Qobuz Discussion Thread

1. I find that my Cambridge CXN streamer is now ready to incorporate Qobuz automatically.

2. Qobuz is not formally offered to Australian consumers--but I like everything about it. Goodbye lossy files, hallo FLAC.

3. Some SNA members have overcome this limitation--but with conflicting advice to digital idiots (like me).

Would a kind digital guru spell out in simple steps how I can end up with a Qobuz subscription playing in my Aussie system? It's not the money--it's the know how!

This is a gateway to real digital enjoyment for me.

Thanks 

You will need to use a VPN like Nord VPN (subscription based) this will allow you to connect to a server in another country (which supports Qobuz) - Warning This may be in breach of Qobuz terms of service.

Nord VPN is easy enough to use on PC but if connecting trough your streamer it will need to be configured thorough your internet router. This is not something you would attempt if you did not have a good understanding of these things

I did it awhile ago no real difference to Tidal except for the user interface. 

• Like 1

You don’t even need to use a paid VPN service.

It can be done very easily using both the Hoxx and webRTC extensions for Chrome. Both are free. Payment via CC is fine, but PayPal will be geoblocked when paying for Qobuz (it was for me)

Hoxx allows you to choose your location, in this case, US. I just used a different email address to the one I signed up with last week to trial Qobuz.

Once it was up and running, I deleted the extensions from the Chrome browser.

• Like 2

Like everyone else, I have a VPN, a free one from Hola. My only advice is that you make certain that your security software is up to date. I haven't had a problem, but in the early days Hola was reported on by mine. These days, almost never.

In my case I use a Hotmail account as my log-in with Qobuz and , unlike @hydrology, have had no issues linking my PayPal account.

It's as easy as 22/7.

Also, once you have your account set up, you can download the Qobuz app (I use an iPhone X) and listen on the go without any problems of geography, except the no signal kind out in the bush.

Edited by JukKluk2
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, JukKluk2 said:

Also, once you have your account set up, you can download the Qobuz app (I use an iPhone X) and listen on the go without any problems of geography, except the no signal kind out in the bush.

I use a Pixel phone and sideloaded the app, but cannot get the app to download on my iPad because of the App Store geo-block.

1 minute ago, Hydrology said:

I use a Pixel phone and sideloaded the app, but cannot get the app to download on my iPad because of the App Store geo-block.

Ya got me there @Hydrology. All this happened over six months ago so my detailed memory is a bit slim but I don't recall having any problems downloading the app. Perhaps they have cottoned on to what we Antipodeans are up to and have done something about it?

Guest thathifiguy
1 hour ago, Hydrology said:

Won’t work with a US iTunes account?

2 hours ago, thathifiguy said:

Won’t work with a US iTunes account?

I can’t seem to find a simple way to setup my iPad to the Us App Store. It’s not a dealbreaker though as I predominately use Roon, with the Qobuz on my smartphone, in the car.

21 hours ago, Hydrology said:

You don’t even need to use a paid VPN service.

It can be done very easily using both the Hoxx and webRTC extensions for Chrome. Both are free. Payment via CC is fine, but PayPal will be geoblocked when paying for Qobuz (it was for me)

Hoxx allows you to choose your location, in this case, US. I just used a different email address to the one I signed up with last week to trial Qobuz.

Once it was up and running, I deleted the extensions from the Chrome browser.

Whether you use a VPN or other browser tool, I only required that when setting up the account and payments, and when editing account details later.  ( I used PayPal).  

After setup I have never needed the VPN active to stream or cache music with Qobuz whether in Australia or even China.

i set the account up via UK, but believe Qobuz are now also in US.

they substantially dropped the price of their plans recently, shaving 10 GBP off my monthly bill.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

I can’t seem to find a simple way to setup my iPad to the Us App Store. It’s not a dealbreaker though as I predominately use Roon, with the Qobuz on my smartphone, in the car.

I have my iPad and iPhone setup to use Australian, US, and China app stores.

US to run OViD app for documentaries 

China to install the CHina Merchants Bank App

you will need to create 3 separate email/accounts.

you can just sign out of one iTunes account and login to the other temporarily to download apps from US or China app stores.  Once done you log out and log back into the Australian App Store.   Very straight forward.

i only need the China or US app stores again each time there is an app update.

Thanks for all the information, gentlemen. Have I got this right for my situation:

1. Create a Hotmail account and utilise a Chrome extension like Hoxx

2. Go to Qobuz (simulating a UK/US location) and create a subscription--which I pay for using Paypal or CC...whichever works

3. Delete the extension from Chrome

4. On my iPad, use the updated Cambridge StreamMagic app, which incorporates Qobuz, and take it from there

OK?

I've tried this route recently and got both my paypal and CC geoblocked on payment. Qobuz accepted the authorisations but showed up the payment as an error. The authorisations showed up on my CC for a few days and then disappeared. I went to the help desk and they admitted that they geoblock all non US CC and paypal. I really don't understand why they don't let subscribers from AUS access their content. Why do we keep getting screwed on DRM? Even Apple have come to the party by reducing differential pricing.

Frankly with the content available on Tidal, I would just use that. I use Roon to manage NAS and Tidal, works beautifully if you have a good network.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

I've tried this route recently and got both my paypal and CC geoblocked on payment. Qobuz accepted the authorisations but showed up the payment as an error. The authorisations showed up on my CC for a few days and then disappeared. I went to the help desk and they admitted that they geoblock all non US CC and paypal. I really don't understand why they don't let subscribers from AUS access their content. Why do we keep getting screwed on DRM? Even Apple have come to the party by reducing differential pricing.

Frankly with the content available on Tidal, I would just use that. I use Roon to manage NAS and Tidal, works beautifully if you have a good network.

Hmm, maybe they added additional checking after I signed up.   

has anyone tried doing the initial payment with a PayPal balance instead of having payment pulled from an underlying Australian bank account.  

not sure how Qobuz would do this unless PayPal returns info about which country the PayPal account was setup in?

i see you tried the US version, did you try sign up with UK version of Qobuz?

Edited by Demondes

I had no problem signing up using PayPal and a VPN. once signed up you don't need the vpn unless you want to change account settings or buy albums then you're taken to a web page which needs you to be using the vpn

1 hour ago, gypr1961 said:

I had no problem signing up using PayPal and a VPN. once signed up you don't need the vpn unless you want to change account settings or buy albums then you're taken to a web page which needs you to be using the vpn

I purchase music regularly from their website and the VPN was only required for me when setting up the original account.

On 13/03/2020 at 12:38 PM, BlueOceanBoy said:

I find Tidals library severely lacking, particularly with Oz content. I'd love Roon to integrate with Spotify despite the lower bit rate streaming, but apparently Spotify aren't interested.

On 17/03/2020 at 12:49 PM, blybo said:

I find Tidals library severely lacking, particularly with Oz content. I'd love Roon to integrate with Spotify despite the lower bit rate streaming, but apparently Spotify aren't interested.

In as perfect world as we could reasonably hope for, Spotify would up their bit rate to CD level and above, and they would also join the Roon club. Is it going to happen?

A few years ago we all thought that Amazon wouldn't set up an Oz distribution centre either, not that things went as planned there, did it? Seems that voting with our wallets wasn't the reaction to cutting international access that they expected.

Perhaps the Spotify/Roon thing may yet happen. And it may actually work to our benefit, or will soon-ish after, when/if it does. My fingers are crossed.

Edited by JukKluk2
bda seplling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JukKluk2 said:

Perhaps the Spotify/Roon thing may yet happen. And it may actually work to our benefit, or will soon-ish after, when/if it does. My fingers are crossed.

Mine are too. I'd drop Tidal in an instant. The supposedly obvious SQ difference between these services is simply not there to my ears. And that's on multiple systems with speakers and headphones.

I've done the bitrate blind test online and usually get around 75% correct so my ears can't be that bad, but often it's a bit of a guess and 320kps compressed MP3's are fine by me.

Can we get a free trial of Qubuz without the need for a vpn etc?

1 hour ago, blybo said:

Can we get a free trial of Qubuz without the need for a vpn etc?

I think the short answer to that is.....NO. Geo-blocking will see to that.

Don't be scared of utilising a VPN, though. I am geek level zero and frequently have to resort to phoning an uber geek (not Uber Eats) mate of mine who has learned how to simplify most of my quandaries and resolve them in ways that I can replicate (eventually). Qobuz is much better than Tidal for me. It's worth the small effort.

5 hours ago, blybo said:

Might be genre specific - I keep Tidal (I also have Qobuz) largely for the Australian content.