Using the Dr Feickert Protractor NG to align mc cartridge in Brinkmann arm

I have just received the above Protractor and it looks well made. This is the first time I have used a precision device.

I am trying to accurately align my Brinkmann 10.5 arm with a Kiseki Agate mc cartridge (La Grange turntable)

I have found the instructions ambiguous to say the least and ended up with a confusing result.

I am following the Baerwald markings as a starting point and starting the process by accurately setting the effective arm length to 244mm using the Protractor markings

1.  I set the arm to the recommended 244mm distance recommended by Brinkmann - easily accomplished by simply rotating the arm base.

2.  I use position 1 as directed in the instructions to accurately set overhang by adjusting the cartridge position using the head shell slots - so far so good.

3.  I remove the Protractor anchor pin as implied in the instructions and rotate the record to select the outer position 2 with cartridge stylus aligned to the Baerwald  markings 

4. BUT When I check the inner position 3 for Baerwald,   I find the stylus is about 3mm short of the correct position.   I made sure the platter didn’t move.

5.  There is no further adjustment in the head shell slots to improve the result at position 3.

Do I have to change the arm length and repeat the process to overcome the limited adjustment in the head shell?

You are not checking overhang at Step 3 just alignment.

After Step 2 go I always go back to Step 1 before Step 3 to ensure I haven’t mucked up overhang. 

They are all related. Make sense?

Guest 12ax7b

4. BUT When I check the inner position 3 for Baerwald,   I find the stylus is about 3mm short of the correct position.   I made sure the platter didn’t move.

After setting the overhang in step 1, you move the stylus to the dot "B" in step 2 and make sure the cartridge is parallel to the lines, this requires moving the platter, placing the stylus on dot B and then twisting the cartridge to ensure it is parallel to the lines running lengthwise under the cartridge whilst not moving the stylus off the dot..

The mistake you are making is that when you go to step 3, you move the platter again to put the stylus on the dot "B" at step 3 and check for parallellity to the marked lines.

Steps 2 and 3 are checking for parallelity to the lines, not overhang. If you have got the overhang correct at step 1 and got the cartridge parallel to the lines at step 2, then step 3 should automatically be parallel as well (assuming you have moved the platter to put the stylus on the dot..

I have many protractors including the Feickert and find it easy to use, and accurate if you follow the instructions carefully. 

Edited by 12ax7b

13 hours ago, warmtone said:

I have just received the above Protractor and it looks well made. This is the first time I have used a precision device.

I am trying to accurately align my Brinkmann 10.5 arm with a Kiseki Agate mc cartridge (La Grange turntable)

I have found the instructions ambiguous to say the least and ended up with a confusing result.

I am following the Baerwald markings as a starting point and starting the process by accurately setting the effective arm length to 244mm using the Protractor markings

1.  I set the arm to the recommended 244mm distance recommended by Brinkmann - easily accomplished by simply rotating the arm base.

2.  I use position 1 as directed in the instructions to accurately set overhang by adjusting the cartridge position using the head shell slots - so far so good.

3.  I remove the Protractor anchor pin as implied in the instructions and rotate the record to select the outer position 2 with cartridge stylus aligned to the Baerwald  markings 

5.  There is no further adjustment in the head shell slots to improve the result at position 3.

Do I have to change the arm length and repeat the process to overcome the limited adjustment in the head shell?

Is your P2S correct for starters? The effective length is the P2S plus the overhang.

12 hours ago, 12ax7b said:

After setting the overhang in step 1, you move the stylus to the dot "B" in step 2 and make sure the cartridge is parallel to the lines, this requires moving the platter, placing the stylus on dot B and then twisting the cartridge to ensure it is parallel to the lines running lengthwise under the cartridge whilst not moving the stylus off the dot..

The mistake you are making is that when you go to step 3, you move the platter again to put the stylus on the dot "B" at step 3 and check for parallellity to the marked lines.

Steps 2 and 3 are checking for parallelity to the lines, not overhang. If you have got the overhang correct at step 1 and got the cartridge parallel to the lines at step 2, then step 3 should automatically be parallel as well (assuming you have moved the platter to put the stylus on the dot..

I have many protractors including the Feickert and find it easy to use, and accurate if you follow the instructions carefully. 

The only thing I would add here is that the OP should be aligning the cantilever, not the body of the cartridge.

Cheers Keith

Edited by cheekyboy

Guest 12ax7b

The only thing I would add here is that the OP should be aligning the cantilever, not the body of the cartridge.

Yes I agree,

In my case, I refuse to use cartridges where the cantilver is not dead straight in the body, simply because my record collection is worth far more than any cartridge and I take no risks.

Hello @warmtone, I use a Brinkmann 10.5 arm and I had to check the P2S myself and it is 244 mm. This measurement is not the effective length.

Drop me a PM and I’m happy to help you set up this tonearm. I have owned a Dr Feickert Next Gen protractor and I’m familiar with its use.

Cheers Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 12ax7b said:

First of all thanks for the now clear instructions! 

First comment is that my Feickert NG Protractor purchased from Decibel HI Fi this week does not have the same markings as the illustration in the  provided Feickert instructions!   Not a good start.

It has an extra tangential line for Steps 2 and 3 - but no explanation of which intersect should be used to locate the stylus point.   This is further  complicated by no dots to specify which intersect to use.  

Clearly some ambiguity here for people unfamiliar with the process.   

I will post a photo to illustrate my point tonight and also have another go.

Thanks !

9 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

Hello @warmtone, I use a Brinkmann 10.5 arm and I had to check the P2S myself and it is 244 mm. This measurement is not the effective length.

Drop me a PM and I’m happy to help you set up this tonearm. I have owned a Dr Feickert Next Gen protractor and I’m familiar with its use.

Cheers Keith

Thanks,  I will take up your kind offer.

Im a bit clearer post feedback from 12ax7b - see my comments above!

Edited by warmtone

32 minutes ago, warmtone said:

Thanks,  I will take up your kind offer.

Im a bit clearer post feedback from 12ax7b - see my comments above!

Yes, I've read those comments and mostly agree with the advice given, but you should be using the cantilever to do the alignment, not the body of the cartridge. Also, your effective length is not 244 mm, but rather is that measurement plus the overhang, so the effective length should be closer to 260 mm.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy

4 hours ago, cheekyboy said:

Cheers Keith

Hi Keith you are correct - my mistake wrong description.  I did mean  Pivot to Spindle distance - Not effective length.

This is what I measured on the Feickert NG calibrated beam to set Position 1.

Edited by warmtone