Comparing 2 Australian made speakers

Hi all,

Could I please get some advice from those folks who've had experience with these speakers.

I'm considering replacing my ( beautiful ) B&W CM5 S2 stand mounted speakers with full range floor standing ones and I've nearly narrowed the choice to :

Krix Lyrix or Whatmough Magnum M 30.  Both have been favourably reviewed, but I've not heard them. I only listen to Classical music, including a lot of pipe organ music, which sounds reasonably OK with my current set up, which includes a small ( older model ) REL sub woofer. I'm driving my current speakers with a valve pre and Class D 100 wpc both made by Mark Houston, which I love. My lounge room is small - ish, but kind of open plan, as it opens onto the meals area.

I would be grateful to receive any advice and experiences from those who have used or heard either or both of these speakers.

Thanks.

Dennis

Just to throw another local option in the mix, have you looked at Ascension Speakers by Adelaide Speakers. Edward is a nice guy to deal with and will customise to suit your requirements. He made some custom TL speakers for me to suit my specific room and needs. Lovely speakers and exceptional pricing.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

wouldnt hurt to take a few minutes and contact Edward at Adelaide Speakers, made in Adelaide.

budget comes into it as i guess you are looking at 2nd hand? Lyrix available under 500 bucks any day of the week.

you beat me as i type with 2 fingers haha

Edited by hopefullguy

• Volunteer
12 hours ago, Berkel said:

I've nearly narrowed the choice to :

Krix Lyrix or Whatmough Magnum M 30.  Both have been favourably reviewed, but I've not heard them

Whilst reviews can be useful for narrowing down choices, speaker preferences can be quite personal. If at all possible you should listen to them (and more) before purchasing. 

• Like 2

Second that. Adelaide speakers are great and you really are buying a custom product. Edward will work out what you require and he can customize to specific needs or requests.

I'm thinking of selling mine in the future and buying his new 97 db efficient speakers for low power amps as I moved from a Weston  Acoustics 45W Topaz to a little Eric McChanson 6/8 W 6ns7/ 5998.

A little more headroom would be good as the McChanson can struggle a little when things get busy.

• Like 1

I agree with Sir Sanders Zingmore.  You need to get out and listen to as many speakers as you can and find out what appeals to you.

FWIW - personally I like the house sound of Whatmough speakers. I’ve also lived with Orpheus speakers.  They’d be my 2 choices of what’s been mentioned here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/03/2020 at 4:47 PM, Mullet said:

Second that. Adelaide speakers are great and you really are buying a custom product. Edward will work out what you require and he can customize to specific needs or requests.

I'm thinking of selling mine in the future and buying his new 97 db efficient speakers for low power amps as I moved from a Weston  Acoustics 45W Topaz to a little Eric McChanson 6/8 W 6ns7/ 5998.

A little more headroom would be good as the McChanson can struggle a little when things get busy.

Thanks for the recommendation, however I'll have to put the speaker search on hold until the Covid 19 thing is under control.