Jump to content

QOBUZ in OZ--guidance please in simple steps


Recommended Posts

The Qobuz app (at least. on Android) is nicely laid out but quite frankly lags behind Tidal and Spotify. However I only use it during my drive to and fro work, at home its through Roon 100% of the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tweeted to Qobuz about their lack of service in Australia. Their reply was:    https://twitter.com/qobuz/status/1300821370817871872?s=20     Lets hope by Christmas (or s

Well I had a qobuz account which I set up ages ago, I think on the French site, then decided I didn't want to jump through the DNS hoops to buy a subscription. The account allowed me to sign in b

I have refrained from getting this via means other than local release.

At the moment, when I try to get it I get this message:

image.png.cad3189b8585546bb5be17be3e94ecc9.png

Hoping that it will be available soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just noticed that Qobuz is now available for the Australian market.

 

But, what's disappointing for me is that DOWNLOAD not yet available for some unknown reason ?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nait said:

I just noticed that Qobuz is now available for the Australian market.

 

But, what's disappointing for me is that DOWNLOAD not yet available for some unknown reason ?

 

 

Looks like the site is just getting ready, but they havent flicked the switch yet.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, Hydrology said:

Looks like the site is just getting ready, but they havent flicked the switch yet.

 

 

?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fingers crossed for competitive download pricing

Link to post
Share on other sites


I keep getting this error.

 

To sign-up you need to be invited to the list of testers

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tony B said:

I keep getting this error.

 

To sign-up you need to be invited to the list of testers

 

Got the same error.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

so..... they are still testing it at this stage....

Link to post
Share on other sites


Pricing looks good which doesn’t surprise me as I’m sure they want to be enticing.   I just did a search in their catalogue and it seems very similar to Tidal - in that some of my rare and obscure favourite  stuff that isn’t on tidal is also not on qobuz.
 

 I haven’t gone through their classical section yet though but I can say they are lacking in jap prog rock from the 1970s (which is upsetting).

 

fwiw - some rare titles I search for are:

 

mike batt - “tarot suite”. Not on tidal, not on qobuz, not on Spotify.

 

supernaut - “supernaut” (the glam rock Aussie band from the 70s).  Not on tidal, not on qobuz but on Spotify.

 

Far East family band “far out”.  Was on tidal but disappeared, not on qobuz, is on Spotify.

 

but I refuse to use the paid version of Spotify.  I am a roon subscriber to tidal and/or qobuz for me.

Edited by captain starlight
Added more content
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


7 minutes ago, Niktech said:

What is the proposed  pricing in Australian dollars?

 

Seems to be like this:

 

1839110214_Qobuz-Unlimitedstreamingoffers-From19.16month.thumb.png.b99d2e7ab1e2841725f050f7105a5317.png

 

I.e. $24.99 per month, with a discount if you pay for a year in advance. If you pay full price for a year in advance, you also get discounts on hi-res purchases.

 

I don’t remember seeing this structure with my overseas account.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah........good to see that it's nearly there. It's just a matter of time now!

 

Now for the mega comparison between Qobuz, Tidal and Spotify hifi (once that also become available here)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Steffen said:

 

Seems to be like this:

 

1839110214_Qobuz-Unlimitedstreamingoffers-From19.16month.thumb.png.b99d2e7ab1e2841725f050f7105a5317.png

 

I.e. $24.99 per month, with a discount if you pay for a year in advance. If you pay full price for a year in advance, you also get discounts on hi-res purchases.

 

I don’t remember seeing this structure with my overseas account.

 

Thanks. That is a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. I was thinking circa $35-40

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, anandpkumar said:

Ah........good to see that it's nearly there. It's just a matter of time now!

 

Now for the mega comparison between Qobuz, Tidal and Spotify hifi (once that also become available here)


Well, relevant to this, what is the big deal about Qobuz? I can't remember if I've actually read/heard of reasons this is better than other services.

 

Also, as @captain starlight said, if it's like Tidal's catalog, it's not that great. They don't even have pretty unobscure stuff on that, like Mr. Bungle's latest release. There was also an album by Beach Bunny that is not on Tidal, but is on Apple Music. If only the latter had the SQ, because they have (possibly) the biggest catalog.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Esoterica said:


Well, relevant to this, what is the big deal about Qobuz?There was also an album by Beach Bunny that is not on Tidal, but is on Apple Music. If only the latter had the SQ, because they have (possibly) the biggest catalog.

 

I don’t know that there is a big deal about Qobuz, it’s just that it suits some people’s music tastes better. If you’re a hip-hop fan then I’m sure you won’t gain anything by switching from Tidal to Qobuz.

 

I’m mostly after classical and jazz. The Tidal classical catalog was a joke when I looked at it, their jazz catalog less so, but still not great. With Qobuz, I can find what I want (even obscure stuff) far more often than not. That makes it pretty much the only game in town. Another plus for me is their editorial content, and that they don’t support the MQA scam.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Esoterica said:


Well, relevant to this, what is the big deal about Qobuz? I can't remember if I've actually read/heard of reasons this is better than other services.

 

Also, as @captain starlight said, if it's like Tidal's catalog, it's not that great. They don't even have pretty unobscure stuff on that, like Mr. Bungle's latest release. There was also an album by Beach Bunny that is not on Tidal, but is on Apple Music. If only the latter had the SQ, because they have (possibly) the biggest catalog.

For me, knowing that Qobuz will be a legitimate alternative steaming option inside of roon lets me sleep a little easier at night.

Especially since signing up for the lifetime licence.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Esoterica said:


Well, relevant to this, what is the big deal about Qobuz? I can't remember if I've actually read/heard of reasons this is better than other services.

 

Also, as @captain starlight said, if it's like Tidal's catalog, it's not that great. They don't even have pretty unobscure stuff on that, like Mr. Bungle's latest release. There was also an album by Beach Bunny that is not on Tidal, but is on Apple Music. If only the latter had the SQ, because they have (possibly) the biggest catalog.

Qobuz have the latest Mr Bungle record in 24/44.1. No shortage of Beach Bunny stuff there. Anything in particular you want me to look for?

 

The big deal with Qobuz is high bitrate / bit depth content with no MQA. I've found the library more extensive (for me) than Tidal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Esoterica said:


Well, relevant to this, what is the big deal about Qobuz? I can't remember if I've actually read/heard of reasons this is better than other services.

 

 

Well, in my opinion, the sound improvements over Tidal alone make it worthwhile.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hydrology said:

Well, in my opinion, the sound improvements over Tidal alone make it worthwhile.

I've found it sounds better AND is more stable and less prone to buffering than Tidal and that's before they even have local CDN POPs here

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BugPowderDust said:

Anything in particular you want me to look for?


Nah man, that tells me enough and thanks for looking. Is it possible to browse the app without a subscription? I'd like to check it out.

 

Thanks for all the other informative posts too guys! I'm mostly into punk, rock, indie, alternative with some electronic, blues and jazz, and occasionally classical. But those rock subgenres would be over 60% of what I like. I just know from using Tidal for a while, that they often don't have more obscure alternative music I search for. Sounds like qobuz could be the one to get if they do have more music AND as good or better SQ!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Esoterica said:


Nah man, that tells me enough and thanks for looking. Is it possible to browse the app without a subscription? I'd like to check it out.

 

Thanks for all the other informative posts too guys! I'm mostly into punk, rock, indie, alternative with some electronic, blues and jazz, and occasionally classical. But those rock subgenres would be over 60% of what I like. I just know from using Tidal for a while, that they often don't have more obscure alternative music I search for. Sounds like qobuz could be the one to get if they do have more music AND as good or better SQ!

Not sure if I can look up the library without an account.  I don't use their interface anyway, it's all via Roon for me.

 

I'm on a similar tip to you music wise. I converted a 24 hour long playlist of hundreds of tracks from Spotify that I used to use on shuffle for parties to both Tidal and Qobuz. Qobuz only had 5 tracks missing, Tidal about a dozen.  I think the gap between their various libraries is getting shorter by the day.

 

Qobuz is definitely more HD content than Tidal too.

 

e.g. Jeff Buckley - Grace is in 24/192 on Qobuz (glorious it sounds too) but in Tidal last I checked it wasn't even close to that.

 

Lots more that I could get in 24/96 on Qobuz were just 16/44.1 on Tidal and I've seen way too many albums get converted from 16/44.1 to 16/44.1 MQA of late too. That's just not right.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Esoterica said:


Nah man, that tells me enough and thanks for looking. Is it possible to browse the app without a subscription? I'd like to check it out.

 

There is a free trial, but it looks like the apps aren’t out yet (at least not in the AU iOS app store). The web player may work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Steffen said:

 

There is a free trial, but it looks like the apps aren’t out yet (at least not in the AU iOS app store). The web player may work.


Yeah I went looking and discovered no ios app for au yet. I'll just wait until it's ready to go.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Those who are planning on streaming Qobuz to your streamer via Chromecast be informed that there is a known bug and there are drop outs. Roon is your best bet till the time it is fixed. This is only with the IOS app. Watch the audiophilestyle forum for the Qobuz thread. All known bugs are there. 
 

I jumped to Qobuz after 4 years with Tidal. The sound quality is definitely an improvement over Tidal. So be patient of move to Qobuz. It will improve and if not the big daddy is getting ready for you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know who is on the "tester" invitation list here on SNA? I would think SNA would be on the hit list for qobuz for beta testers. The pricing looks good. Family account with 6 members with yearly subscription is interesting but members have to be under the same roof. How will they police that?

Edited by noddyc43
Link to post
Share on other sites

Be nice to finally be able to download and use the android qobuz app.

 

Works great through Roon.

 

Will there be catalogue differences / limitations compared to subscriptions through other countries?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried to activate the free trial for Qobuz but received an error about using a VPN, saying they're not allowed.

 

I use a VPN for privacy requirements more than getting around geo-blocks, so it looks like Qobuz is a fail for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, davm said:

I tried to activate the free trial for Qobuz but received an error about using a VPN, saying they're not allowed.

 

I use a VPN for privacy requirements more than getting around geo-blocks, so it looks like Qobuz is a fail for me.

Set your VPN to an Australian server.  That allowed me to get further in the signup process - but I got stuck on the need to have an invite after that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I will go for the yearly package.  It isn’t much in the scheme of things.

 

I already have tidal and roon - but if qobuz excels then I may drop tidal.  Still going to keep roon though - no debate in that.

 

One thing that may irk me is that I am now using Plexamp on my iPhone instead of the tidal app.  Plexamp works great and connects to tidal - but it doesn’t connect to qobuz.   Just have to wait and see what the qobuz app is like.

 

arhh - so many 1st world decisions....

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, davm said:

I tried to activate the free trial for Qobuz but received an error about using a VPN, saying they're not allowed.

 

I use a VPN for privacy requirements more than getting around geo-blocks, so it looks like Qobuz is a fail for me.

Depending on your VPN provider, there is something called split tunnelling.  In your VPN settings you can set which apps do and don't use the VPN. For example most banking apps etc don't like VPN's so I exclude them from "tunnelling". You could do the same with Quobuz.

Edited by Niktech
Phone typing
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, davm said:

I tried to activate the free trial for Qobuz but received an error about using a VPN, saying they're not allowed.

 

I use a VPN for privacy requirements more than getting around geo-blocks, so it looks like Qobuz is a fail for me.

I might be wrong but I think the VPn is an issue only for signing up. Once you are signed up I think you can turn your VPN back on and stream.

Would be nice if someone can confirm this as it would be a deal breaker for me too

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/03/2021 at 7:52 AM, Steffen said:

 

Seems to be like this:

 

1839110214_Qobuz-Unlimitedstreamingoffers-From19.16month.thumb.png.b99d2e7ab1e2841725f050f7105a5317.png

 

I.e. $24.99 per month, with a discount if you pay for a year in advance. If you pay full price for a year in advance, you also get discounts on hi-res purchases.

 

I don’t remember seeing this structure with my overseas account.

 

Looks like my Tidal subscription is on thin ice.

Qobuz so much more appealing without MQA and with the purchase discounts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

I might be wrong but I think the VPn is an issue only for signing up. Once you are signed up I think you can turn your VPN back on and stream.

Would be nice if someone can confirm this as it would be a deal breaker for me too

I had to use a VPN to sign up to pay my subscription via UK Qobuz. But streaming doesn’t need the VPN 

 

will switch to an Oz subscription when it’s available

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Marc locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...