sing more on this table but I'm keen to try something new.

 

I enjoyed my time with the 2M bronze at the time so will look into the cadence range too.

 

Thanks for your thoughts....

 

Ian.

Ian,

I reckon trade in the 20X2L is probably a better move than a re-tip. I used to have a 2M Black and i think the bronze is as good. You will enjoy the Cadenza for sure if you lije the bronze. That was my reason for the cadenza based on the experience on the 2m Black.

 

Have fun

Dennis 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grado, or Denon103 plain, not the R.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

I’ve had Similar cart’s.  I have really been enjoying a Denon 103r with a wood body.  Really nice!  

In a wood body with a more advanced diamond profile like micro scanner II or the like the 103 is a wonderful sounding cart.... Though as you know I prefer the standard 103  ;)

 

I'd probably take a look at the Ortofon 2M Bronze.....  :)

Edited by MattyW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Awesome question!  Wondered this myself over the past year or so.

 

I've got the Garrott FGS optim MI cart, agree with your opening post on the non fatigue and warmth although sometimes I wonder if it its the last word in detail but that might be its character vs others that are seemingly considered more forward or higher ouput?

 

After some net surfing on a second table the dipped my toes in on the Nagaoka MP110.  I like alot, its a little more forward than the GB  but it has got me intrigued further up the line the MP200 or MP500 and their house sound.  Did you move the MP 500 for change sake or some discontent with it?

 

Other considerations might be Soundsmith as well as the AT VM line along with Denon and Goldring.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

I’ve had Similar cart’s.  I have really been enjoying a Denon 103r with a wood body.  Really nice!  

Cheers Mat,

Can you explain more? What made it really nice? If you compare it to the carts we are mentioning here then I could understand more.

Arb Ian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 08Boss302 said:

Awesome question!  Wondered this myself over the past year or so.

 

I've got the Garrott FGS optim MI cart, agree with your opening post on the non fatigue and warmth although sometimes I wonder if it its the last word in detail but that might be its character vs others that are seemingly considered more forward or higher ouput?

 

After some net surfing on a second table the dipped my toes in on the Nagaoka MP110.  I like alot, its a little more forward than the GB  but it has got me intrigued further up the line the MP200 or MP500 and their house sound.  Did you move the MP 500 for change sake or some discontent with it?

 

Other considerations might be Soundsmith as well as the AT VM line along with Denon and Goldring.

 

Thanks for the input Boss, I have a tube phono and pre amp with speakers that are probably neutral sounding, the MP500 was a very good but also neutral sounding. Overall the sound lost a bit of toe tapping excitement. I found it didn't play electronic music or reggae as good as others....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MattyW said:

In a wood body with a more advanced diamond profile like micro scanner II or the like the 103 is a wonderful sounding cart.... Though as you know I prefer the standard 103  ;)

 

I'd probably take a look at the Ortofon 2M Bronze.....  :)

I agree the 2M bronze really is the sweet spot in the range but I am looking for something a bit more.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


A cart I have come across whilst reading lots of review's is the London Decca super gold, has anyone tried the latest iteration of this? By all accounts it fits the bill nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

I've never heard the Benz sound and know I should. Thing is I can't just keep on buying carts..... I'd like the next one to be the last for a while. 

I don't mind changing  carts over it's lots of fun but time is a bit precious at the moment. I have about 6 carts but really only play 2 of them the Stanton 881s and the P77i.

 

I'm happy to save up for a bit to invest in something right.....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TOPSHELF said:

A cart I have come across whilst reading lots of review's is the London Decca super gold, has anyone tried the latest iteration of this? By all accounts it fits the bill nicely.

Some time ago there was a lot of excitement about the Stanton carts as @andyrmay recall. I ended up buying an 881s from the US that was meant to be NOS. It really surprised me and completely challenged my bias towards MC (although after 30 hours I did go back to my a Dynavector 17D3).  They are a great value for money cart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TOPSHELF said:

 

I'm happy to save up for a bit to invest in something right.....

 

The Dynavector 17D3 is an awesome cart. The only downside is that you need eagle eyes. At 1.7mm the cantilever is almost invisible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


10 minutes ago, PKay said:

Some time ago there was a lot of excitement about the Stanton carts as @andyrmay recall. I ended up buying an 881s from the US that was meant to be NOS. It really surprised me and completely challenged my bias towards MC (although after 30 hours I did go back to my a Dynavector 17D3).  They are a great value for money cart. 

The Stanton / Pickering carts are pretty fantastic.  I think the best MM I've ever heard is my wood bodied, boron cantilevered Grace F9 though. It betters some of the best MC's I've heard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MattyW said:

The Stanton / Pickering carts are pretty fantastic.  I think the best MM I've ever heard is my wood bodied, boron cantilevered Grace F9 though. It betters some of the best MC's I've heard.

Some pictures of the F9 would be nice🤞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I actually listed it for sale not long ago. There should be pictures in the expired listing in the classifieds. I was surprised at the lack of interest.

 

I'm only keeping carts which have a stylus guard since our baby came along. 

Edited by MattyW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, TOPSHELF said:

 

I have about 6 carts but really only play 2 of them the Stanton 881s and the P77i.

 

 

I'd be very interested to know how you compare these two.  :thumb:

 

33 minutes ago, PKay said:

Some time ago there was a lot of excitement about the Stanton carts as @andyrmay recall. I ended up buying an 881s from the US that was meant to be NOS. It really surprised me and completely challenged my bias towards MC (although after 30 hours I did go back to my a Dynavector 17D3).  They are a great value for money cart. 

 

Indeed there was, Peter.  :)  My view, though - completely untested by comparisons of the sound of each - is that 881 < 981 < WOS CS100.  :)

 

25 minutes ago, MattyW said:

I think the best MM I've ever heard is my wood bodied, boron cantilevered Grace F9 though. It betters some of the best MC's I've heard.

 

I'd certainly love to hear that!  :thumb:

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TOPSHELF said:

Cheers Mat,

Can you explain more? What made it really nice? If you compare it to the carts we are mentioning here then I could understand more.

Arb Ian.

I’ve stuck with this one for some time now.  It needs careful loading (which I could likely still improve), and benefits from an MC phono stage with plenty of gain.  

I was previously using an Ortofon MC10 super rebuilt by Garrott bros, and that remains a great old cart.  

The Denon Wood 103r has a lot written about it.  My next would be up the chain, probably with a Dynavector or an AT9.  However the Denon is just plain enjoyable.  Sweet and musical.  Great range and stage.  Detailed without getting to “etched”.  Forgiving enough on bad pressings.  Nice on jazz vocals.  A great all rounder and I reckon represents great value.  My wood body was built by the late Duc, but there are many wood producers for these carts......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TOPSHELF said:

I've never heard the Benz sound and know I should. 

 

Well maybe not in your system but I have a Benz in my system which you had a listen to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jt301 said:

Well maybe not in your system but I have a Benz in my system which you had a listen to. 

Is that you Mr. R?

 

If so i sit corrected, and what a lovely cart and overall sound it was.

 

I'm going to put the Stanton on, I hope the low compliance arm on the WTA brings out the bestin this cart....?

 

 

On 13/03/2020 at 9:54 AM, Mat-with-one-t said:

I've never heard the Benz sound and know I should. Thing is I can't just keep on buying carts..... I'd like the next one to be the last for a while. 

I don't mind changing  carts over it's lots of fun but time is a bit precious at the moment. I have about 6 carts but really only play 2 of them the Stanton 881s and the P77i.

 

I'm happy to save up for a bit to invest in something right.....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mat,

Thanks for the write up on the Demon. I will try to answer your question  about the P77i v 881s soon......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TOPSHELF said:

Is that you Mr. R?

 

If so i sit corrected, and what a lovely cart and overall sound it was.

 

 

Mr R?

 

How many SNAers do you know who live in Mortdale?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...