AVR Suggestions for Monitor Audio Gold 5G

4 hours ago, Quark said:

Be aware that Yamaha's power figures are complete BS. The amp has a maximum power consumption of 650W. Take best case class A/B amplifier efficiency of 70% leaves you 650x .7 = 455W. Divide 455W over over channels leaves about 41W per channel. It will be fine with speakers with decent efficiency if you're not trying to rock the house, but if you're the type that likes things loud you'll be risking clipping and speaker damage.

Yes that is true:

https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/mx-a5200/specs.html#product-tabs

Amplifier Section Channel 11
Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) 290 W (4 ohm, 0.9% THD [European Model]), 230 W (6 ohm, 0.9% THD), 190 W (8 ohm, 0.9% THD)
Rated Output Power (1kHz, 2ch driven) 170 W (8 ohm, 0.9% THD)
Rated Output Power (1kHz, 2ch driven, bridged connection) 240 W (8 ohm, 0.9% THD)
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 170 W (6 ohm, 0.06% THD), 150 W (8 ohm, 0.06% THD)
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven, bridged connection) 200 W (8 ohm, 0.06% THD)
Maximum Effective Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) (JEITA) 280 W (6 ohm, 10% THD), 230 W (8 ohm, 10% THD)
Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) 190 / 250 / 350 / 500 W

There are better Power Amps out there for sure given price point.

Edited by bizzibee

This is a no brainer. Get the AVR with the features you need ie. pre-outs for all channels and get some nice power amps. That's what I did and it sounds amazing. Run my Marantz through my Plinius 9200 (has HT pass through which uses it's power section 200w/ch) for fronts. Run centre channel off the Marantz (doesn't need much power. Receiver has plenty) and the rear channels off an Exposure power amp. Might just get a Emotiva 3 channel eventually to cover other channels but not necessary IMO.

• Like 1

I also recently upgraded a number of components in my HT setup, one of which was my AVR (Denon AVRX4200W).  I ended up moving to separates for many of the reasons discussed.  If you're not chasing all the latest streaming features, I came across this Marantz AV7702mkII in my travels for what I thought was a good price.  Match something like this with your choice of power amp/s and you'd be in a good place. My 2c.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Marantz-AV7702mkII-11-2-home-theatre-preamp-processor-with-Dolby-Atmos/254449945573?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

• Like 1

Thanks again to everyone for their input! :)

I am going to wait for some reviews of the NAD T778 (seems to be alot of praise and expectation for this over at AV Forums) and also have a look into trialing some separates in the meantime :).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, paulie83 said:

Thanks again to everyone for their input! :)

I am going to wait for some reviews of the NAD T778 (seems to be alot of praise and expectation for this over at AV Forums) and also have a look into trialing some separates in the meantime :).

Been contemplating the 778 as well as looking at a 5.1.4 setup.

I have no hesitation regarding amp power and Dirac, but can't seem to work out if it has latest hdmi and hdcp or even DSTX.

Like you, waiting  for more info or reviews.

Other option is Marantz sr6014 plus 5 channel amp such as emotiva basx a500 or similar. Bit cheaper as well.

Edited by SGS

20 hours ago, SGS said:

Been contemplating the 778 as well as looking at a 5.1.4 setup.

I have no hesitation regarding amp power and Dirac, but can't seem to work out if it has latest hdmi and hdcp or even DSTX.

Like you, waiting  for more info or reviews.

Other option is Marantz sr6014 plus 5 channel amp such as emotiva basx a500 or similar. Bit cheaper as well.

Just be careful, are you really wanting  the very latest... is it necessary ? Anything from 2016 onwards with hdcp 2.2 hdmi 2.0b Lilly do anything need. Things like dts-x been around ever since too :)

definitely check,  do due dillegence but consider whether really need the latest ?