Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga 4K UHD

Anyone else getting this one ? its out end of the month, 

hoping can pick one up sometime in next month... available with Best Buy was getting from there but getting from there here too convoluted 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/star-wars-the-skywalker-saga-digital-copy-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-blu-ray-only--best-buy/6393929.p?skuId=6393929

6393929_sa.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1

be very interesting how these turn up on uhd... I only have one of the series on the format be good to catch up on the rest.... previous i have the smaller blu-ray box set of the initial movies that i got as a free bie with an epson projector ... paying a lot more for this one but lot less hopefully than the ripe off ebay prices that are up there already ! 

• Like 1

I'm boycotting this. Only because I don't want to see any more Star Wars movies made in a similar vein as these last three where. I don't think we will but still, boycott stands. 

Edited by Kezzbot

Not that I have any UHD playback equipment, but I just couldn't sit through another rewatch of the series on any format.

i think I still have sealed versions stashed away somewhere?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, joz said:

Not that I have any UHD playback equipment, but I just could sit through another rewatch of the series on any format.

i think I still have sealed versions stashed away somewhere?

Ha ... I can handle a binge no worries ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, betty boop said:

Anyone else getting this one ? its out end of the month, 

hoping can pick one up sometime in next month... available with Best Buy was getting from there but getting from there here too convoluted 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/star-wars-the-skywalker-saga-digital-copy-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-blu-ray-only--best-buy/6393929.p?skuId=6393929

6393929_sa.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1

be very interesting how these turn up on uhd... I only have one of the series on the format be good to catch up on the rest.... previous i have the smaller blu-ray box set of the initial movies that i got as a free bie with an epson projector ... paying a lot more for this one but lot less hopefully than the ripe off ebay prices that are up there already ! 

It'll be interesting to see how Disney work the franchise. They have a habit making stuff available for a period and then pulling it from the market for quite some time.......even years. Could become quite collectable, depending upon the quality of the transfers.

More of a Trekky myself. Dunno why though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

well quite a possibility the individual discs are in the mail or in the shops tomorrow.... so who knows .... heres hoping :D  with the box set delayed ive gone the individual discs instead....

14 hours ago, Lil Caesar said:

Got confirmation from toll that my uhd of the final film in the final trilogy will be with me tomorrow.  Just before dan Andrews calls the lockdown I suspect ?

good reviews up of the new 4k releases on digital bits, see new hope review

https://thedigitalbits.com/item/star-wars-a-new-hope-uhd

the below is fantastic to read ! 

"In the wake of Disney’s purchase in 2012, a decision was made to protect the studio’s investment by creating new 4K Digital Intermediates of the films and to ensure that all of the photochemical and digital assets were properly cataloged and preserved (a process that continued through 2014). For Star Wars, Empire, and Jedi, all of the original camera neg, the VistaVision effects footage, and SE film-outs was scanned in 16-bit 4K by Reliance MediaWorks (formerly Lowry Digital). Lucas once again took the opportunity to tweak the editing, digital VFX, and color timing. In addition to the new 4K DIs, new film-out protection master interpositives were created. New cut negatives were created as well, combining the original camera negative with film-out internegative of the new VFX. (This is why it’s often said that the original theatrical versions technically no longer exist—the OCN has been conformed to the new versions. However, I’ve confirmed with individuals directly responsible that everything—including all theatrical film trims—is well preserved and protected by Disney.) The studio’s new Ultra HD releases (and the recent Disney+ versions) were mastered from these 4K DIs, complete with color grading for high dynamic range (only HDR10 is available on the discs, but Dolby Vision is available on the Digital version)."

and compared with disney + streaming  the 4k uhd blu-rays  ...  "image quality is superior in every respect"  ! woohoo !!

Disney’s 4K disc presentation obviously includes all the latest tweaks and changes seen in the Disney+ version, but the image quality is superior in every respect. (Note that the 20th Century Fox logo remains intact.) The average datarate is in the 60-70 Mbps range (vs 15-25 Mbps via streaming) and that extra bandwidth makes a huge difference. 

good to see not going whacko on the atmos as well using it as it should ...

cant wait myself ot see this entire saga ... again on 4k uhd... big marathon possibly later in the year.... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

I am really looking forward to seeing everything in 4k with Atmos, from start to finish! As much as I didn't really like these new sequels (I haven't seen the last one yet), I'm still excited to see the lot.

mine is still goodness knows where ... but in no rush.,.,.. way too busy to do a binge watch on them so will save them up for later in the year and watch them one after the other :D 

agree am looking forward to seeing these in 4k with atmos..... especially seeing they have gone back done 4k mastering and not gone loopy with atmos :) 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TDX said:

what if you just watch on Disney plus?

welcome to do so...just missing out on picture quality that is "superior in every respect" from the 4k uhd blu-ray see post above. also not sure on atmos on disney plus... I wasnt able to get that happening with the mandalorian.... 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lil Caesar said:

The films on d+ do carry atmos, thru atv at least.  But as you have pointed out - 60-70 mBits on uhd compared to 15-20 via streaming.

Only if you’re pixel-peeping. For watching movies the Dolby Vision + Atmos streams on Apple TV will do nicely. 

• Like 1

Some of us are pixel peepers, particularly those with noice 4K projectors ?.

having watched Apple store content, Netflix and Disney - all of whom deliver good 4K streams via a high bandwidth nbn fibre to the premises connection, I can still appreciate the additional fidelity offered by uhd blurry and I only have a 79” 4K panel.

Edited by Lil Caesar
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Steffen said:

Only if you’re pixel-peeping. For watching movies the Dolby Vision + Atmos streams on Apple TV will do nicely. 

I think might be suprised. well i dont think i will be... and I dont pixel peep... only make judgments from my viewing position.... which doesnt even fully resolve 4k (hardly anyone will have screens big enough or sit close enough to do so) but still i can see benefit of 4k uhd blu-ray over streaming. so I for one wouldnt be too surprised as per the review of the superior nature of the uhd blu-ray over streaming option.... :)

• Like 1

All individual movies are released earlier than expected so I am happy to buy them all from JB with their Buy 2 Get 1 Free deal. That is like 33.33% off. Also grab "Jumanji Next Level" to fill the gap. 

Was not meant to buy "Last Jedi" and "Solo" again but it just seems wrong to skip them here. Now I am waiting for the IX in 3D from UK and hopefully the situation of delivery won't get any worst in the next month. 

sw1.jpg

• Like 4

congrats @PKK you might actually glad got the last jedi, i believe its actually a new master over the previous on uhd :) see below review on the re issue from digitals bits...

https://thedigitalbits.com/item/star-wars-the-last-jedi-reissue-uhd

It’s important to note, however, that this 4K disc features new encoding and authoring. Whereas the original 4K disc included both HDR10 and Dolby Vision, the new disc has only HDR10 (which matches all of the other newly-released Star Wars films in 4K). Dolby Vision is still available on the Digital version. (Two other ways you can tell that this is a newly-authored disc: 1) It has metadata, unlike the original disc and 2) The ‘Porg’ loading icon is gone—the new icon matches those on the other Star Wars UHDs.) It’s also worth mentioning that the 4K disc’s average datarate is in region of 50-60 Mbps, so it bests the Disney+ presentation (of 15-25 Mbps) by a significant margin with more vibrant colors and noticeably improved dimensionality. This is a great looking film-sourced 4K image."

ps i did pass on 2nd copy of SOLO though :D 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, PKK said:

All individual movies are released earlier than expected so I am happy to buy them all from JB with their Buy 2 Get 1 Free deal. That is like 33.33% off. Also grab "Jumanji Next Level" to fill the gap. 

Was not meant to buy "Last Jedi" and "Solo" again but it just seems wrong to skip them here. Now I am waiting for the IX in 3D from UK and hopefully the situation of delivery won't get any worst in the next month. 

Hmm, when does that B2G1 end?

And Jumanji out already??

4 minutes ago, audiohippo said:

Whats your thoughts on the picture quality for 4k Rise of Skywalker? I found there is a fair bit of 'grain' in the image, but apparently this is correct/normal. 

be a long while before i watch it but according to imdb its a mix of 35mm and 65mm so being film based I would expect grain, ie it wont look digital ... completely devoid of film grain

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2527338/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec

good review from digital bits below, wiht some comment also on PQ

https://thedigitalbits.com/item/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-uhd

"The Rise of Skywalker was shot mostly on 35 mm photochemical film using Arriflex 435 ES and Panavision Panaflex Millennium XL2 cameras with Panavision anamorphic lenses (with a bit of 65 mm photography using the Panavision Panaflex System 65 Studio camera as well). It was finished as a native 4K Digital Intermediate at the 2.39:1 aspect ratio and graded for high dynamic range for its Ultra HD release (in HDR10). The disc’s image quality is outstanding. Overall detail is impressive, with well-refined textures, and a lovely light-moderate wash of photochemical grain. The anamorphic glass adds its trademark clarity to the center of the image while the edges fall off just a tad. Shadows are truly deep, yet retain very nice detail on their own. The HDR grade expands the contrast while allowing the highlights to really pop—the brightest parts of the image are just eye-reactive (per the disc’s metadata, peak brightness is 1000 nits with a deep floor). And the color palette! Hues are vibrant and nuanced, with an added luster that’s visible right from the start—just take a look at the crystal panels of Ren’s Sith “wayfinder” and the many different environments as the Falcon lightspeed-skips. What’s more, with an average datarate of 60 Mbps, the quality here is markedly better than the currently available digital 4K streams (and I speak from experience, having just watch the Vudu presentation). It’s just so much more dimensonal and luminous, there’s almost no comparison. This is a gorgeous 4K image—I’ll personally never watch this film any other way."

• Like 1