Sign in to follow this  
rayone

Titan Theia Center Speaker - mini review

Posted (edited)

TLDR; it is just OK, nothing more.

TL;
I’ve been on the lookout for a replacement center speaker since replacing my fronts, which have a much warmer timbre. This may seem like a relatively straight forward endeavour, buy from the same series, however I had a number of constraints.
1.- It couldn’t be more than 56cm wide.
2.- It had to have a wide soundstage, as it’s for the 120” screen.
3.- It had to be warm and not rear ported, to fit in the cabinet.

Previously I had been using for over a decade a pair of AudioEngine P4’s, connected in series and laid on their sides, which surprised me how well my experiment actually worked. They had a wide soundstage convincing voice reproduction, and generally superior audio to a lot of other centers I tried.

I finally stumbled on the Theia by Earthquake Sound, (https://earthquakesound.com/index.php/en/component/zoo/item/theia). There are no professional reviews, nothing in forums w/ the sole references from three amazon reviews.
I liked the design concept, they looked fairly good quality and Earthquake Sound’s other Titan speakers got positive feedback, and I guess they're reassuringly expensive.

I emailed the manufacturer, to ask about enclosed placement and actual measurements bcos they claim 49cm everywhere, but the manual also states 62cm… I received no reply, but the 10” passive radiator curiosity convinced me to part w/ my $.

It arrived in a couple of days and sure enough the long side was 62cm and the narrow 49cm, which required my jigsaw to leave the speaker in situ.

Capture.JPG.98196c107389ec823891a01b7a9a379d.JPGCapture1.thumb.JPG.d9b2e6fc0903c7f4c4d5364885eaf38e.JPGCapture2.JPG.cced8a11a5af7b74d9dd3601acaf9045.JPGCapture3.thumb.JPG.6b941cb406ec5e533f6b73c951179cfe.JPG

Fit and finish: Poor, cheap Chinese manufacturing. The front grill broke while trying to remove it, the black lacquered finish has rotary buffing marks and it looks like putty has been used between the front mdf panels.

Sound: They measure ~OK, but I’m hearing lows and high mids more than anything, the range of the 4” Kevlar cones + Piston-Max isn’t as great as I’ve come to expect. I guess you could argue that’s a product of a 2 way speaker. I could counter that the 10” could be classified as a pseudo woofer… but I’d be wrong.
Some info on the SLAPS: http://www.earthquakesound.eu/car-audio/slaps-passive-radiators/slaps-10.aspx

Soundstage: This is my biggest gripe, horizontally quite wide, but vertically narrow, so now the center is very localized and much lower than the source image. I’ve angled the speaker to point directly at me, but still sounds like it’s coming from below the image.

Score: 5/10, they sound marginally better than the P4’s, but cost 4x.

Measurements from 3 places front (green) /centre (black) /rear (pink) of listening position. Given they’re 3.2m~4.4m from the speaker, my room has a large influence.

measure.thumb.jpg.63833ab93426e5b89b036c89a4108ea1.jpg

Edited by rayone
Typos

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Dazznor
      Item Condition: New Shipping Options: Pickup is available,Audition is not available, but in-person pickup can be arranged with limited personal contact,I can ship this item Suburb or Town: New Farm State: Queensland Payment Method: Paypal, EFT, Cash Reason for selling: Made the stands for the purpose of selling Solidly welded from heavy 14 gauge steel to provide strength and excellent acoustic characteristics. The side vertical beam has been welded for neatness and strength while others variations do not.

Dimensions: Top platform 15.25" w x 13" d, front height 8", Tilt 5°.

I've made these for the JBL L100 but I believe they also correct Klipsch Heresey 4 and others. Check with above dimensions first.

Powder coated in satin black.

M6 Nuteserts in the base for attaching additional items for advanced acoustic isolation. (Gaia III shown in picture, not included in sale of item ).

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By anthony vinyl
      Item Condition: very good Shipping Options: Pickup is available Suburb or Town: woodford State: New South Wales Payment Method: all Reason for selling: too big for bedroom bruce edgar 'show' horn speaker with altec 511 horns /909 16A compression driver
      Extra Info: very rare bruce edgar designed horn as detailed in sound practices magazine.  bruce Edgar was super famous horn designer - an aeronautical engineer who i think designed the tractix horns.  very open and spacious bass that gives a life like presentation - sound very wide and deep . HF driver is altec 909 16 which has adjustable attenuation . Altec 511 horns as used on A5 VOTT ? please note these are very large . bass cab is 1080H X 800W X 600D. the cabinets are in very good condition overall except for chip as shown and some minor blemishes. very solid and very heavy - excellent workmanship and build quality . HF driver and surround 300H X 600W X500D . for the article please read http://volvotreter.de/downloads/Edgar-Show-Horn.pdf or simply type in bruce Edgar show horn into your search engine. These horns can easily be run with small amps - they are about 103 dB ! They have a huge soundstage

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By NADbooffa
      Price: $390 Item Condition: 9.5/10 Used but immaculate Shipping Options: Pickup is available,Audition is not available, but in-person pickup can be arranged with limited personal contact,I can ship this item Suburb or Town: Vermont 3133 State: Victoria Payment Method: Cash on Pick Up, Paypal (buyer to pay the fees), EFT Reason for selling: NLR Further information: 
      Original Naim NAC A5  loudspeaker cable for sale - Very clean and immaculate condition.
      Consisting of two separated 4mm2 (squared) conductors and banana plugs on speaker end.
      3.5 metres length

Can be posted - buyer to pay extra for packaging/postage with tracking info.

Photos: 

• By peppy
      Price: $580 Item Condition: USED Shipping Options: Pickup is available,Audition is not available, but in-person pickup can be arranged with limited personal contact Suburb or Town: Castle Hill State: New South Wales Payment Method: Any Reason for selling: This room a part of Zone2 in HT that I setup , so this item became redundant Further information: Near new condition. In warranty until 2022. This is the latest HS2 version of this speaker.
      Big sound, it replaced my SONOS Play 5

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By Rup
      Best music for speaker placement and best speaker placement tutorial???

Having acquired a pair of Harbeth P3ESR speakers I'm having fun looking for the ultimate speaker placement. 

I have downloaded
      The Visual Sound the Sound Liaison DXD Music Sampler 
      as it was recommended to me as being a great speaker placement tool.
       (Using the coupon code “XFI2019” you can download the 352DXD for $16 or the 24/ 96 files for $8.)
      Especially the phase coherent One Microphone recordings on the sampler seems excellent for that purpose: 
        Carmen Gomes inc. One Mic Recording Session       

https://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/536-sound-liaison-dxd-music-sampler 

On the net i.e.  youtube, there are a great number of tutorials in speaker placement. 
       Any of these you would especially recommend?
                                                                     https://www.harbeth.co.uk/speakers/userguide.php