WILSON BENESCH TORUS INFRASONIC GENERATOR & AMP

Price: $7500
Item Condition: Virtually as new with all original packaging & accessories
Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Pickup available and you can audition.
Suburb or Town: Ivanhoe East
State: Victoria
Payment Method: Cash, Bank Transfer or Paypal
Reason for selling: Have 2 but can only justify keeping 1

Further information: Definitely the world's most unique "subwoofer" system (for want of a better word) and consistently reviewed as the most accurate at any price. No other manufacturer can copy the patented design, even if they had the materials technology to try - which they don't. Having lived with a Torus for some time now, I couldn't imagine being without at least one. Having enjoyed RELs and JL Audio previously, this is in another league in terms of extension, definition, speed and control. Its ability to integrate with the highest quality main speakers when set up properly with matching amplifier and crossover controls adds presence, soundstage depth and ambience, timing and even midrange richness. This is not for those seeking a large boombox - it's not particularly large, although extremely heavy - it's for serious listeners seeking more realistic and complete reproduction from their existing speakers, whatever their size and price! The Torus places an 18" upward firing, ultra-stiff, lightweight, multi-axial carbon fibre cone at the end of a phenomenally powerful push-pull motor. Frequency response is quoted as 10-150Hz. The bipolar (not Class D!) control amplifier accepts line level (RCA & XLR) or speaker level inputs, so can be connected to any existing amplifier.

Because the design is revolutionary and completely resolved from the ground upwards, winning awards every year, it is unlikely to change. This is a current model with RRP over $15K and rising with the fall in our dollar. At less than half new price and as good as new condition, it's a component that should interest any dedicated audiophile with the funds. Original cartons means that safe shipping at buyer's expense is an option. Local buyers are welcome to an audition and can choose between the Torus I've used for a while and the one I've recently connected for the sale. Donation to SNA on sale.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

IMG_2729.JPG

IMG_2730.JPG

IMG_2731.JPG

IMG_2725.JPG

IMG_2728.JPG

IMG_2726.JPG

IMG_2724.JPG

IMG_2722.JPG

IMG_2720.JPG

IMG_2718.JPG

IMG_2719.JPG

IMG_2746.JPG

IMG_2715.JPG

IMG_2716.JPG

Edited by Audionerd
Added donation
  • Like 5

It's really hard to make sense of the specs on this fascinating driver. The website says the sensitivity is 100dB but the actual manual says the maximum SPL is 100dB. Are there any independent measurements that you know of for this bad boy showing SPL? I'm interested.

As you've noted, the manual states a maximum SPL of 100dB.  However, there is no mention of sensitivity in the manual. This is hardly surprising, because although the Torus woofer can be bought separately from the amp, any sensible person would be using the electronics that were specifically designed for the woofer. That being the case, all one really needs to know is that there is sufficient gain for the amp to drive the woofer to the limits of its capability. In my experience, the low level gain setting has never needed to exceed 12 o'clock, so I can't imagine a situation where the woofer's sensitivity was an issue. Nevertheless, it might be nice for the sake of intellectual curiosity to get a correct specification instead of an obvious typo on their website.

• Like 1