Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga 4K UHD

52 minutes ago, betty boop said:

April 19th... :) wondering what else can grab in the mean time :D 

Cheers. Hmm, that means I should wait and pickup SW9, Jumanji 2, and 1917!

I can't believe the re-release of Last Jedi is actually less. Eg no Dolby Vision anymore. That is very odd.

Edited by Mobe1969

2 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

Cheers. Hmm, that means I should wait and pickup SW9, Jumanji 2, and 1917!

I can't believe the re-release of Last Jedi is actually less. Eg no Dolby Vision anymore. That is very odd.

It now has meta data which is a huge plus for me DV is still in an uncertain boat ... from what have read digital buts review, PQ has moved forward not backwards...

“Per cinematographer Steve Yedlin, roughly half of The Last Jedi was photographed on 35 mm photochemical film using Panavision cameras and anamorphic lenses, with a bit of 65 mm footage shot using IMAX cameras. The other half was captured digitally in the ARRIRAW codec (at 2.8, 3.4 and 6.5K) using Arri Alexa cameras. It was finished as a 4K Digital Intermediate, graded for high dynamic range, and is presented on Ultra HD in the 2.39:1 theatrical aspect ratio. Yedlin’s cinematography (and the production design, inspired in part by Kurosawa’s Ran) is bold and striking, and this presentation certainly does it justice. Detail and fine texturing is exquisite. As the opening pin-prick starfield pans down to reveal a gorgeously detailed planet, light but lovely film grain is in evidence. When Poe attacks the First Order Star Destroyer, note the texturing in his flight suit, the dust and reflections on his X-Wing’s canopy, even the subtle wear and tear on his helmet. This is a dark film, but the HDR enhances the image with truly deep shadows and highlights that are right on the edge of eye-reactive (peak brightness is set at 1000 nits, per the disc’s metadata). And the color! One glimpse of C-3PO’s gleaming gold plating will reveal the benefits of HDR in broadening and deepening the color palette of a film like this. It’s important to note, however, that this 4K disc features new encoding and authoring. Whereas the original 4K disc included both HDR10 and Dolby Vision, the new disc has only HDR10 (which matches all of the other newly-released Star Wars films in 4K). Dolby Vision is still available on the Digital version. (Two other ways you can tell that this is a newly-authored disc: 1) It has metadata, unlike the original disc and 2) The ‘Porg’ loading icon is gone—the new icon matches those on the other Star Wars UHDs.) It’s also worth mentioning that the 4K disc’s average datarate is in region of 50-60 Mbps, so it bests the Disney+ presentation (of 15-25 Mbps) by a significant margin with more vibrant colors and noticeably improved dimensionality. This is a great looking film-sourced 4K image.“

• Like 1

Have a brief run on both old and new "Last Jedi" and the obvious difference is on the choice of languages, subtitles and a printed logo "Dolby Digital +" on the new disc face. The old one shows Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 on disc menu while the new one just Dolby Atmos. Can't really tell if they are the same as my AVR only display them as Dolby Atmos.

No immediate difference I can spot on PQ as I don't have any DV display. They give the same metadata 500/--- on the JVC. But I can constantly see a higher bit rate on the old than new with the Xbox info function. The new one rarely reach 60 Mbps but the old one can easily jump above 70 Mbps. Not sure if that has anything to do with DV. Probably we are having a different disc then USA. Ours got Japanese DD+ 7.1 and USA does not. 

The new Extra disc does have the feature "Meet the Porgs" which is missing on the first release. 

Very odd, I must say. So none of the original movies in this batch have Dolby Vision, just HDR10? That is just plain bizarre.  

At any rate, I'm not that big of a fan of the movie to warrant getting a second edition to compare! :)

I've also got a hdfury en route, and will be playing about with that LLDV Dolby Vision hack shortly...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

At any rate, I'm not that big of a fan of the movie to warrant getting a second edition to compare! :)

fair enough,  though i have read and have posts here some is that all movies have had a full 4k mastering with 4kDI none of hate 2k of older releases and such. and so far in result it shows benefits.... personal feedback ive read coming through also seems to support this ... so i for one wont be missing out ... i have zero - non interest in DV given dynamic tone mapping capability :) 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, betty boop said:

fair enough,  though i have read and have posts here some is that all movies have had a full 4k mastering with 4kDI none of hate 2k of older releases and such. and so far in result it shows benefits.... personal feedback ive read coming through also seems to support this ... so i for one wont be missing out ... i have zero - non interest in DV given dynamic tone mapping capability :) 

Ah so you have something like a Lumagen? Yeah, that is a bit daunting - not just cost but setup.... I was looking into it and just gave up!...

6 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Ah so you have something like a Lumagen? Yeah, that is a bit daunting - not just cost but setup.... I was looking into it and just gave up!...

No his JVC PJ has auto cal capabilities, you just hook up a suitable meter.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Nope Would t be able to afford that either hehe

just jvcs implemented dynamic tone mapping frame by frame that has been so far working a treat ... set forget :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mobe1969 said:

Ah yes, that is awesome on the new JVCs. As soon as they do a laser model with this, I'll be jumping ship!!!

I thought they already had that ability.

Anyway, having to re cal a laser should be needed far less frequently than a standard PJ lamp

1 hour ago, Tweaky said:

I thought they already had that ability.

Anyway, having to re cal a laser should be needed far less frequently than a standard PJ lamp

the laser model doesnt have the DTM, so folks use other mad vr or lumagen for that ability  :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

Nope Would t be able to afford that either hehe

just jvcs implemented dynamic tone mapping frame by frame that has been so far working a treat ... set forget :)

Yes, and after reading up on Lumagen and Madvr, just too hard - how the JVC projectors do it is fantastic and what everyone wants! I can't believe panel TVs don't have this also. It should just be how it works.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mobe1969 said:

Yes, and after reading up on Lumagen and Madvr, just too hard - how the JVC projectors do it is fantastic and what everyone wants! I can't believe panel TVs don't have this also. It should just be how it works.

Yep those not for me either. I think jvc and pana worked together on tone mapping between their products and what jvc did was just next step. I do hope too other makers incorporate into product as definite game changer.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Bizarre how all the spines match except the latest film!!!!! Looks like the machine trimming on Last Jedi was slightly offset too!

That means the studio will release a matching cover art in the near future so fans will buy again to complete the collection. ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, betty boop said:

delivery today turned up ! already have solo so didnt get that in this order ....

Mine showed up yesterday too (the EZDVD offer). I didn't even know they had shipped as I didn't get a shipping notice.

I just have to get the last film now. Am waiting on Jumanji so I can use that JB Offer!

Edited by Mobe1969
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Mine showed up yesterday too (the EZDVD offer). I didn't even know they had shipped as I didn't get a shipping notice.

I just have to get the last film now. Am waiting on Jumanji so I can use that JB Offer!

I think jumanji is already in store, like star wars they put on shelf early prior to official release date.... probably thinking folks would go into lock down

• Like 1

6 hours ago, betty boop said:

I think jumanji is already in store, like star wars they put on shelf early prior to official release date.... probably thinking folks would go into lock down

Yeah. I am waiting for it to show online.

I guess I should just go to store. I'm honestly not sure what the rules are on going to non food stores, to be honest. I think JB are open click collect at least looking at the site.

5 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Yeah. I am waiting for it to show online.

I guess I should just go to store. I'm honestly not sure what the rules are on going to non food stores, to be honest. I think JB are open click collect at least looking at the site.

maybe im getting confused with the jumaji's :D re the store its open... i went there a week or so ago... but who knows....as seems an eternity ago and likely changed rules since. im just ordering online now...not worth the risk. only problem is jb delivery cost they dont wave like ezy has always done over amount. or free amazon with prime.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, betty boop said:

maybe im getting confused with the jumaji's :D re the store its open... i went there a week or so ago... but who knows....as seems an eternity ago and likely changed rules since. im just ordering online now...not worth the risk. only problem is jb delivery cost they dont wave like ezy has always done over amount. or free amazon with prime.

Yes, it is uncertain. Jumanji is definitely in some stores, but not available for online order yet. Hopefully Friday.

• Like 1

Had a look at the 3 original films.....A new Hope. Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi....  Awesome !!!! is all i can say, image quality is superb!  Increadible detail and depth .

I actually think the original 3 shame the last current 3 that have been done..

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

Had a look at the 3 original films.....A new Hope. Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi....  Awesome !!!! is all i can say, image quality is superb!  Increadible detail and depth .

I actually think the original 3 shame the last current 3 that have been done..

especially on your setup would be pretty impressive woofer :)  great to hear was a treat :) 

11 minutes ago, betty boop said:

especially on your setup would be pretty impressive woofer :)  great to hear was a treat :) 

Yeah the "original" Star Wars "A New Hope" 4K transfer shocked me!!!  For such an old film it really has come up a treat on UHD!  

There is so much detail  that you CAN see the limitations of what was available back in 1977..BUT its still very very impressive . The opening scenes with C3PO and R2D2  its hard not to be distracted by the sheer detail shown on there metal exteriors...☺️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, although oddly I do like the prequels, given the horrid early digital gear they were shot with, I have low expectations. The original trilogy though, shot on film... Nuff said! The new trilogy, probably around 80% of every visual thing you will look at was rendered. At 2k...