Bryston CD player

Had a Bryston BCD 1. Motor/Laser mechanism gave me so much trouble over the years that I finally  got rid of it. Now I miss it like mad. Anyone recommend a RELIABLE CD player with similar heft and in-the-room realism?

Guest deanB

I bought a BCD-1 at a big discount when they were discontinued. Had a problem with the drawer only partially opening. Fixed under warranty (diode replaced) and it worked trouble free after that.

Man, could that cdp reproduce electric guitar sounds! AC/DC riffs were epic in detail and tone.

I suppose there's no point suggesting the BCD-3 but, like the BCD-1, it would voiced to represent the Bryston house sound.

I'm using a Naim CD5X now, with a TeddyCap psu and it is no lightweight.

Audio Solutions have an ex-display CD5XS on Gumtree-

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mascot/stereo-systems/naim-cd5-xs-cd-player/1242361738

Naim have discontinued most of their standalone cdp lineup but their parts backup and service is second to none.

A psu is a definite upgrade but not essential. I couldn't seperate the Bryston and Naim until I added the TeddyCap (approx. $700aud).

Thank you deanB.  Yes! The 5xs was on my list. Once.  A friend has an all-Naim system. Paid a fortune 30 years ago but with only a few minor  upgrades along the way, he  still has the best domestic Hi Fi set up i have heard. My BCD1 was so plagued with problems that they actually gave me a replacement(!) which was okay for about 18 months,  then.......... So i replaced the motor and laser and traded it in on a Marantz SA 14se which was recieving rave reviews at the time. After 2 years i'm still waiting to "get used " to it. Plays sacds fine and the dac inputs are handy but cd sound is distilled, etched , pristine and lacking "flesh" and  energy. The Audio Solutions offer is very tempting.

Edited by bevwil