So.. in 2007/08... as a collector of vintage guitars, VERY early Teles and Strats were going for USD $40-$100k... By 2011, the same guitars were at USD $4-$10k (as were houses that were >$1m being sold for $10k).

A few big collections appear to be being sold off, and I’ve considered the same... if There is another one (excluding the general ignorance of AU collectors who were telling US ppl to ‘suck it up’ at the time, while simultaneously being unable to sell anything):

Are Aussies ready for a big correction? What happens if US peeps start selling RL LZii’s for $25?

Just a few musings...

Edited by furtherpale

basses are my thing,

have a travis bean tb2000,from new

the prices in the us are out of hand at the moment ,but here in au ,

lucky to sell 1 at less than 1/2,

ive been picking some early 80's basses fender,

quite cheap ,as they may well be the next ones to go up in price,

the avri's from that 82 to 84 period are very well made,(jazz bass have neck issues)

got a 57 and looking for a 62 reissue,

do you know about the buddy holly strat in Melbourne ?

6 minutes ago, colinm1 said:

basses are my thing,

have a travis bean tb2000,from new

the prices in the us are out of hand at the moment ,but here in au ,

lucky to sell 1 at less than 1/2,

ive been picking some early 80's basses fender,

quite cheap ,as they may well be the next ones to go up in price,

the avri's from that 82 to 84 period are very well made,(jazz bass have neck issues)

got a 57 and looking for a 62 reissue,

do you know about the buddy holly strat in Melbourne ?

I din’t know about the Holly strat... but I now wish I could short vinyl and guitars!

1 hour ago, furtherpale said:

So.. in 2007/08... as a collector of vintage guitars, VERY early Teles and Strats were going for USD $40-$100k... By 2011, the same guitars were at USD $4-$10k

I'm interested to know what caused this correction!  :)

1 hour ago, furtherpale said:

What happens if US peeps start selling RL LZii’s for $25?

WTF's an 'RL LZii '?

Andy

6 minutes ago, andyr said:

I'm interested to know what caused this correction!  :)

The GFC (for a ‘consumer friendly’ version, watch “The Big Short”.).

6 minutes ago, andyr said:

WTF's an 'RL LZii '?

Andy

Robert Ludwig mastered version of Led Zeppelin II - about $1k - $2k for a NM pressing.

Global economy, so a positional good in a global marketplace is unconcerned for regional conditions.

Edited by furtherpale

1 minute ago, furtherpale said:

The GFC

Robert Ludwig mastered version of Led Zeppelin II.

Aah, thanks, fp.  :thumb:

I'd be interested in a comparison (to early Teles and Strats) of the price of say, collectable Ferraris 2007/8 vs. 2011.  :)

Andy

7 hours ago, andyr said:

Aah, thanks, fp.  :thumb:

I'd be interested in a comparison (to early Teles and Strats) of the price of say, collectable Ferraris 2007/8 vs. 2011.  :)

Andy

That’s an incredibly complex comparative (not to mention the differing effects of the luxury v. Ultra-luxury market, value propositions etc.) to make.

The GFC was the largest transfer of wealth from the poor to the rich in history, but there was a crossover point in value of goods/purchasing power unbeknownst to most: ie ultra-luxury goods increased in value during the GFC - eg a $1m house may have tanked in value while a $50m house down the road may have increased in value in the same period.

Another practical example:

Let’s assume your have $1b invested in assets with bank X that generate revenue.

The GFC hits.

Your assets (via the bank) hit $0... you’re bankrupt.

The government, with taxpayer’s (poor people - we don’t pay tax), pays out your $1b to keep you afloat, but you keep the asset... score!!!!).

Edited by furtherpale
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, furtherpale said:

Are Aussies ready for a big correction?

I reckon we're already experiencing a correction across a variety of 'collectable' markets, and the slide will continue.

The demographic who have typically done the 'collecting' and pushed prices up are the ones who grew up with the collectables and have an emotional attachment to them. The younger generations often don't have the same emotional attachment (nor such deep pockets!) so demand and prices are falling (perhaps apart from ultra-rare items used by celebs and the like). 

IMHO something is only valuable or collectable because of what it 'means' to someone. If that meaning/context/relevance is lost over time and there is a narrower pool of potential owners, it stands to reason that the value drops.

• Like 1