Sign in to follow this  
realysm42

IsoAcoustics; Gaia vs Aperta

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Marc said:

For those that want a scientifically proven, measurable improvement and refined approach from a commercial solution, buy IsoAcoustics or any of the other commercially available products.

😛

Are there measurements showing sound quality improvements?

I've looked at the IsoAcoustics website and they have measurements showing improvements in vibration but those same measurements show no improvement in frequency response or anything else for that matter.

Edited by Satanica

Thanks all for your suggestions; I'm going to try out the Gaia III footers on my bookshelves, because why not?

They should look cool with the black and silver hardware of the speakers. Watch this space I'll get back to you with results (and pictures).

4 minutes ago, realysm42 said:

Thanks all for your suggestions; I'm going to try out the Gaia III footers on my bookshelves, because why not?

They should look cool with the black and silver hardware of the speakers. Watch this space I'll get back to you with results (and pictures).

Are you sure you can attach the GAIA to those speakers? They need to screw in to be effective.

20 minutes ago, Satanica said:

Are there measurements showing sound quality improvements?

I've looked at the IsoAcoustics website and they have measurements showing improvements in vibration but those same measurements show no improvement in frequency response or anything else for that matter.

Last time I checked, you can't measure sound quality. You can however measure vibration, and that was measurably less with the use of this product according to IsoAcoustics.

I don't need to debate this with you though as I'm already benefiting from experience as I've heard the differences with my own ears. 

You don't need to accept or like it, but that's where you should move on from this specific product thread. Start a debate thread in the appropriate section of SN if you wish to challenge the theory and application.

5 minutes ago, AudioGeek said:

Are you sure you can attach the GAIA to those speakers? They need to screw in to be effective.

Thanks - There are built in footers, that are screwed in; I‘ve spoken to my dealer to check the thread size and will use this to inform my order.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Marc said:

Last time I checked, you can't measure sound quality. You can however measure vibration, and that was measurably less with the use of this product according to IsoAcoustics.

So, it appears there are no measurements supporting sound quality improvements for IsoAcoustics products.

I'm glad we could clear that up, thank you.

Edited by Satanica

19 minutes ago, Satanica said:

So, it appears there are no measurements supporting sound quality improvements for IsoAcoustics products.

I'm glad we could clear that up, thank you.

You're welcome. May I suggest the https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php forums?

My two cents.

I have lead and sand filled stands that used to be on spikes. I wanted a nice looking solution to replace the spikes and bought the Gaia 3's. I didn't expect any change in sound because of the weight already in the stands. There was a change though and for the better.

I guess on a timber floor any bass that makes the floor vibrate will have an impact on the accuracy of the tweeter if that vibration makes its way back into the stands and therefore the speakers. No matter how well the tweeter is isolated from vibration from the box itself, if the whole stand and box move, the tweeter will move along with it causing distortion.

Of course you can use Bunnigs's pads and they may well work really well. Where the Gaias pull ahead are looks (the reason I bought them) and the fact that they've been tested to work under a specific load. A pad made to take the weight of a washing machine is't going to do much for a pair of bookshelf speakers because they would be too hard. Put a pair of Gaia 3's under your washing machine and they will simply get squashed and possibly even end up metal to metal.

As for the Apertas, A guy came into the store to pick up some Gaias to replace his Apertas. He later sent an email saying he was happy with the improvement. Not my words but worth considering.

@satanica As for measurements; The improvement is large enough to not need measurements to prove there is an improvement. You don't put a Volt meter on your kitchen light to check whether it's on or not. Your eyes will tell you. The same goes for isolation. Whether it needs to cost as much as the Gaias to get the desired effect is a matter for everyone individually.

To put the improvement into perspective; it's not as big as room treatment, speaker and chair placement but once you have all those sorted, the sound gets more relaxed in the highs. I did not notice improvements in the bass but I have relatively small speakers in a large room so bass level is already an issue.

Hope that makes thing a bit clearer for everyone.

Cheers,

Pim

Obviously not that many people would need them but if only there was a model that suported 300kg speakers 🤪

Has anyone compared these to stillpoints footers?

17 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

A set of 8 Gaias cost around $800, not everyone can afford this.

Think about this, buy for $800 and sell for $500 one day, it’s really only $300 for a long term enjoyment. 🤩

Or Track Audio?

2 minutes ago, joz said:

Oooooh, the price!

btw is that for 4 or 8?

If you have to ask, you can't afford them! 😊

Sets of 4 I believe. 

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Pim said:

@satanica As for measurements; The improvement is large enough to not need measurements to prove there is an improvement. You don't put a Volt meter on your kitchen light to check whether it's on or not. Your eyes will tell you. The same goes for isolation. Whether it needs to cost as much as the Gaias to get the desired effect is a matter for everyone individually.

To put the improvement into perspective; it's not as big as room treatment, speaker and chair placement but once you have all those sorted, the sound gets more relaxed in the highs. I did not notice improvements in the bass but I have relatively small speakers in a large room so bass level is already an issue.

Hope that makes thing a bit clearer for everyone.

You missed the capital S in Satanica so I didn't get a notification.

I'm not one much for analogies.
Yes your eyes will tell you when the light bulb is working and so will a light meter so in your attempt of an analogy you actually presented one where there would be measurable differences.
Light bulb working and not working, measurable.

I was not the one that brought up measurable improvements of these products.
I asked for clarification after another member stated there was.
Unbeknown to me the statement was not in relation to sound quality but vibration.
Forgive me for making the presumptuous mistake of interpreting "measurable improvements" regarding audio products to be in relation to actual sound quality.
So off I went to the IsoAcoustics website quite excited only too be somewhat
confused and disappointed there were none.

I'll know better next time.

And on the topic of not being able to measure sound quality and standing on the back of
giants (Foyd Toole, Ethan Winer etc.) I at least somewhat beg to differ.

I have owned the IsoAcoustic professional stands.
I wanted to raise the tweeters on my speakers more to ear height.
Did they change the sound?

Well they seemed to but of course they changed where the tweeter and midrange unit were in relation to my listening position and my room at the same time of providing isolation so any differences were hard if not impossible to identify in relation to isolation alone.
If I was more prudent I would have compared them to lumps of wood or bricks.
I only stopped using them because I had a young one at the time and now have two and didn't want the added danger of heavy items sitting on stands presents to them.

More on this, I attended the 2018 HiFi show and visited the room where the IsoAcoustic stands were being demonstrated.
I quickly asked the guy there what he thought about the fact that comparing two sets of the same speakers might have audible differences between them due to tolerance of manufacture presumably being less than 100%.
I also asked about the fact the two sets of speakers were not in the same position in the room and what this might contribute to more audible differences.
The guy didn't respond to my questions and basically walked away from me.

Edited by Satanica

8 hours ago, evil c said:

Sets of 4 I believe. 

Yes  I do have to ask, I’m not a pompous elite like some🧐

8 hours ago, evil c said:

Sets of 4 I believe. 

You have become quite the elitist..

9 minutes ago, Yngvi said:

You have become quite the elitist..

Thank you Master!

Padawan 😄

6 minutes ago, evil c said:

Thank you Master!

Padawan 😄

classic !!  love it :)

I think @evil c is working towards to being at the big end of town to join with the elite like @jakeyb77 and it looks like great progress is being made.:)

@rantan although I never pay full price! 🤔

Mainly a 2nd hand on a budget elitist . 😉

Just now, evil c said:

@rantan although I never pay full price! 🤔

Mainly a 2nd hand on a budget elitist . 😉

Ahh now you have discovered why the big end of town becomes as it is. They never pay full price for anything. Just by being the elite, people and businesses will give you stuff  for half price just so they can be associated with and endorsed by, the hoi polloi:lol: