QOBUZ in OZ--guidance please in simple steps

I only ran the VPN on signup. Haven’t run it in about 14 months and no issues with using Qobuz anywhere - even buying music.

11206667-642B-41A6-B7A0-7452CE23B216.thumb.png.bcab7d37bba823edfb216ae2684838ec.png

• Like 2
  • Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tweeted to Qobuz about their lack of service in Australia. Their reply was:    https://twitter.com/qobuz/status/1300821370817871872?s=20     Lets hope by Christmas (or s

I’ve been listening to Qobuz through Roon, using nord VPN for about 8 months now.   Much prefer the sound quality over Tidal.  

Yeah, I think its probably content testing/signing off local content deals(?) - ie library build in progress and they probably want to ensure wide content availability for general release to meet expe

4 hours ago, Bill125812 said:

Deactivate the VPN and Qubuz no longer works 

I signed up using VPN and a US credit card and never used VPN. It works like a charm. In fact we have a 6 person family plan so all 6 of us are using with no VPN. 

• Like 1

The key here though is when you signed up.

Qubuz has intensified it's crackdown on VPN use and of proxies. There are various methods for them to detect VPN's and proxies, such as Deep Packet Inspection, and monitoring server traffic assigned to suspect IP addresses.

Whilst they can't see the encrypted traffic, they do know a VPN is being used.

Edited by Niktech
Grammar
  • Like 1

OK, so I managed to crack this just now after some lateral thinking. 

Things you will need:

1. A VPN with an exit node in the USA. I used Private Internet Access.

2. A phone number in the USA.  I signed up with TextMe, picked an area code and signed up for a number for a week for $1.49 USD. (You might not need to pay, I just did to make life easier.)

Steps To Success:

Stage 1 get a Paypal US account):

1. With your VPN connected to a USA exit node, to go to PayPal.com and create an account
  2. It will want a US number to send the confirmation SMS to
  3. Launch TextMe and get a number assigned to you. You will need to pick an area code. For example "615"
  4. Write this number down
  5. Enter this number in the Paypal page as requested
  6. Go into Textme app and collect the verification number Paypal sent you
  7. Enter validation number from Textme in Paypal
  8. You'll need a street address too, preferably with the same area code as your phone number so try something like this: https://www.bestrandoms.com/random-california-address (615 above is California)

Well done. You now have a Paypal USA account.  Attach your credit card (Australian is fine) to the new Paypal account.

Stage 2: Get a Qobuz account

1. With your VPN still connected to a US based exit node, go to Qobuz website
  2. Create an account and sign up for payment with Paypal

Exit your VPN and you now have a Qobuz account that gets paid for with an Australian credit card via PayPal in the USA.

I'm listening away happily to Qobuz on Roon with my VPN disconnected right now, pulling a 24/192 stream.

image.png.c0a76c35d9b6ebd8eedfa2ab69f64f62.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BugPowderDust said:

A VPN with an exit node in the USA.

ok dumb question, when you say "exit node" in the USA does that simply mean that you tell the VPN to show your location as being in the USA (or does 'exit node" mean something else)?

1 hour ago, BugPowderDust said:

OK, so I managed to crack this just now after some lateral thinking. 

Things you will need:

1. A VPN with an exit node in the USA. I used Private Internet Access.

2. A phone number in the USA.  I signed up with TextMe, picked an area code and signed up for a number for a week for $1.49 USD. (You might not need to pay, I just did to make life easier.)

Nicely said. @doogie44, if you're still trying ^

Thanks to all for the thoughtful answers. Bugpowderdust has proved the steps.

I did all this originally when I succeeded in establishing a Qobuz account and a US PayPal account. Despite all this it was the Aussie credit card that stopped the process every time. It now seems that there is a new path forward?

The burning question for me is whether I want to spend further hours on doing this on

the presumed eve of the Qobuz launch—having the WIG factor (warm inner glow) of going legit and not tying myself up in digital knots.

Those many, many hours trying to coddle Windows and apps and digital media generally in recent years have been fairly fruitless. I could never aspire to the knowledge that some here on SNA display. Did I mention I have developed a severe case of computer aversion? Or is it love-hate? I have no teeth left because of all the gnashing I have done. Don’t get me started on computers masquerading as hi-fi devices! Sad, I know. I used to be happily computer-literate. But it’s getting to the stage where you need a degree in IT to keep the simplest device going.

In short, I am grateful but less motivated than originally. I will bide my time. Hopefully it won’t be too long because those 24/192 files are a thing of beauty played via triodes.

Regards to all

I'm not sure it's that involved a process after my attempt today. You just need to make sure you're paying Qobuz with a US based Paypal account. They never see your credit card.

Now that I've laid out the steps, if you were sufficiently motivated you should be able to do it in under 10 mins. I'll likely convert back to a standard Qobuz account in Australia if they do ever open up here. 

Since I got back online before, I've been doing some random searches in Roon across Tidal and Qobuz and finding some interesting gaps in the Qobuz library. Tidal for me does seem a little more complete, but admittedly they both suck compared to Spotify's library.

I've yet to fire up the Roon stream to my main listening setup, but I'll be intrigued to see how much (if any) difference I notice across MQA vs 24/192 content.  Tidal always seems a little "hotter" in terms of signal on my study setup, but I've yet to compare to Qobuz. It should be a good test session for my new MSB DAC tomorrow afternoon.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, BugPowderDust said:

I'm not sure it's that involved a process after my attempt today. You just need to make sure you're paying Qobuz with a US based Paypal account. They never see your credit card.

Now that I've laid out the steps, if you were sufficiently motivated you should be able to do it in under 10 mins. I'll likely convert back to a standard Qobuz account in Australia if they do ever open up here. 

Since I got back online before, I've been doing some random searches in Roon across Tidal and Qobuz and finding some interesting gaps in the Qobuz library. Tidal for me does seem a little more complete, but admittedly they both suck compared to Spotify's library.

I've yet to fire up the Roon stream to my main listening setup, but I'll be intrigued to see how much (if any) difference I notice across MQA vs 24/192 content.  Tidal always seems a little "hotter" in terms of signal on my study setup, but I've yet to compare to Qobuz. It should be a good test session for my new MSB DAC tomorrow afternoon.

That was my impression, too, when I was running the free Tidal trial. Does anyone know where Qobuz falls on the LUFS scale?

1998671261_TheFutureofMasteringLoudnessintheAgeofMusicStreaming-YouTube.thumb.png.1c051109af21c0bc8326c3cd68c92dee.png

(from this video, which also explains LUFS and related concepts)

Mmmmm, if I ever have to save some $ I'll make the switch from Tidal. I dread transferring my library and updating my Roon playlists though  :(

On 01/02/2021 at 11:44 AM, Hydrology said:

This is how I did it last year with 100% success. Of course the goal posts may have changed since then. As @Marc has said numerous times, the official launch in Aus is imminent anyways

I tried hoxx just now, qobuz said “proxy is not allowed”. Guess they increased their proxy checking level.  

• Like 1
On 01/02/2021 at 2:23 PM, MrBurns84 said:

@Bill125812 Interesting - me too,  as i'm finding the SQ on Quboz pips over the tidal versions as well.  Its there but its subtle.  

In general, I agree with you about Qobuz sounding better than Tidal. There are a couple of instances* where the reverse is, to my ears, is true, but overall Qobuz sounds/feels much more enjoyable.

*If you're a subscriber to both services can I suggest you find and listen to Club For Five's albums, You're the Voice and You're the Voice - Live, albums. The MQA versions are noticeably more spacious in the sound field and the voices are clearer too. Club For Five's version of Brothers in Arms will have the hairs on the back of your neck standing on end!

Edited by JukKluk2

So far I've noticed that where Tidal has a high res MQA stream, Qobuz has at least the same format but in a non MQA format.  However in many cases where there is just a bog standard 16/44 Tidal stream or 16/44 MQA stream, Qobuz seems to be 24/48 or 24/96 at least.

I've found very little difference in the collections across Tidal / Qobuz so far, so I expect Tidal is going to get the flick in a week or so. Bye bye MQA

• Like 1

If you’re desperate, I posted the “how” to get Qobuz working in Australia last week in this thread.  

In that time I’ve converted all my Tidal and Spotify playlists to Qobuz using Soundiiz and cancelled my Tidal subscription.

I’ve also found a much higher hit rate in terms of my library on Qobuz and better still, many more albums in hi rez than I found on Tidal. Eg Jeff Buckley’s Grace in 24/192 on Qobuz and only 16/44.1 on Tidal. No need for MQA in this house.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marc said:

Please don't bring it up again - I've likely said more than I am supposed to already! 

Don’t worry, we’ll come visit you in gaol :)

• Haha 2

I've had Qobuz for quite a while, it will be interesting to see if once rolled in Australia if the account will be able to be updated to local by changing address/location or if i'll need to cancel one and start another.  Looking at the profile it offers you options to change your location but we'll see.

Over the past year or so I have also read online UK subcriptions and USA subcriptions have slightly different artist and album rosters which I guess is due to licensing so it will be interesting to see if similar applies to here.  Not sure if Spotify and or Tidal have same happenings?

There is an SnA user earlier in this thread that had Qobuz subscription in various regions based on this, I asked if there was any glaring differences they'd noticed but they didn't respond so either didnt see the post or just didn't reply.  However once it is here people with US or UK subscriptions will be able to do a cross check pretty quickly.  I doubt its anything dramatic and probably being worked on consistantly at a global level  and my guess would be its more a few albums here and there as opposed to artists missing entirely, none the less its interesting to see how licensing might work.

I managed to sign up to Qobuz this weekend and am so far loving it. I had to try a few different VPN exit nodes before it would let me through.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get the Qobuz app installed on an iOS device? The app isn't available in the Australia app store. Sadly I am not able to simply change my account region as that would require removing all of my subscriptions (and according to what I've read I would need to cancel them and then wait until the current billing period passes).

It's not a big deal as I only have limited use for the app on my phone, but it would indeed be handy. 

I'm sure if/when Qobuz release in Australia it will become available in the store.

Nah you can’t do it without changing region which is a bit painful. I run all my stuff through Roon so the Qobuz app never sees the light of day in this house.

2 hours ago, NikonUser said:

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get the Qobuz app installed on an iOS device? The app isn't available in the Australia app store. Sadly I am not able to simply change my account region as that would require removing all of my subscriptions (and according to what I've read I would need to cancel them and then wait until the current billing period passes).

Ignore(I seemed to be able to download the app no problems through both and Optus and Tesltra iphone.  )

Update, sorry moment of senility, as BugPowderDust said, i access it through roon remote too, which was what was thinking of.   Never mind me.  

Edited by CameronAus
10 minutes ago, CameronAus said:

I seemed to be able to download the app no problems through both and Optus and Tesltra iphone.  

Interesting.

When searching the store on my iPhone X (latest iOS) and iPad Pro I get zero results. If I click on the link to the app store from the qobuz website I get a message telling me that it isn't available in my country or region.

Also on Telstra.

With respect for everyone and no offence intended whatsoever, it seems  the availability of this service is imminent in Australia, so instead of burrowing down rabbit holes, it may be worthwhile to wait a few weeks until it becomes fully operational  and available in Australia sans cloak and dagger.:)

Edited by rantan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, BugPowderDust said:

Nah you can’t do it without changing region which is a bit painful. I run all my stuff through Roon so the Qobuz app never sees the light of day in this house.

I use Roon at home also, I was hoping to be able to ditch Apple Music for some on the go tunes.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, rantan said:

With respect for everyone and no offence intended whatsoever, it seems  the availability of this service is imminent in Australia, so instead of burrowing down rabbit holes, it may be worthwhile t wait a few weeks until it becomes fully operational  and available in Australia sans cloak and dagger.:)

You certainly aren't wrong, but impulse control and I don't mix :)

Only time will tell, but it will also be interesting to see what the state of the Australian catalog will be. From what I've read it took a while to get the US one up to scratch.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, NikonUser said:

You certainly aren't wrong, but impulse control and I don't mix :)

Only time will tell, but it will also be interesting to see what the state of the Australian catalog will be. From what I've read it took a while to get the US one up to scratch.

The Qobuz Australian catalogue is already better than Tidal.  

I'm wondering what the Australian pricing will be at each tier/level. If they charge US prices at the current  exchange rate, I imagine that it could be quite costly in addition to a ROON subscription. I guess they could just globally set the price across the board: US$24.99, AU$24.99, £24.99.

Interesting times.

I don't listen to mainstream music, so it is mostly a curiosity 🙂 

Edited by Niktech
Context
7 hours ago, NikonUser said:

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get the Qobuz app installed on an iOS device? The app isn't available in the Australia app store

I created an account in the US store to download it and then I returned to my country store. It works well. They update the app once a month or so during update you can log back into the US store. It is some effort but I stopped using Roon and a much better experience imho. Cheers

11 hours ago, rantan said:

With respect for everyone and no offence intended whatsoever, it seems  the availability of this service is imminent in Australia, so instead of burrowing down rabbit holes, it may be worthwhile to wait a few weeks until it becomes fully operational  and available in Australia sans cloak and dagger.:)

Would certainly make it much easier. Mind you they were saying they were coming to Aus in 2018 when I signed up. I was in Europe at the time so no cloak and dagger.

10 hours ago, BrownMagic said:

I created an account in the US store to download it and then I returned to my country store. It works well.

That needs a US credit card?

You can make an account and it has no idea where your Apple ID is set to. If you are set to Australia though, the Apple App Store won’t let you download the Qobuz app.

To switch you need to go into your App Store settings and change something: 

https://www.imore.com/how-change-countries-itunes-and-app-store-iphone-or-ipad

The problem with this is you need to unsubscribe some apps which are localised to Australia to do it which is why I haven’t bothered.

On 12/02/2021 at 3:56 PM, Tony B said:

Fair call! Tired of the Tidal push on the rap style genres. 

completely agree, don't know why all they have is rap and rap and punk?

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, TDX said:

completely agree, don't know why all they have is rap and rap and punk?

I really don't understand this, about the only genre I don't listen to is Classical, oh and rap and punk, and I can find 99.99% of what I want to play via Tidal.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, awayward said:

I really don't understand this, about the only genre I don't listen to is Classical, oh and rap and punk, and I can find 99.99% of what I want to play via Tidal.

I am referring to the "new release" or exploration they try to promote, most of the time are the music I am not interested in. Qobuz has better suggestions.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, TDX said:

I am referring to the "new release" or exploration they try to promote, most of the time are the music I am not interested in. Qobuz has better suggestions.

Easy answer: Tidal is owned by Jay-Z. You do the sums.

• 2 weeks later...

I for one a very excited about Qobuz soon coming to Australia.  I am currently a tidal subscriber and I do enjoy it - but their mixes are poor, the ios app sux big time and well (and being frank) I’m not too keen on their recommendations.

so I will try qobuz and give it a good go.  I am a roon subscriber so I’ve got my fingers crossed it all goes well.

anyone have any ideas on proposed pricing yet though?

I am aware that Spotify are shouting they are also going hi-fi - but to me, no.  Simply because there is no roon integration.

btw - how do you pronounce qobuz?

10 minutes ago, captain starlight said:

btw - how do you pronounce qobuz?

qw-oh-buz. (?)

current subscriber along with tidal, and heavy usb audio player pro (android) user, so hyped for this. thx for the info.

qobuz app on android is not too bad, tidal app is better. both are integrated with UAPP so why use the native apps lol

... The French music streaming service with a unique name (pronounced "co buzz") ....