Qobuz Discussion Thread

Well that did not quite as well as expected for transferring tracks from Tidal to Qobuz.

I have a relatively small library, only 4,715 tracks in Tidal ... Soundiiz app found 4,415 tracks in Qobuz, leaving 300 not found. So, the success rate was about 93.6%, was hoping for better.

Hopefully it is just because the Qobuz service is newly coming on line & I'll run a batch migration again in Soundiiz  this weekend, hope it will have better success then.

Was able to export the results, and when I sorted what was not found, the two predominant artists who appear to be missing a lot of songs are: Eva Cassidy and Shelby Lynne (though I do have a lot of their songs).

Just went back into Roon and noticed than many of the Hi-res titles that have become available in the Qobuz app still aren't available in Roon/Qobuz.

So there may be some Roon server refresh required to play the added Hi-res content.

I've been using the Qobuz app and think it's pretty good - some things I prefer to Roon, but missing some Roon's features. Really nice looking GUI though. 

Have now cancelled my Tidal subscription and committed to Qobuz. See ya MQA!

• Like 4

Does the apps presence now on the respective platforms signify the official launch? I've not seen the usual fanfare that normally occurs with a launch

Edited by Niktech

5 hours ago, Tobes said:

Just went back into Roon and noticed than many of the Hi-res titles that have become available in the Qobuz app still aren't available in Roon/Qobuz.

So there may be some Roon server refresh required to play the added Hi-res content.

I've been using the Qobuz app and think it's pretty good - some things I prefer to Roon, but missing some Roon's features. Really nice looking GUI though. 

Have now cancelled my Tidal subscription and committed to Qobuz. See ya MQA!

It looks like the Hi Res content is gradually updating and becoming available via both the Qobuz app and via the Roon/Qobuz integration.

From the Best of 192 playlist which is still updating:

image.png.0128e134545fcd6b60fcbdd0b4bf03af.png

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Niktech said:

Does the apps presence now on the respective platforms signify the official launch? I've not seen the usual fanfare that normally occurs with a launch

Looks like it’s flopped over the finish line and is now laying there for all to subscribe. Nice interface, will do some more listening today. Buffering isn’t too bad. Lots of 96Khz albums and smaller but updating amount of 192.  

• Like 1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Niktech said:

The official "launch" is today in Sydney. I was going originally. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Marc said:

The official "launch" is today in Sydney. I was going originally. 

Wonder why rhey decided to snub the SNA ommunity, seems a strange way to kick things off.

3 hours ago, Higgsinspace said:

It’s launched here in AU officially, same price as Tidal.  I’ve been doing some A/B and Tidal still sounds marginally better across more genres to my ears. Benefits of smaller files sizes for cellular too.

Studio Premier is $5/mo cheaper than Tidal with the annual subscription.

I've been listening to Qobuz for 2 weeks and found it to sound better across the board than Tidal (talking 16/44 via Qobuz app). 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tobes said:

I've been listening to Qobuz for 2 weeks and found it to sound better across the board than Tidal (talking 16/44 via Qobuz app). 

With my relatively budget gear I also like the sound better across the board. Been on the U.S. catalog for a week and am hoping the placebo effect has worn off!

• Like 2

Listened to some more today including most of Eagles - Hotel California 40th anniversary edition in HR. It sounded good, but didn't wow me.

Overall I have the impression that some Tidal stuff sounds better but it's hard to compare unless you have both services simultaneously. I'm going off memory from months ago, but I just remember some of the stuff on Tidal wowing me.

I have Tidal now, but 2 years ago I also had Qobuz for a trial period, I couldn't hear much difference between the two, my system has had a few upgrades in the last two years so I will try the trial period again and compare. I also found that Tidal had more obscure Heavy Metal and Rock albums than Qobuz, I will be interested to see if that has changed.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

Listened to some more today including most of Eagles - Hotel California 40th anniversary edition in HR. It sounded good, but didn't wow me.

Overall I have the impression that some Tidal stuff sounds better but it's hard to compare unless you have both services simultaneously. I'm going off memory from months ago, but I just remember some of the stuff on Tidal wowing me.

The truth is that not many of these classic albums have what I'd call great sound. 24/192 isn't going to change that. The format resolution and S/N far outstrips the source material. 

It's ironic that some of the best SQ material on one of the Qobuz Hi-res rock playlists is in 16/44. Which is fine of course.

Listening to Supertramp's Crime of the Century in 24/192 at the moment - sounds pretty darn good for a 1974 rock album, as good as I've heard it.

I must admit I feel a bit like a kid in a candy store - so much fabulous hi-res music at my fingertips. 

• Like 2

I have both Tidal and Qobuz and yesterday have done quick comparison. I have picked two track (Chantal Chamberalnd - Temptation and Roger Waters - Three wishes), it seems to me that Tidal is slightly better, with voices clearer and stand more. Will try again tonight.

• Like 1

I think both Tidal and Qobuz are very good sounding.

In my setup Qobuz resolved more sense of space/atmosphere - particularly in sparse acoustic material - and had a bit more texture and focus. But if I was listening to Tidal in isolation I'd be more than satisfied.

For me the tipping points were more/better playlists and focus on the music I prefer, better GUI of  the Qobuz app and the native hi-res pcm instead of MQA (More Questions than Answers).

Oh, forgot to add, I'm a Neil Young fan so........

Edited by Tobes
  • Like 3

Im a Spotify fan for its overall usability.....but have had Qobuz over 12 months now and Tidal (through a friends family plan for longer). Premoninately I listen to metal.  Qobuz has upped its game on the metal library over the last 12 months considerably.

It reminds me alot of Tidal 18months or so ago where albums are in a bit of a hotch potch order (not via release date or chronological) and you'll find non metal artists with same name in metal bands library,  I am sure this is also relevant for other genres!!   Tidal was riddled with this and on occassion still is. ....

Still though, for the most part on Qobuz its all organised just lacking chronological order.   Most artists I am chasing are there and even some more obscure ones I wasnt expecting I found that Spotify/Tidal don't have.... 

Qobuz certainly doesnt flood you with Tidal like recommendations, it doesn't have artist or song radio, it doesnt have autoplay, it doesn't have a mix made of faves, they do have a few playlists nowadays including metal but not the depth of Spotify or even Tidal.  That that aside, I do like Qobuz and will stick with it as my system has componants that work better with Hi-Res as opposed to MQA - and I do have the BlueSound Node 2i which decodes MQA.  (I'll steer clear of MQA arguments and thoughts on Tidal altering EQ for increased bass etc as I've nothing to substantiate other than what I read.)

All in all for the above system componant compatiblity reasons, I use Qobuz more than Tidal but do I hear a difference? Not sure TBH  At 24/192 things do sound great, no question but at 16/44 I cannot honestly say.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, if your DAC works with Hi-Res why not use it to its intented design?  Thats what Qobuz allows me to with my DACs.  

Its probable streaming services could end up like discussions of speakers, amps, cartridges, DACs and phono stages or worse yet cables and powercables hahaha.  People will be drawn to what they interpret sounds best or has the best needs for them and their genre/s - which is the fundamental idea of a streaming service IMO anyway.  Not to drag this into a "VS" war either but mentioned above is some love for Deezer which I didnt take to at all a year or so ago.

This is why I still have Spotify premium family for on the go and in the car etc and Qobuz for sitting and listening.  I will always stand by the point that to me Spotify has the features, the library, the recommendations and the filing to embarrass the others - It will be interesting to see what happens when Spotify goes Hi-Fi or will people hate on it because its Spotify and not boutique?  Not sure.

I guess its watch this space but in the meantime its costing many interested people $0 to trial Qobuz and form an opinion which is great.

Having spent over a year with Qobuz I know it works well for me and I like what I hear.   I've had Spotify and Tidal for slightly longer with Deezer for a number of months inbetween. 

Bottom line is that they all work perfectly fine, maybe its a question of do you prefer Rosella tomato sauce or Masterfoods tomato sauce?!

• Like 8

A quick head to head with Tidal today and sonically I’m leaning towards  Qobuz, for my system it seems to be an improvement anyways and it was good fun to crank “The Plan” from the Tenet soundtrack again, Tidal dropped it a while back, that song damn near loads up my entire house with luscious juicy bass?

28 minutes ago, Tobes said:

So did the Qobuz AU launch event actually happen today?

Doesn't seem to be news of it anywhere, so I'm guessing not?

Marc posted earlier that it launched in Sydney today. Makes you wonder who attended...