Qobuz Discussion Thread

Success! After a couple of false starts I finally got onboard :)

I thought I could sign up by using my squid proxy in the US, and lo and behold, upon selecting the 1 month free trial it let me proceed to the payment page. Entering my AU credit card number put a swift stop to that. It showed me a list of countries from which it accepts credit cards...

Next, I tried PayPal, which after a few frustrating rounds of back and forth led me to believe that either this wasn't working at all (at least not with my browser), or there was some geo-blocking issue here, too.

Today I tried using a German credit card that we keep alive, just in case, and Qobuz accepted that! Thankfully, after successful account setup and subscription activation, I can eliminate the proxy from the equation and connect to Qobuz directly.

After a few hours of play I must say the catalogue looks a lot more substantial than Tidal's, especially where classical or off the beaten path music is concerned. The way it is presented (in Audirvana) is more useful, too. Consequently, I terminated my Tidal subscription since my 3 month free cheap trial was about to end anyway.

I'll play out the free trial month, but so far I'm liking it and may just keep paying for it.

1 hour ago, doogie44 said:

Fascinating.

May I ask:

1. What is a squid proxy?

2. Are you indirectly confirming that I (with no German credit card) have Buckley's chance of doing this? ☹️

Regards

A web proxy is a server that accepts your web requests, forwards them to the intended web sites, optionally caches, scans or filters the results, and returns them to your browser. Squid is an open-source and free implementation of a web proxy. When you use a web proxy to connect to a web site, the site sees the connection coming from the proxy's IP address and geo-location, instead of that of your web browser.

I'm sure other credit cards will work, too, just not Australian ones. Maybe Amex cards are different (not sure whether Qobuz accepts them).

11 hours ago, Steffen said:

A web proxy is a server that accepts your web requests, forwards them to the intended web sites, optionally caches, scans or filters the results, and returns them to your browser. Squid is an open-source and free implementation of a web proxy. When you use a web proxy to connect to a web site, the site sees the connection coming from the proxy's IP address and geo-location, instead of that of your web browser.

I someone could translate that to English I would be most appreciative. Don't have my Geek to English translator with me today.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, doogie44 said:

2. Are you indirectly confirming that I (with no German credit card) have Buckley's chance of doing this? 

I'm having no problem with PayPal and a Hotmail address. My browser, Firefox, has a VPN engaged, but I stream Qobuz through Roon now anyway, into my Aries G1.

OK, I decided it was time to have a go. 

Installed a Chrome extension VPN and went to QOBUZ and registered, nominating UK area. All went well until the final registration page--when they would not accept a London 'Zip'. Tried the whole process again with  a US address, Florida Zipcode, registered OK; then nominated the free trial for a month and failed at the Paypal payment screen [after nominating the Paypal-attached Credit Card (my VISA)].

This is the same story as everyone I have ever read about. You can't stop QOBUZ knowing that your credit card is based in Oz. Epic fail.

On the other hand my resident IT expert (son in law) says that if you have an internet  US address there IS a way to have a US credit card issued to you, even as a non-US resident. He is looking into that for me.

I don't hold out any high hopes.

Still listening to my LPs and CDs and FM in isolation. No worries

I washed my hands after posting so you can relax...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I been using Qobuz(EU) for many years, in the beginning to buy hi res downloads and then using their streaming service.

I use my Australian PayPal without any issues for payment.

Best music catalog, anything I search is available and to my ears best sounding streaming (I have tried Tidal and mqa)

Have noticed a steady and fast internet connection also matters in the audio quality.

You may need to connect via VPN initially when signing up and have a EU address handy.

The streaming works like a charm. I have a TEAC DAC that support Qobuz natively. Use my phone/iPad as a control device.

I logged in to QOBUZ again--and I find I am registered. The VPN showing USA did the job.

I went again to 'start free trial' and then to payment plan and then to the Paypal payment screen (a USA Paypal clearing agent for France it seems--called Xandrie USA); all was OK until the final screen: The Payment Has Failed.

So in 2020 can I assume that Paypal does NOT work? And that if you have been successful in the past it won't work now?

Anyone else tried recently?

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to have joined Qobuz early enough not to have an issue with PayPal and Aussie payment methods.

but I have been thinking of a work around for new users who want to sign up.  This may or may not work

It may be possible to get one of the virtual US credit/debit cards

1)  connect that to PayPal as primary payment method.
2)  Make first payment to Qobuz

3) switch payment method in PayPal back to your previous primary payment method.  If that works

4) get rid of the virtual card if that succeeds.

I had one of these virtual US debit/credit card a few years back and they took an amount each time you transferred money etc.  I assume they are still available?

Edited by Demondes

1 hour ago, Demondes said:

It may be possible to get one of the virtual US credit/debit cards

1)  connect that to PayPal as primary payment method.
2)  Make first payment to Qobuz

3) switch payment method in PayPal back to your previous primary payment method.  If that works

4) get rid of the virtual card if that succeeds.

Yes, this sounds right to me. Qobuz insists on a credit card at payment--and it must not be an Aussie one.

[There are more than a few users, from the past, paying Qobuz with Australian credit cards each month, and they don't seem to mind.]

I looked into that virtual card recently BUT fell over again as all the virtual cards I could find needed a USA address somewhere in the registration! Otherwise you are back to giving a USA social security number for a real card. 

There *might* be a better virtual card available? I am taking a breather as the whole business tired me out with everything else that's happening...

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/03/2020 at 1:17 PM, mpearce38 said:

You will need to use a VPN like Nord VPN (subscription based) this will allow you to connect to a server in another country (which supports Qobuz) - Warning This may be in breach of Qobuz terms of service.

Nord VPN is easy enough to use on PC but if connecting trough your streamer it will need to be configured thorough your internet router. This is not something you would attempt if you did not have a good understanding of these things

I did it awhile ago no real difference to Tidal except for the user interface. 

Is NordVPN really that great? I mean i've stumbled upon many reviews on websites that seems a little bit biased (take this one for example https://the-bestvpn.com/nordvpn-review-test/). Plus I've seen that they are apparently buying fake reviews on TrustPilot....

So i don't know if i should trust NordVPN (for Qobuz but also for watching US Netflix and so on) or not... Could you give me your personal experience apart from the fact that it is easy to use ?

I now do not think Qobuz is worth the effort and will stick with Tidal permanently.

If Qobuz can't support me now, I'm out for good.  I'm over trying workarounds. 

• Like 1

• Administrator

It's near impossible to get on Qobuz today unless you have a US or relevant country issued credit card for payment.

VPN alone will get you through the registration page, but not through the payment process even with Paypal.

Virtual Credit Card programs have all but been shut down, or are closed to new registrations due to increasing scrutiny and regulation.

The only way I can think of is if you know someone who is already on Qobuz, they can "gift" you a membership from within the app/website, using their already approved payment method and then you can reimburse them.

• Like 2

Interesting that WhatHIFI (March 2020) only gave Qobuz 3 stars and stated that Tidal is better for Hires, i don't think there is much daylight between the 2 services.  Personally I have used both and don't think you can clearly state one sounds substantially better than the other.  I have seen others state they prefer Qobuz SQ over Tidal. 

It really comes down to choice of catalog, of which i preferred Qobuz over Tidal. 

https://www.whathifi.com/au/qobuz/review

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Demondes said:

don't think you can clearly state one sounds substantially better than the other

I can. To my ears, in my system, Qobuz sounds more organic and closer to CD Quality than TIDAL, and particularly lately where I've felt TIDAL felt even more compressed even if they state it is not.

'Substantial' - well that's subjective I guess. To me, any discernible improvement when you are chasing the best sound quality is substantial enough :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Its funny, nearly a year ago, using my VPN (PIA) i used to sign up with various emails and enjoy a free trial for months.

Eventually, once they released their cheap US pricing (like 15USD/month) they started checking the payment methods.

So I have another 4 accounts that i don't use while people are struggling to get one that works.

Tidal is DSPed and coloured, the switch to Qobuz is about as substantial as a component upgrade.

Edited by Gabehcuod

On 08/05/2020 at 8:25 AM, Marc said:

It's near impossible to get on Qobuz today unless you have a US or relevant country issued credit card for payment.

VPN alone will get you through the registration page, but not through the payment process even with Paypal.

Virtual Credit Card programs have all but been shut down, or are closed to new registrations due to increasing scrutiny and regulation.

The only way I can think of is if you know someone who is already on Qobuz, they can "gift" you a membership from within the app/website, using their already approved payment method and then you can reimburse them.

Start gifting me boss man ??

• 1 month later...

For me, registered ok using ExpressVPN, but fell over at PayPal payment. Tried VPN servers in US, UK and Germany, but PayPal seems to be the thing, also tried straight Amex, no luck. Let’s face it, DRM sucks when there is no DRM in Australia. Bit like hirez downloads, but at least that can work.