Qobuz Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

4 hours ago, Bill125812 said:

using nord VPN for about 8 months now.

You only need VPN to sign up. Rest of the time you don’t need to be connected to VPN. 

And Just noticed you have the Primare. I was told by the primare tech that you can use the Qobuz app to stream to Primare via Chromecast at 24/192. Have you tried this? For those of us who don’t need roon, this is a blessing. 

Edited by BrownMagic
  • Like 1

On 31/01/2021 at 8:31 AM, Bill125812 said:

I’ve been listening to Qobuz through Roon, using nord VPN for about 8 months now.   Much prefer the sound quality over Tidal.  

@Bill125812 Interesting - me too,  as i'm finding the SQ on Quboz pips over the tidal versions as well.  Its there but its subtle.  

Edited by MrBurns84
  • Like 1

On 31/01/2021 at 8:03 AM, Marc said:

It was hinted at January and then delayed. Nothing has changed to my knowledge.

Be interesting to see when they do release qobuz here whether it will have any additional Australian Content.  I found Oz rock/pop a bit light in the UK one I am signed too.

Does anyone know if content between UK and US version varies or is it exactly the same?

On 07/03/2020 at 9:22 PM, Hydrology said:

You don’t even need to use a paid VPN service.

It can be done very easily using both the Hoxx and webRTC extensions for Chrome. Both are free. Payment via CC is fine, but PayPal will be geoblocked when paying for Qobuz (it was for me)

Hoxx allows you to choose your location, in this case, US. I just used a different email address to the one I signed up with last week to trial Qobuz.

Once it was up and running, I deleted the extensions from the Chrome browser.

This is how I did it last year with 100% success. Of course the goal posts may have changed since then. As @Marc has said numerous times, the official launch in Aus is imminent anyways

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Marc said:

You can't do it. It's been tested and proven countless times in this thread, that is unless of course you have a US-issued credit card.

I did it using nord. And I don’t have a US based CC 

I did use a debit card. Not a CC if that makes a difference 

• Like 1

FWIW, you don't need a VPN to stream music - the VPN is only required to sign up.

As indicated at https://help.qobuz.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010260660-Where-is-Qobuz-available- "Once connected to your account, you can use Qobuz anywhere in the world."

I can confirm this, as I am currently making use of their trial, having created a US based account, and although I stream Qobuz via piCorePlayer mostly, I've also used their macOS app, and web player, none of which required the use of a VPN.

I'll wait and see whether my account remains active in a couple of weeks when the trial ends and they are due to draw funds from my PayPal account.

10 minutes ago, nbaker said:

FWIW, you don't need a VPN to stream music - the VPN is only required to sign up.

As indicated at https://help.qobuz.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010260660-Where-is-Qobuz-available- "Once connected to your account, you can use Qobuz anywhere in the world."

I can confirm this, as I am currently making use of their trial, having created a US based account, and although I stream Qobuz via piCorePlayer mostly, I've also used their macOS app, and web player, none of which required the use of a VPN.

I'll wait and see whether my account remains active in a couple of weeks when the trial ends and they are due to draw funds from my PayPal account.

My experience is that when I have the VPN active on the roon server on my computer Qobuz works.  Deactivate the VPN and Qubuz no longer works 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bill125812 said:

Deactivate the VPN and Qubuz no longer works 

I signed up using VPN and a US credit card and never used VPN. It works like a charm. In fact we have a 6 person family plan so all 6 of us are using with no VPN. 

• Like 1

The key here though is when you signed up.

Qubuz has intensified it's crackdown on VPN use and of proxies. There are various methods for them to detect VPN's and proxies, such as Deep Packet Inspection, and monitoring server traffic assigned to suspect IP addresses.

Whilst they can't see the encrypted traffic, they do know a VPN is being used.

Edited by Niktech
Grammar
  • Like 1

OK, so I managed to crack this just now after some lateral thinking. 

Things you will need:

1. A VPN with an exit node in the USA. I used Private Internet Access.

2. A phone number in the USA.  I signed up with TextMe, picked an area code and signed up for a number for a week for $1.49 USD. (You might not need to pay, I just did to make life easier.)

Steps To Success:

Stage 1 get a Paypal US account):

1. With your VPN connected to a USA exit node, to go to PayPal.com and create an account
  2. It will want a US number to send the confirmation SMS to
  3. Launch TextMe and get a number assigned to you. You will need to pick an area code. For example "615"
  4. Write this number down
  5. Enter this number in the Paypal page as requested
  6. Go into Textme app and collect the verification number Paypal sent you
  7. Enter validation number from Textme in Paypal
  8. You'll need a street address too, preferably with the same area code as your phone number so try something like this: https://www.bestrandoms.com/random-california-address (615 above is California)

Well done. You now have a Paypal USA account.  Attach your credit card (Australian is fine) to the new Paypal account.

Stage 2: Get a Qobuz account

1. With your VPN still connected to a US based exit node, go to Qobuz website
  2. Create an account and sign up for payment with Paypal

Exit your VPN and you now have a Qobuz account that gets paid for with an Australian credit card via PayPal in the USA.

I'm listening away happily to Qobuz on Roon with my VPN disconnected right now, pulling a 24/192 stream.

image.png.c0a76c35d9b6ebd8eedfa2ab69f64f62.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Volunteer
12 minutes ago, BugPowderDust said:

A VPN with an exit node in the USA.

ok dumb question, when you say "exit node" in the USA does that simply mean that you tell the VPN to show your location as being in the USA (or does 'exit node" mean something else)?