Upgrade from project essential

I currently have a project essential hooked up to monitor audio bronze 2s through a Yamaha rx396. I believe that the turntable is in need of an upgrade and would prefer a slightly automatic one as the essential can be a pain in the ass especially when you knock the Belt off.

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

Never heard of knocking the belt off ? the essential is a well regarded TT for the money, upgrading the cartridge may be better value. There are a few automatic TT's about, Thorens has a few models, if this is more of an issue

• Like 1
7 hours ago, TristanMiller said:

would the 2m red help bring down the surface noise of the TT?

Unfortunately prob not.  Have you tried washing the records.  Surface dirt can cause surface noise.   This was from the project website 

Cleaning on a budget

Dirty Dishes

If you’ve got a record that’s really filthy, something that needs a bath, then there are a few different ways to go about cleaning them off. There’s lots of different cleaning solutions, products and gizmos out there that can make cleaning a record easier, but the most basic way of doing it, is to wash them on your kitchen sink like you’re doing the dishes. Well… Not quite like the dishes. Honestly, if you’ve got some baked on pork fat on your record, it’s probably just better to buy a new copy.

This is by far the most labour intensive and time consuming way of cleaning a record, but you’re most likely to have everything needed at home. There’s a few main steps you’ll want to observe.

• Half fill your sink with lukewarm water and a drop or two (no more) of detergent.
  • Gently clean the record with a clean non-fibrous, non-scouring dishcloth.
  • Brush the cloth in a circular motion with the grooves. Don’t scrub back and forward.
  • Try not to get the label wet. It will peel off and you’ll end up with a mystery album. Or worse, sticky bits of label debris will end up in the grooves. You want to only fill the sink up enough to wet down part of the record.

If you are going to clean your records in the sink, don’t risk your labels.

Go onto “That Auction Site” and search for “Record Label Saver”.

You are welcome.

Mr Relish

• Like 1
On 13/03/2020 at 9:37 PM, Monkey_Relish said:

If you are going to clean your records in the sink, don’t risk your labels.

Go onto “That Auction Site” and search for “Record Label Saver”.

You are welcome.

Mr Relish

Wow. Thanks for this, it's just what I needed!

I agree with you about knocking the belt off. Very easy to do on that model if you’re used to letting your fingers slide down the edge of the platter to take a record on or off. I’ve got a different Project where the belt runs on a sub-platter which solves that issue entirely (like many belt drives).

For auto return, you could check out various options from Dual or Thorens and even some Japanese direct drives? 

I love my carbon fibre record brush for cleaning records quickly, with a squirt of cleaning solution. 

• 2 weeks later...