Region Free Blu Ray Players

8 hours ago, petetherock said:

My review :)

In summary, simple to use, cheap to acquire. Get for lonely covid nights :)

Nice!

So the disc needs to be open for the change? Also, why the note on quick start? Angel you turn it off?

8 minutes ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

I blush.  Thank you for the link.

Is the Laser brand adequate?

The last cheapie DVD player I bought, failed 12 months and 1 week after purchase. :(

i know some who have used their "laser" for years.... yes its a cheapie.. its pretty carp.... and yes its go no build to speak off but does the job..... as a 2nd player region free jobbie.... and thats how most use it as a 2nd player.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for 220-electronics.

I got Sony S790 w/region free some 5 years ago. I was tossing up between OPPO 103/105 and the S790 and decided for Sony. Less than half the cost of Oppo 103 and at the time had more streaming options than the Oppos (which is a bit of a moot point as they're all much the same). S790 is not as heftily built as Oppo. Love the sound and picture. Even the upscalling to 4K (at 24fps) looks great for the movies, but I mostly keep it at 1080p/24fps.

Region free works by opening the disk tray, pressing one of the yellow, red or blue button that corresponds to the region you want to use......close the tray and done.

edit: just to add - super impressed with the analogue audio out (RCAs). It edges out the the already excellent HDMI audio. I've never heard any OPPO player, but it wouldn't surprise me if S790 was on par

Edited by zippi
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

19 minutes ago, YippeKiYay said:

Are there any 4K players that can play blu-rays from all regions?  I do have a region free BR player, but would love to just have the one device that plays UHD and my Region A locked blus. 

I just ordered a Sony 1100ES, you get it off Amazon (the seller also sells from their own site) Bombay Electronics...

They also sell the X800MK I or II

Will do a review in due course :)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, petetherock said:

I just ordered a Sony 1100ES, you get it off Amazon (the seller also sells from their own site) Bombay Electronics...

They also sell the X800MK I or II

Will do a review in due course :)

I'll wait for your review before I order one for myself.

I region modded my Sony UBP-800 (main 4K unit in the lounge) and BDP-S3500 (secondary player elsewhere in the house) with kits from Rattlebyte. If you’re handy with a soldering iron and used to wiring to small ICs it’s not that hard, but the postage delays at the moment would be pretty brutal if you wanted something in quickly. I’m slow/methodical with the iron so I probably spent an hour including disassembly/reassembly, maybe a little more depending on how anally retentive I was being with cable management or swearing at the player when pulling it apart.

Once modded all DVDs are region free out of the box, for changing Blu-Ray regions you power off the player then press one of the coloured buttons on the remote to wake it up to push it into regions A, B or C.

Have been using both for a while now with no issues (using Australian and US BRDs). The BDP-S3500 is a little buggy sometimes and needs a hard power-off, but that’s more to do with the most recent firmware and I’ve been too lazy to roll it back.

6 hours ago, MangledLeg said:

I region modded my Sony UBP-800 (main 4K unit in the lounge) and BDP-S3500 (secondary player elsewhere in the house) with kits from Rattlebyte. If you’re handy with a soldering iron and used to wiring to small ICs it’s not that hard, but the postage delays at the moment would be pretty brutal if you wanted something in quickly. I’m slow/methodical with the iron so I probably spent an hour including disassembly/reassembly, maybe a little more depending on how anally retentive I was being with cable management or swearing at the player when pulling it apart.

Once modded all DVDs are region free out of the box, for changing Blu-Ray regions you power off the player then press one of the coloured buttons on the remote to wake it up to push it into regions A, B or C.

Have been using both for a while now with no issues (using Australian and US BRDs). The BDP-S3500 is a little buggy sometimes and needs a hard power-off, but that’s more to do with the most recent firmware and I’ve been too lazy to roll it back.

I'd probably destroy the machine if I tried this. But thanks for the heads up. 

• Like 1

If you are wanting Dolby Vision, there are a few. Gattiweb sell them. I think the Sony UDP-X800M2 is probably the best value high end one.

If you have an oppo or can get one, you can get mods for those too./

22 hours ago, MangledLeg said:

IIRC, the 3500 (or the whole x500 series had some issues with the bitstream output, that's why I sold my 6500 years back.. 

11 minutes ago, petetherock said:

IIRC, the 3500 (or the whole x500 series had some issues with the bitstream output, that's why I sold my 6500 years back.. 

Good to know - I’m not using mine in the lounge anymore so it’s hooked up to a pretty bog-standard panel in another room, but if I want to migrate into a more full-featured setup will look at replacing it with something else!

• 2 weeks later...

Having owned the X800, X700, I'll share more after a proper review, but yes there are differences.

Unboxed yesterday and

- build is sweet, the remote still sucks, but sucks less. Tactile feel has gone up

- the drive drawer is better and more quiet

- hefty piece of gear

- the DACs is not bad at all! the AKM 4458 is pretty impressive on a quick listen

- region change is quick and very simple

• Like 1

On 12/06/2020 at 8:35 AM, petetherock said:

Having owned the X800, X700, I'll share more after a proper review, but yes there are differences.

Unboxed yesterday and

- build is sweet, the remote still sucks, but sucks less. Tactile feel has gone up

- the drive drawer is better and more quiet

- hefty piece of gear

- the DACs is not bad at all! the AKM 4458 is pretty impressive on a quick listen

- region change is quick and very simple

So the player is region free for Blu-Rays out of the box, or do you need an add-on?

33 minutes ago, YippeKiYay said:

So the player is region free for Blu-Rays out of the box, or do you need an add-on?

If you get it from 220-electronics (Chicago) and perhaps few other places too - Region Free is an available configuration / added feature. This obviously increases the price by some $100, but well worth it.

Edited by zippi