Hi friends

I tried searching for a thread on this, but I was unsuccessful, so if it exists, please feel free to merge this..

I've been trying to locate a region free BR player, and apart from the Laser Brand model, which I last bought 3 years ago, is there anything else?

Is it really based on an old Sony model?
It's also been harder to track this model down, but I was hoping there will be some other options?

Preferably in NSW / Sydney..

Thanks everyone :)

laser is region selectable. there are few other choices...

http://www.gattiweb.com/bluraymod.html

see above for options from sony, panasonic and LG and pioneer.

if still have an oppo or cambridge it woudl be a choice...my oppo works fine for regions selectability. 

19 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

https://www.220-electronics.com/region-free-blu-ray-players.html

No idea what they charge for international shipping, but there is a large range.

Or do a WTB for an Oppo 103, 105 with region free kit (but neither the cat nor I are selling ours!)

Hmm, I've a multi region 103 that I was looking to replace in the near future. I hadn't really thought of selling it, just keep as a spare. To be honest I've never particularly liked it. Too slow, and the region mod on it is just too complicated and slow that now I just have it region A and can't be bothered changing the region... I just use my Panasonic UHD for region B.

20 hours ago, betty boop said:

laser is region selectable. there are few other choices...

http://www.gattiweb.com/bluraymod.html

see above for options from sony, panasonic and LG and pioneer.

if still have an oppo or cambridge it woudl be a choice...my oppo works fine for regions selectability. 

You don't find the region selection process just too irritating? I can't stand how long it takes and how complicated it it on my 103

I wish there was a mod for the Pana 9000 - I find it hard to go to a player I can't shift subtitles AND drop their luminance!

I was looking at getting one of the Pioneer's from gatti. Something with a Source direct mode. Although sadly no subtitle luminance control

37 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Hmm, I've a multi region 103 that I was looking to replace in the near future.

Sell it to OP?

38 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Too slow, and the region mod on it is just too complicated and ...

I do not switch region much, but it is programmed in my Logitech Harmony.

56 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

You don't find the region selection process just too irritating? I can't stand how long it takes and how complicated it it on my 103

Pro mod selection was simpler than regular mod. Don’t see headache. But if have two players could do as I do ... 9000 for general use. OPPO for region A Or when needing multi region DVD.

56 minutes ago, betty boop said:

Pro mod selection was simpler than regular mod. Don’t see headache. But if have two players could do as I do ... 9000 for general use. OPPO for region A Or when needing multi region DVD.

What model?

Yeah whatever the mod is on the 103 it involves removing all discs, power cycling it (which for a sluggish player like the opp adds two minutes to it), entering about 5 keystrokes,  and then hoping you didn't make a mistake and then have to repeat this several more times. 

If I had a mod like the one they have at Gatti for others I'd possibly consider keeping it.

7 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

What model?

oppo 205

Yeah whatever the mod is on the 103 it involves removing all discs, power cycling it (which for a sluggish player like the opp adds two minutes to it), entering about 5 keystrokes,  and then hoping you didn't make a mistake and then have to repeat this several more times. 

cant help you with that. am quite happy with mine, dont see as an impost. as mentioned if have two players (oppo and 9000) so typically am not all the time  even changing Regions, just leave one on region A one on region b and never ever have to change regions. but said that already :)

If I had a mod like the one they have at Gatti for others I'd possibly consider keeping it.

my 205 has the gati mod, but irrelevant they arent sold anymore. no idea how the mods are on any of the other units to comment. 

Mine is a standard 103 mod and programmed into my Logitech Harmony 750 remote as 3 seperate buttons for each of the regions.  Happy to assist you offline if you are interested.

6 hours ago, betty boop said:

It was great having the choice of pro or standard  Al for a 95 I once had ; many preferred the pro for less keystrokes ; its too bad bluraychip d/k decided to drop the pro . A bit more futzing with the standard as Mobe said 

http://www.bluraychip.dk/product.php?id_product=26

That said the pro was supposed to get firmware upgrades which never happened and some had trouble when the oppo firmware was upgraded iirc ? The other modders o'seas were jvb digital for any enquiries ..

http://www.jvbdigital.nl/jvb.asp?level=modifications&page=title&title=1234

I still have a oppo bdp83 but I forget what rf chipset it has ; it was bought with it installed from Canberra's Merlin audio before Oppo had a distributor in Aus 

16 minutes ago, cwt said:

That said the pro was supposed to get firmware upgrades which never happened and some had trouble when the oppo firmware was upgraded iirc ? 

That was a scandal, wasn't it!

18 minutes ago, cwt said:

it was bought with it installed from Canberra's Merlin audio before Oppo had a distributor in Aus 

Mine also came from Merlin, which included the standard mod as a promotion. I think the pro mod was going to cost $150 (???) more, but I had only irregular use, so happy to have standard.

the mod for the 205 certainly wasnt cheap - same as for the 203. and something i installed myself in both(in hind site wouldn't recommend DIY on the 205 as needs almost full strip down - leave to gatti) so cost for me didnt include installation. to be fair i have had no issue at all with the mod on these players. all has worked as should. i certainly remember the oppo 95 days... but also do recall updates to sort. so was all good in end...though did move my 95 on so not sure if there were further gremlins in later years 

I've got a Denon DBT-3313 it uses a simple file on a USB to enable you to change the region. If you can find one happy to share the files with you to make it multi-region. Other benefit is it is a universal disc player so does SACD and DVD Audio along with DVD, Bluesy and CDs. Also has a DLNA player so can play mkv from something like a Plex server.

I also bought one of those Laser players. I originally bought it as a cheap stop-gap so that I could play blu-ray discs on my old CRT TV. The bonus was that it could play all regions (region free for DVD, manually region selectable for BD).

When I eventually bought a flat screen TV, I bought an OPPO 103, but didn't get the multi-region mod. I kept the Laser player though, and connected its HDMI out into one of the OPPO's inputs for the odd occasion when I want to play non region B blu-ray discs, or non region 4 DVDs.

Thanks mate, that 220 site has nice prices for players, But the cost of shipping is crazy... I'll look around the Laser player range.. I bought a Toshiba before, it was great while it lasted..

The Oppo was an option before, but not anymore for me.. I sold off all my players except my 83 Nuforce..  

there is the standard approach to this scenario...something many folks have done... where can accomodate a 2nd player is simply keep player have and add specifically a region A player (in this case doesnt have to be multi region) and can buy cheap affordable region players on the web.... just make sure 110-240V as most players are these days anyways ....,

a good reason to have two different brand players is also so remote codes dont interact :D though some do have facility to change this...

That's my current setup:

One US imported X 800, and one X700 for region B..

But they aren't DVD code free, so I'm still using my trusty old Panasonic DVD recorder from Bing Lee that I bought in 2006!

1080i :) 

1 hour ago, petetherock said:

That's my current setup:

One US imported X 800, and one X700 for region B..

But they aren't DVD code free, so I'm still using my trusty old Panasonic DVD recorder from Bing Lee that I bought in 2006!

1080i :) 

yeah but wouldn't the X700 for region B presuming its a local one do local DVD and one from US do DVDs from us ? 

Didnt you have an oppo transport ? that can just flash with the dvd Region free crack on disc :) 

I still have an olde Oppo 83 Nuforce, but I 'reserve' that laser for music playback. Parts are hard to come by, so I try to keep it as long as I can..

I have some DVDs from UK, China etc, so I still need that Panny..

But I have a granny room, and my mum still enjoys her dose of BR / DVDs from all over.

These days, it's not so urgent, since I bought her a new TV with the AppleTV app installed. She can view my entire collection now and she's lapping it up :)

But I reckon if I can get a cheap BR player I'll keep one. I wish Oppo had continued, I should have kept my 203.. but oh well.. 

email from sanity this evening saying they are selling the laser multi region players.... no mention of price, no idea if on their website...

I ended up getting a Sony 3700 region free player.. the remote will also work with my TV, so it's win win..

Will post something when it arrives :) 

21 minutes ago, petetherock said:

I ended up getting a Sony 3700 region free player.. the remote will also work with my TV, so it's win win..

From Gattiweb, I presume?  But there is no Sony 3700, only 3500 or 6700.

3 hours ago, betty boop said:

email from sanity this evening saying they are selling the laser multi region players.... no mention of price, no idea if on their website...

$99

Link

On 17/03/2020 at 9:52 PM, petetherock said:

Yes, thanks- I'm interested in how simple the region switching is. I think it is supposed to be as simple as having playback stopped and hitting a button.

On 17/03/2020 at 8:16 PM, Snoopy8 said:

From Gattiweb, I presume?  But there is no Sony 3700, only 3500 or 6700.

Ordered it off amazon.. 220v electronics .. will post more when it arrives..

I’ve tried the older 6500 from them before.. they are quite proper 👍