morloch

Commonwealth turntable - AMAZING factory film

Posted (edited)

Hard to believe this film exists. Enjoy!

Edited by morloch

That was cool :thumb:

Be interesting to know what happened to the "several hundred" Commomwealth TT's that the ABC had. Going by what they did to early Countdown video tapes, the TT's probably ended up in landfill in the mid 80's😩.....all replaced by crappy CD players.

Anyone know the truth?

A glimpse to another world. I love the machining part were they have swarf flying about, its in his hair etc, but no safety glasses. Even more impressive is he has a cardigan and tie on under his workshop coat. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, stevoz said:

Be interesting to know what happened to the "several hundred" Commomwealth TT's that the ABC had. Going by what they did to early Countdown video tapes, the TT's probably ended up in landfill in the mid 80's😩.....all replaced by crappy CD players.

Anyone know the truth?

A former ABC engineer has two, which are now used for his audio restoration project work at the Australian Jazz Museum in Wantirna, Vic. 

Edited by audiofeline

Posted (edited)

This is a great find.  There is also a small clip of the factory in Hobart in the National Sound Archives.  The clip on the web is extremely small/low res. 

Edit: It's in the Tasmanian archives.  Home film by Lindsay McCarthy, 8mm slilent, "....Commonwealth electronics factory behind Phillips show room Moonah showing record turntables and parts".  Can't find the small clip I've seen before.

https://librariestas.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/tas/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fARCHIVES_ITEMS$002f0$002fARCHIVES_ITE_DIX:NS5551-1-6/one

Edit:  Have just chatted to them online about the availability for viewing this clip online:  

Operator No, this film has not been digitised and is not available online.
Operator You can request a copy via our copy service, at a cost of $44.00
Operator Here is a link to our copy service page

Edited by audiofeline

Thanks for the "film"

The Commonwealth's main plus is that it gets up to full speed in the twinkling of an eye. Which is what a radio broadcaster needs. 

The rumble was easily filtered at the transmission end and certainly would not be reproduced at the radio end.

Early hi-fi equipment came with rumble filters for these type of TTs. 

14 minutes ago, Colin Rutter said:

Thanks for the "film"

The Commonwealth's main plus is that it gets up to full speed in the twinkling of an eye. Which is what a radio broadcaster needs. 

The rumble was easily filtered at the transmission end and certainly would not be reproduced at the radio end.

Early hi-fi equipment came with rumble filters for these type of TTs. 

In a good plinth there is no rumble to speak of in these turntables.  Unfortunately because of the cheap idler record changers polular in the 60/70's (which did have a lot of rumble and required rumble filters on home amps), many people assume that all idler turntables have excessive rumble - which is untrue.  Professional idler turntables like the Commonwealth, Byer/Rola, etc. are as silent as top-quality dd/belt turntables. 

7 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

In a good plinth there is no rumble to speak of in these turntables.  Unfortunately because of the cheap idler record changers polular in the 60/70's (which did have a lot of rumble and required rumble filters on home amps), many people assume that all idler turntables have excessive rumble - which is untrue.  Professional idler turntables like the Commonwealth, Byer/Rola, etc. are as silent as top-quality dd/belt turntables. 

Not to my ears. 

But that doesn't mean I don't like them. 

I have the best of the PE tts.

I saw one at a garage sale here in Canberra years ago, but someone beat me to it- the same guy who found a pair of Tannoys at the tip, that had belonged to the guy who developed the fast breeding reactor ( our first Nobel prize winner I think)

The eight pole hysteresis motors used with the Commonwealth Electronics turntables results in a  transition of a 22.52. Hz vibration frequency at 33 1/3 RPM. The compliance of the rubber idler and the flywheel effect of the heavy platter results in   very low rumble   for this product and it  has never been a  matter of concern.