FS or Swap Marantz 8801 11.2 Channel Pre- Amp

Price: $1000
Item Condition: Excellent
Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.
Suburb or Town: Sutherland Shire
State: New South Wales
Payment Method: EFT or Cash on Pickup or swap
Reason for selling: Upgrading

Further information: This pre-amp / processor requires very little introduction. Was Marantz flagship processor and supports the recent codec, such as DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD. Has the ability to map height or width channels however it doesn't support the latest Atmos, Auto & DTS-X object sounds. 

I have the original box and Auddessy mic, remote is working, but isn't perfect, however I have always controlled the unit via Marantz App.

Will serve someone looking for a great experience with surround / 2 channel sound not looking to move into the new object audio.

Note supports both XLR and RCA connectivity which can be mixed based on your configuration. Also offers 2 channels for subwoofer connections and eq.

I do have the original box, but would prefer not to ship it.

While I have requested $1200 I would also be open to a straight swap for a panasonic DP-UB9000 4K player

Photos:

20200306_153846.jpg

20200306_153818.jpg

20200306_153631.jpg

Edited by Battler009
PRICE DROP
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, caminperth said:

Does this unit do 4K?

The Marantz AV8801 is not HDCP 2.2-compliant, and therefore will not support copy-protected 4K video content. Its HDMI is version 1.4a

The Marantz AV8802A is HDCP 2.2-compliant and does support copy-protected 4K video content

Edited by bizzibee

26 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

Any idea how Foxtel IQ4/ 4K works? Will that work with this?

From Foxtel:

To watch Foxtel’s Ultra HD channels, you’ll need:

• an iQ4 box
    Note: iQ4’s are only available on our satellite platform.
  • an eligible package (see What packages are the Ultra HD channels in? above)
  • a HDMI 2.0 cable (included with your iQ4)
  • a compatible 4K TV that is HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 compliant and supports UHD resolution (3840x2160 at 50Hz).

So I would suggest HDMI from the Foxtel iq4 would go direct to your 4k Tv and the optical out would go to the Marantz

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Battler009 said:

From Foxtel:

To watch Foxtel’s Ultra HD channels, you’ll need:

• an iQ4 box
    Note: iQ4’s are only available on our satellite platform.
  • an eligible package (see What packages are the Ultra HD channels in? above)
  • a HDMI 2.0 cable (included with your iQ4)
  • a compatible 4K TV that is HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 compliant and supports UHD resolution (3840x2160 at 50Hz).

So I would suggest HDMI from the Foxtel iq4 would go direct to your 4k Tv and the optical out would go to the Marantz

It really sucks that they kept changing HDMI revisions / HDCP crap. Screwed a lot of people over. I have been thinking of going to foxtel 4k and upgrading my PJ to 4k but looks like i will need to buy a fairly new amp as well then :(

Edited by lonewolf

It is a great amp, but yes is prior to the latest 4k standards, there a ways around it, but won't suit everyone. It was frustrating to most owners at the time as Marantz didn't offer a HDMI upgrade as the standard evolved.

I would keep it in a second system, but I'm only running surround sound in my theatre so I'd rather let someone else get the benefit of this beast 

• Like 1

Having compared 2ch CD players on it one can say these as marantz flagship of time are actually quite decent 2ch analog wise ... decent power supply dac analog implementation decent pre are all things contribute to very decent result. Be a few dedicated analog pres would better I’d suggest and for many wanting combined 2ch/av one box pre dac if looking that sort of thing and don’t need current hdmi 3D audio etc

On 06/03/2020 at 11:23 PM, bizzibee said:

The Marantz AV8801 is not HDCP 2.2-compliant, and therefore will not support copy-protected 4K video content. Its HDMI is version 1.4a

The Marantz AV8802A is HDCP 2.2-compliant and does support copy-protected 4K video content

Purchasing a HDFury AVR Key 18Gbps (which would route Video to 4K Display and Audio to the Marantz Pr/Pro), for $275 would overcome the 4K limitations of this Marantz Pre/Pro. See:

https://www.ezyhd.com.au/shop/hdfure-avrkey/

The HDFury AVR Key 18Gbps was built specifically for this situation. See:

https://www.hdfury.com/product/avr-key/

If you need support for multiple 4K sources, you could purchased say a HDMI Switcher that supported 4k@60Hz + HDR such as this one for $69.50:

https://www.ezyhd.com.au/shop/hdmi-switcher-4k60-hz-hdr/

Then plug all sources into the HDMI Switcher, with the Switcher output going to the  supplied HDFury AVR Key 18Gbps (which would route Video to 4K Display and Audio to the Marantz Pre/Pro). You would have a very workable solution for using multiple 4K sources .

Anyway GLWS.

Edited by bizzibee

8 hours ago, bizzibee said:

Purchasing a HDFury AVR Key 18Gbps (which would route Video to 4K Display and Audio to the Marantz Pr/Pro), for $275 would overcome the 4K limitations of this Marantz Pre/Pro. See:

https://www.ezyhd.com.au/shop/hdfure-avrkey/

The HDFury AVR Key 18Gbps was built specifically for this situation. See:

https://www.hdfury.com/product/avr-key/

If you need support for multiple 4K sources, you could purchased say a HDMI Switcher that supported 4k@60Hz + HDR such as this one for $69.50:

https://www.ezyhd.com.au/shop/hdmi-switcher-4k60-hz-hdr/

Then plug all sources into the HDMI Switcher, with the Switcher output going to the  supplied HDFury AVR Key 18Gbps (which would route Video to 4K Display and Audio to the Integra DHC 9.9). You would have a very workable solution for using multiple 4K sources .

Anyway GLWS.

Thanks for giving perspective buyers options. Considering the 8805 is going for around $7k and I'd expect a price rise coming with the Aussie Dollar dropping, this is a good option / price for those that don't have a need for Atmos / DTS-X audio. If anyone wants this interstate I do have the original box, but not a double box,. I am happy to help drop it to a courier or allow a courier pick-up, and the shipping would be at the purchases cost / risk and will need payment via EFT ahead of release.

19 hours ago, Battler009 said:

Thanks for giving perspective buyers options. Considering the 8805 is going for around $7k..

You're more that welcome. This is a great opportunity for someone to get a quality Marantz Pre/Pro for little money if they don't need Atmos / DTS-X audio. The 4K UHD issue is covered with the HDFury AVR Key 18Gbps. If more than one 4K UHD input is required, then a 4K UHD HDR HDMI Switcher will cover this as well.