Sony X9500G behavourial issues

Hi all,

Following on from this thread I thought I'd start a new topic as its not really related.  This is not about bagging out the brand or my dirty laundry but  a query to see if anyone else with this model or same brand has these issues.

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/288602-75”-or-greater-sony-z9f-or-x9500g-or-what/page/4/

I still have the mentioned issue in previous thread with any apps like Netflix or Kayo etc once i turn the tv off, which i think is poor and not normal but not much I can do to fix it so kinda learnt to begrudgingly live with it - but recently its also just randomly starting rebooting while watching tv or if i push a button on the remote and it stalls then it will reboot.  Not every day but certinaly not a one off either.

Its just restart that it does so thankfully all my settings are kept but the tv just restarts and we need to get ourselves back to the part of the movie we were watching.

Not really great considering the cost and high reviews of the TV.

I've called Sony this afternoon who wanted me to film the issue - I advised its a bit hard to have a camera on the ready for random behaviour but if you want to send me a sony video camera i'd be happy to set it up whenever i watch tv.

I was then offered a technician visit but if no issue was found during visit i'd be charged, to which i responded a swift no way and that after spending what i'd spent on the TV i expect better customer service and right now i'd hardly recommend the brand or the TV.  I further explained that my initial contact late last year even though the app issue was not resolved i was "ok"to live with but random rebooting I am not.  They were thankfully able to find that contact in their records.

I am waiting on a call back in the next day or so and hopefully to a sensible resolve.  For me right now that would be if a technician cannot fix the app fault which they've said is not normal should be a replacement TV. its just gone 80days old and my first contact to Sony on this was when the TV had been here for a week (mid December).

Just wondering if anyone else with this TV or a Sony TV in general has had or experiencing similar issues?

• 1 month later...

My wife notice when she was watching Netflix and pause and going back again it starts loading  and up to 25% and doesn't load up. However when I changed to another channel it connects. Another problem I notice is when I use the bluetooth pairing up with the Kef LSW50 speakers the Sony remote channels keeps running crazy to all the channels rather than move one by one. To avoid this I switch of the Kef bluetooth pairing than it works fine. Trying to call Sony call centre which I believe is in the Philippines may take time as there is a shut down in their call centre.

• Like 1

I have the 85inch X95G and it happens with Netflix sometimes. It just doesn’t want to load a particular series. I have to disconnect power to the TV and after rebooting, it fixes the problem. 

• Like 1

I've found the Sony Netflix app to be a bit flakey (sometimes freezing at 25% or dropping out at the start of playing a show). Usually I just switch to an attached Chromecast Ultra when the app has issues. 

However, since finally getting a decent internet connection the app has been operating fine.?

• Like 1

HMM, you would think at the cost of this TV and its well regarded reviews that these issues would not be there. 

Since my first post I have changed the powerboard its plugged into, that has somewhat fixed the frozen screen/auto restart issue.  That only happens now if i am looking through the TV guide or switching from an app like Kayo to live TV and press the buttons to quickly - it seems to shhhit itself and then freezes and fully reboots.

As far as the issue that if we are watching Netflix (or Kayo, YouTube etc) and simply turn the TV off (without backing out of the said app) even if left overnight the next day when I turn it on it is still where we left it but at the end of the show! 

I just cannot get past this and how pathetic it is that in 2020 on TV at this price when you turn a TV off  and you have not been watching live TV i'd expect that no matter what you were watching (with exception to different selected input like AV or USB) that the TV would not have the app sitting there dormant for the last 16hrs for example. 

I get its not a big deal to back right out and exit Netflix or Kayo before I turn the TV but it is not a process i have encountered on any TV previously owned.  If you turn your phone, tablet, PC or pretty much anything else off the next day when you turn it back on it never opens on where you left off.  Sony still want me to film this as they don't understand what it is that the TV is doing - which is every bit as absurd as the behaviour itself IMO

I have reinstalled the apps but has not fixed the problem.

The picture is great, I would not say its game changing against other TV's i've owned though - and given how tempromental the TV is without question when the time or urge for upgrade comes I wont be buying another Sony.  Its the only Sony item in our household and likely the last.

Im used to using an Apple TV elsewhere  so  I always exit an app on the TV before switching off.  I can imagine how frustrating it would be if you are not used to the behaviour.  I'm wondering if its because Sony TV is Android based and the Operating system is set up that way

I have a KD-43x7000E in the bedroom (non android).

I found it would start up by itself during the night if netflx wasn't exited before shut down.

It also restarted by itself sometimes but seems to have stopped doing that lately.

Other than that it is a good bedroom tv.

On 23/04/2020 at 4:45 PM, 08Boss302 said:

I wont be buying another Sony

Hard to say but mabey some brands are overrated. All brands seem to have some issues these days.

22 hours ago, Tasso said:

Im used to using an Apple TV elsewhere  so  I always exit an app on the TV before switching off.  I can imagine how frustrating it would be if you are not used to the behaviour.  I'm wondering if its because Sony TV is Android based and the Operating system is set up that way

The previous TV i had was hard installed with Netflix and youtube but I could not access google play and upload apps like Kayo etc, so you could be right in suggesting that the Android TV operates in this way and its just something I need to get use to.  I never really thought of that.

I do find the freezing reboot thing it does frustrating though.  If i am pushing buttons and flying through its menu up and down left and right - it seems to just give up, freeze and reboot.  Sadly it occasionaly does it on the TV guide when holding down the up botton to get to the first channel.  Not always but again, for me it should be a not ever.  Maybe I am just expecting too much from it LOL.

5 minutes ago, Hazzzy said:

I have a KD-43x7000E in the bedroom (non android).

I found it would start up by itself during the night if netflx wasn't exited before shut down.

It also restarted by itself sometimes but seems to have stopped doing that lately.

Other than that it is a good bedroom tv.

Hard to say but mabey some brands are overrated. All brands seem to have some issues these days.

Sounds like my situation is not uncommon but as I am not use to it, it's just something I need to live with.

Don't get me wrong, its not every time we watch TV that it restarts and the Netflix thing is something now I just learn to revert back to live TV before turning off, but these small idiosyncrasies of the TV urked me when I first got it but the more feedback i receive is prooving its all pretty normal.

I will say, my previous TV was a Hisense 75", picture was fantastic, it did everything and never played up.  My TV before that was Hisense 65" and that too was great.  My parents now have the 65" the 75" is our family room still functioning pefectly.

Hisense didn't have an 85" version last year when I was shopping so I splurged on the Sony.  Since then Hisense have released the 85" version. If I was to go shopping now I'd save a few thousand and get another Hisense without question.

13 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

I'd save a few thousand and get another Hisense without question

My daughter had a tcl which died just out of warranty.

I won't buy a TCL!

You are right to not be happy especially when you pay for a premium product.

My expectations were never sky high due to being the cheaper end of tv's.

Edited by Hazzzy
  • Like 1

yeah, one of the things I did on the phone with Sony was a full power cycle reset and checked on the firmware.  The TV is ethernet hardwired and they confirmed the firmware was the most recent.

I think part of it is just the weak processor in the TV Sony use and me asking too much of it when I speed through menus and the other part is just a functionalilty gripe I have.

Watching TV I can see why people rate the thing so highly, I truly can, but for the $$$ spent I am sorely disappointed at the behaviours of it and Sony's pathetic level of customer service.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 08Boss302 said:

yeah, one of the things I did on the phone with Sony was a full power cycle reset and checked on the firmware.  The TV is ethernet hardwired and they confirmed the firmware was the most recent.

I think part of it is just the weak processor in the TV Sony use and me asking too much of it when I speed through menus and the other part is just a functionalilty gripe I have.

Watching TV I can see why people rate the thing so highly, I truly can, but for the $$$ spent I am sorely disappointed at the behaviours of it and Sony's pathetic level of customer service.

I agree that the Operating system is not as robust as it ought to be.  I must admit I haven't been too impressed with any TV from that perspective. They don't. seem to have the stability and flexibility of an ATV4 for example.

The X9500G  has a couple of cool features too  I think.  It is  Airplay 2 compliant  as well as Chromecast which allows any family member to share whatever instantly on the TV. I also found that when I had an ATV hooked up, the Sony remote can operate ATV directly without using the apple remote . It also  has total control  of playback during Airplay and Chromecast streaming too.

• Like 1

Changing the DNS settings to the google ones in my router solved all of the app problems on my Sony:

The Google Public DNS IP addresses (IPv4) are as follows:

Edited by Guest

On 26/04/2020 at 9:17 PM, The_Doctor said:

Changing the DNS settings to the google ones in my router solved all of the app problems on my Sony:

The Google Public DNS IP addresses (IPv4) are as follows:

You can also change DNS settings directly on the TV without having to do it on the router.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Exactly same thing is happening to me. Sony said the same thing to me to try and film it which is impossible.

I would say it's more random when it happens. Needs to be addressed by Sony

Agreed.  They clearly know it's an issue but have no fix hence the pathetic request to film it...

Mine has got better somehow though - thankfully.  I find if I just take it a bit slower through menu searching or tv guide searching it's good, when I fly thru that and jump around them menu too fast its tendency to freeze is higher.

Perhaps I have a related experience, the Netflix app on the tv doesn't appear to work. I haven't really worried about it, as I have Netflix on both Foxtel and AppleTV. 

On 04/07/2020 at 3:33 PM, mjs said:

Perhaps I have a related experience, the Netflix app on the tv doesn't appear to work. I haven't really worried about it, as I have Netflix on both Foxtel and AppleTV. 

If the app doesn't work its a software glitch. I'd suggest deleting the app altogether then re-installing after a reboot. The same thing can happen on any device.