QOBUZ in OZ--guidance please in simple steps

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tweeted to Qobuz about their lack of service in Australia. Their reply was:    https://twitter.com/qobuz/status/1300821370817871872?s=20     Lets hope by Christmas (or s

I’ve been listening to Qobuz through Roon, using nord VPN for about 8 months now.   Much prefer the sound quality over Tidal.  

Yeah, I think its probably content testing/signing off local content deals(?) - ie library build in progress and they probably want to ensure wide content availability for general release to meet expe

48 minutes ago, mjs said:

@Munce31 Vince, good job, I have weighed in as well

Yes, I saw that. Thanks for weighing in. 

Hopefully more people from this thread can add to that tweet thread. The more voices we have, the quicker they may expedite the process to release here in Aus.

Australia's in need for an alternative for high quality streaming.

6 minutes ago, Munce31 said:

Hopefully more people from this thread can add to that tweet thread. The more voices we have, the quicker they may expedite the process to release here in Aus.

If I remotely understood twitter - I would :/

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/09/2020 at 10:15 AM, Munce31 said:

Tweeted a reply to them, just now.

• Like 1

I had Qobuz on a trial last year, I used a free VPN at that time with no issues signing up.

I tried Deezer, Qobuz, Tidal and Spotify, I struggled with all the services lack of QC on album covers and artist catalogs lumping other artists into ones catalog where the name might be the same - except for Spotify, who seemd to have their **** together with that stuff.  I now have Spotify family premium and a mate kindly shares me one of his family spots on Tidal HiFi so am lucky to have options.  I would not move on from Spotify though, its total user experience and algorythm set up is so far ahead of the others its embarrassing to them

Cut to now and just came accross this thread and I've been thinking over the past few months about Hi-Res streaming and the polarising opinions on MQA vs Hi-Res.  I have Bluesound node 2i which handles MQA in full but also have separate DACs which I think raise the bar on the Node 2i but wont handle MQA via the streamer.

x1 of these DACs will unpack MQA via its USB audio in and other wont at all as its not an MQA happy DAC. Both will handle DSD via their usb inputs and 24/96 and 24/192 via any input

I just tried joining Qobuz again and had no issue. 

I used a free tunnel bear VPN which gives 500mb per month. I selected UK it allowed me to go through the sign up process, I then went to pay via PayPal and because my PayPal is a .com account from many many years ago I thought maybe I should switch to the USA, so I moved from the UK to the USA and went through PayPal and chose a postcode in L.A where I stayed in a hotel once (no address required) and now I am in.  No issues at all.

Got a confirmation email and my account is locked in and running.  I only did one month but can upgrade to annual subscription which looks great value.  The thing I found hardest TBH was getting the app on my phone, it picked up my google account and would not allow me to download the app, but I have x2 gmail accounts so simply used tunnel bear again and logged into my other account downloaded the app and all is fine. Once the sign in and all that was done I simply closed off Tunnel Bear and now all is normal via the desktop and phone and also via the BluOs app.

Looking forward to revisiting this service now, it looks much better than it did a year ago.  Still not perfect but as this would be used for more sitting and listening as opposed to on the move like Spotify I am ok with it not being as well put together.  One thing I have noticed immediately is the integration with BluOs is a little different to Tidal as it does not share the same API funcitionality so favourites are not in alphabetical order etc, this might fixt in due time as Qobuz expand their reach.

Either way for now, it seems flawless and joining up was pretty straight forward thankfully.  Will do some listening today and over the weekend between it and Tidal and see what I prefer now that Qobuz seem to have stepped up considerably with their selection of music depth.

I am most keen to experience the 24/192 files on Qobuz and already I can see 24/96 files on Qobuz of bands I listen too that Tidal only has 16/44. Pretty impressive as I am referring to Death Metal bands that I would never have thought would available in any capacity above 16/44.1.  Next and importantly is to check out how it sounds.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, 08Boss302 said:

I just tried joining Qobuz again and had no issue. 

I used a free tunnel bear VPN which gives 500mb per month. I selected UK it allowed me to go through the sign up process, I then went to pay via PayPal and because my PayPal is a .com account from many many years ago I thought maybe I should switch to the USA, so I moved from the UK to the USA and went through PayPal and chose a postcode in L.A where I stayed in a hotel once (no address required) and now I am in.  No issues at all.

Thanks for the simple steps.

I think the key phrase here is my Paypal is a .com account

After all the hoo hah I am waiting for Christmas and an Aussie launch (as prophesied earlier)

Edited by doogie44
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Been using it a few days now. 

I'm not yet sure I hear much difference over TIDAL but I have noticed a lot of 24/96 HiRes options that TIDAL has std CD quality of...  Again, is it distinguishable, not sure.  But it's cool to see. 

Also I really like how you can identify the bit rate playing or of the album. 

A lot of artists have 24/192 that are also mqa on TIDAL but obviously it's easier to play 192khz on more DACs, this has appeal.  Interestingly some MQA albums are not on qobuz at 192khz but are at 24/96, which equivalent to the first unfold of MQA. 

I'd have thought if something is available In MQA then it would be available in HiRes 192khz? 

Conversely, some artists are in HiRes  24/96 where TIDAL have no MQA at all and it's just 16/44.

There is also more instances of artists having multiple artists in their catalog, which really annoys me.  Surly enough care to identify a heavy metal artists releases lumped with hip hop and gospel isn't too much to ask for -TIDAL plagued with same lack of QC in that regard. 

Thus far though, it seems good. If I keep it set up like this and it comes to Australia it doesn't look to be hard update my my account and location.... Or to entirely delete this account and start over. 

Will get a good feel over the next few weeks.

48 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

Been using it a few days now. 

I'm not yet sure I hear much difference over TIDAL but I have noticed a lot of 24/96 HiRes options that TIDAL has std CD quality of...  Again, is it distinguishable, not sure.  But it's cool to see. 

Also I really like how you can identify the bit rate playing or of the album. 

A lot of artists have 24/192 that are also mqa on TIDAL but obviously it's easier to play 192khz on more DACs, this has appeal.  Interestingly some MQA albums are not on qobuz at 192khz but are at 24/96, which equivalent to the first unfold of MQA. 

I'd have thought if something is available In MQA then it would be available in HiRes 192khz? 

Conversely, some artists are in HiRes  24/96 where TIDAL have no MQA at all and it's just 16/44.

There is also more instances of artists having multiple artists in their catalog, which really annoys me.  Surly enough care to identify a heavy metal artists releases lumped with hip hop and gospel isn't too much to ask for -TIDAL plagued with same lack of QC in that regard. 

Thus far though, it seems good. If I keep it set up like this and it comes to Australia it doesn't look to be hard update my my account and location.... Or to entirely delete this account and start over. 

Will get a good feel over the next few weeks.

I had Tidal and Qobuz for a while, I found that there was basically no difference in SQ, I did find that Qobuz lacked the range of Heavy Metal music that Tidal had, so I let Qobuz go.

1 hour ago, awayward said:

I had Tidal and Qobuz for a while, I found that there was basically no difference in SQ, I did find that Qobuz lacked the range of Heavy Metal music that Tidal had, so I let Qobuz go.

My thoughts at the moment are similar with SQ. I am maybe subconciously liking seeing all the HiRes files that are simply std files on Tidal though.  The other element I am a bit taken by ATM is that when using my Node 2i  I get the full MQA unpack only via its RCA outs.  If I use my external DACs and connect them via  coax or toslink from the Node 2i I only get first unpack (usually 24/96 or 88.2) which is totally fine and on par with quite a few of the HiRes albums on Qobuz.   It still remains though to get a full MQA unpack to an external DAC via coax/toslink from the Node 2i there are very very few DACs that will allow it, Mytek range is one that I am aware of but using Qobuz, I do  like that I can send 192khz from my Node 2i to my external DACs via the coax/toslink.....that part of things has me pretty excited for now anyway and I'll need see if that equates to any noticeable SQ difference to me too.

I have never really used USB audio inputs on my system - namely because I dont have a laptop and am not aware of any other way to do it with my main PC at the other end of the house.

re the music library, I am doing some deep mining right now and its not too bad, certainly better than last year when I had it.  Havent come accross much I have on Tidal that I cannot see on Qobuz, ie the new Carnation and similar are in HiRes and things like Gatecreeper are also.  All that said, both have gaps when compared to Spotify in that respect.

What does confuse me though as mentioned in my earlier post is lets take a band like America - the S/T album is on Tidal at MQA and on Qobuz its at 24/96.  Given its available in MQA which I think is 24/196khz when fully unpacked its odd that Qobuz doesnt have that same level of HiRes for that album.  

Its all splitting hairs though, after a week of living with it I'll know.  Given the recent funds injection Qobuz have they are likely to not only expand their reach but I'd guess also clean up their library a bit too. Tidal has improved over the past year, I would suspect Qobuz will too.  If they do include Australia in their expansion it will be great to whave another HiRes/HiFi streaming service option easily accessed here. It will also be interesting to see how many jump ship.

• 5 weeks later...

Have been using Qobuz for a little over a year, and I'm really happy with the service.
Interface is pretty bad but Audirvana makes that irrelevant.

If you didn't make an account early, i'm pretty sure you won't be able to now.

I made three accounts for different regions at the time to demo library.

I wonder if you can change the email/password so someone else can use it.

On 25/10/2020 at 7:57 PM, Gabehcuod said:

I made three accounts for different regions at the time to demo library.

Interesting... I've read about this and some of the differences people have noticed. Some differences seem subtle others not so subtle and more so seems genre specific impact too. 

Not sure if geographically Spotify or TIDAL etc are impacted or vary the same. I read from some international users that the library was growing and the aim to equalise was them was there but it's taking time... 

Did you notice a difference and if so which region was your preferred. 

Edited by 08Boss302
Spelling
  • 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Marc - Any news if there singapore will get Qobuz? 

I signed up for a trial using VPN and it works well. You do not need VPN for it to work otherwise. With the limited A/B with Tidal, I find Qobuz to be more relaxed/natural sounding while Tidal seems to be boosted. 

• Administrators

I can't answer for Singapore sorry. Only aware of what is happening in AUS and its imminent launch (which has been delayed only slightly).

• Thanks 1

I suspect Qobuz will be available in Australia soon.  Their Aussie catalogue was poor but over the last 12mths the Aussie music catalogue has been building up and is now as good as Tidal.  

Edited by GroovyGuru

I'm using one of the best VPN's available, and on trying to sign up for a trial I get the following message:

"Whoops proxies and VPN's Not Allowed"

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been listening to Qobuz through Roon, using nord VPN for about 8 months now.   Much prefer the sound quality over Tidal.  

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Bill125812 said:

using nord VPN for about 8 months now.

You only need VPN to sign up. Rest of the time you don’t need to be connected to VPN. 

And Just noticed you have the Primare. I was told by the primare tech that you can use the Qobuz app to stream to Primare via Chromecast at 24/192. Have you tried this? For those of us who don’t need roon, this is a blessing. 

Edited by BrownMagic
  • Like 1
On 31/01/2021 at 8:31 AM, Bill125812 said:

@Bill125812 Interesting - me too,  as i'm finding the SQ on Quboz pips over the tidal versions as well.  Its there but its subtle.  

Edited by MrBurns84
  • Like 1
  • Administrators

You can't do it. It's been tested and proven countless times in this thread, that is unless of course you have a US-issued credit card.

• Like 1
On 31/01/2021 at 8:03 AM, Marc said:

It was hinted at January and then delayed. Nothing has changed to my knowledge.

Be interesting to see when they do release qobuz here whether it will have any additional Australian Content.  I found Oz rock/pop a bit light in the UK one I am signed too.

Does anyone know if content between UK and US version varies or is it exactly the same?

On 07/03/2020 at 9:22 PM, Hydrology said:

You don’t even need to use a paid VPN service.

It can be done very easily using both the Hoxx and webRTC extensions for Chrome. Both are free. Payment via CC is fine, but PayPal will be geoblocked when paying for Qobuz (it was for me)

Hoxx allows you to choose your location, in this case, US. I just used a different email address to the one I signed up with last week to trial Qobuz.

Once it was up and running, I deleted the extensions from the Chrome browser.

This is how I did it last year with 100% success. Of course the goal posts may have changed since then. As @Marc has said numerous times, the official launch in Aus is imminent anyways

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Marc said:

You can't do it. It's been tested and proven countless times in this thread, that is unless of course you have a US-issued credit card.

I did it using nord. And I don’t have a US based CC 

I did use a debit card. Not a CC if that makes a difference 

• Like 1

The question is “when” did you sign up Bill?

Qobuz have been coming down tighter and tighter on geoblocking new users over the past year. Did you sign up before they dropped the hammer?

They have been shutting down Australian PayPal and australian credit cards used to register and they been getting very effective at it of late it seems.

I have yet to sign up so I might pilot a Nord VPN and see how far I get and report back.

• Like 3

FWIW, you don't need a VPN to stream music - the VPN is only required to sign up.

As indicated at https://help.qobuz.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010260660-Where-is-Qobuz-available- "Once connected to your account, you can use Qobuz anywhere in the world."

I can confirm this, as I am currently making use of their trial, having created a US based account, and although I stream Qobuz via piCorePlayer mostly, I've also used their macOS app, and web player, none of which required the use of a VPN.

I'll wait and see whether my account remains active in a couple of weeks when the trial ends and they are due to draw funds from my PayPal account.

10 minutes ago, nbaker said:

FWIW, you don't need a VPN to stream music - the VPN is only required to sign up.

As indicated at https://help.qobuz.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010260660-Where-is-Qobuz-available- "Once connected to your account, you can use Qobuz anywhere in the world."

I can confirm this, as I am currently making use of their trial, having created a US based account, and although I stream Qobuz via piCorePlayer mostly, I've also used their macOS app, and web player, none of which required the use of a VPN.

I'll wait and see whether my account remains active in a couple of weeks when the trial ends and they are due to draw funds from my PayPal account.

My experience is that when I have the VPN active on the roon server on my computer Qobuz works.  Deactivate the VPN and Qubuz no longer works 

• Like 1