Repair or Discard: Rotel RP2500

I bought one of these turntables sight unseen for a hundred bucks sight unseen, it was described as just needing a new belt and stylus. On receiving it the headshell can't secure a cartridge adequately (heads of play), the motor is loud as heck and the motor has some vertical play (screws don't appear to lock it down). Question is do i throw some money at this in the hope of it working well (the seller on receiving my complaints assures me that the motor is silent with some load on it) or would i be throwing good money after bad? I understand it is not the greatest table ever, but it does nicely match my old receiver. was quoted $140 for a service and new belt but I have seen a fair few old working turntables for a but more than that price with a working cartridge/headshell. I'll get some photos tonight to show the issues. Seems like it will need to be a DIY job to be worthwhile. 

Got a new belt on and a quick try showed it not holding speed properly. Disassembled the motor and lubricated it internally. This resolved the motor speed and also the noise. The play has been reduced and is all but gone after reinstalling the motor. Might have worked a bit loose over time. Need to get a new headshell and cart onto it but it's looking more promising.

• Like 2

Good to see you bringing this back into use despite the seller's creative truths.  Although the motor mounting has improved with your service, the rubber still may have deteriorated.  See if it improves by putting another washer in to tighten it up more, or you might explore obtaining a replacement. 

Is the headshell now attaching securely?  And is that ELO on the platter?

3 hours ago, audiofeline said:

Good to see you bringing this back into use despite the seller's creative truths.  Although the motor mounting has improved with your service, the rubber still may have deteriorated.  See if it improves by putting another washer in to tighten it up more, or you might explore obtaining a replacement. 

Is the headshell now attaching securely?  And is that ELO on the platter?

The rubber from under the mounts does look like it will benefit from replacement. Need to find some rubber washers of suitable size. I discarded the headshell entirely and used a new one, the old one looked like it wouldn't secure a cartridge properly. ELO greatest hits! Just ordered the live album from the JB Hifi deal, looking forward to getting it and having a listen.   

Discarded the headshell?  It looks like an AT, which should be reasonable quality.  Keep it if you still have it, the problem may be in the arm, or it may just need a washer inserted to take up some slack. 

A spare headshell/cart is good to have so you can swap it to play damaged records without worrying about damaging your good styli.  An AT3600 is a good choice for this - audio-wise, the cart competes well against others costing $100's but as it's made as an OEM it can be bought from ebay/china for under $20 - cheaper than the replacement styli! 

On 14/03/2020 at 1:55 PM, audiofeline said:

Discarded the headshell?  It looks like an AT, which should be reasonable quality.  Keep it if you still have it, the problem may be in the arm, or it may just need a washer inserted to take up some slack. 

A spare headshell/cart is good to have so you can swap it to play damaged records without worrying about damaging your good styli.  An AT3600 is a good choice for this - audio-wise, the cart competes well against others costing $100's but as it's made as an OEM it can be bought from ebay/china for under $20 - cheaper than the replacement styli! 

I will check those out thanks!

edit: the black AT headshell is mine, the one which came with the turntable is a generic looking perforated one of many colours. 

Edited by thejt
  • Like 1