Duelund Silver and Oil bypass capacitor price reduction :)

muon*

Apparently the new production machinery Duelund have invested in recently is already paying off for us, the price of the above capacitors is now half of what it was previously, with partsconnxion listing them now for around $42USD each where they had untill recently been $99USD each.

Over on Jeff's Place it is said Frederik says they aim to offer other products priced accordingly............Yay!!! :party

Thank you, Duelund.

https://jeffsplace.positive-feedback.com/new-duelund-production-efficiencies-allow-bypass-capacitor-price-reductions/

Edited by muon*
  • Like 1

Great news, Ian - thanks for posting!

Do you reckon these bypass caps would be a worthwhile investment for the AKSA 'Alpha Nirvana' Class A amps I am in the process of building?

I chose Auricap XO as the input coupling cap - as I was limited in physical size.  The Auricaps are not bad ... but the Duelund bypass caps might improve them?

Andy

4 minutes ago, andyr said:

Great news, Ian - thanks for posting!

Do you reckon these bypass caps would be a worthwhile investment for the AKSA 'Alpha Nirvana' Class A amps I am in the process of building?

I chose Auricap XO as the input coupling cap - as I was limited in physical size.  The Auricaps are not bad ... but the Duelund bypass caps might improve them?

Andy

If the value is the same why not!

Read some of the reviews on these and see if what they offer sound wise suits you, Andy.

There is also the Tinned Copper bypass caps, both are 0.01uf/600v.

Edit: ah! I see, you intend to bypass the Auricap's....as above reading reviews on the sonic attributes might be worthwhile.

Edited by muon*
Need proof reader

There's no doubt the duellund caps are exceptionally good, but the bypass capacitors are such small values that realistically they're not going to offer that much benefit IMO. When I've tried bypassing with very small values in speaker crossovers, the effect has been subtle at best. I suspect expectation bias is a big part of what people perceive to be their benefit. If they were 10% of the total capacitance they'd have a huge effect, but .1% is not going to have that big an effect.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

There's no doubt the duellund caps are exceptionally good, but the bypass capacitors are such small values that realistically they're not going to offer that much benefit IMO. When I've tried bypassing with very small values in speaker crossovers, the effect has been subtle at best. I suspect expectation bias is a big part of what people perceive to be their benefit. If they were 10% of the total capacitance they'd have a huge effect, but .1% is not going to have that big an effect.

Mike uses them in his speakers and also offers them as an upgrade, owners have lamented on how they improve things quite a bit, for them.

Edit: From my own bypassing experiments I's say It's no expectation biases.

Have done it with Vishays of the same value with audible results.

Edited by muon*

1 minute ago, muon* said:

Mike uses them in his speakers and also offers them as an upgrade, owners have lamented on how they improve things quite a bit, for them.

Sure thing, just pointing out that hasn't been my experience.

24 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Right, and my experience with substantially sized bypass caps have been very good by comparison.

Of course larger values will lend more of their sonic signature.

Personally I try and avoid any bypass caps and prefer to use a single high quality cap, but I will in some cases (economy) break my own rule of preference.

Edited by muon*
Yup, need a proof reader.
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, muon* said:

Edit: From my own bypassing experiments I's say It's no expectation biases.

Have done it with Vishays of the same value with audible results.

The first upgrade Mike did with bypass capacitors was in my ML2 Ltds crossovers  The outcome was noticeably beneficial and definitely worthwhile.

My partner who rarely compliments my system was quite impressed

John

Edited by Assisi
Words
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ittaku said:

Agreed

the link quotes 0.01uf or 100nf....    

these values are so small that it’s insignificant to whatever you use especially if they were used to bypassed a main cap at tens of uf plus....    I’ve done this with Vishay 100nf as suggested by that other Rubbish site/link  and I refused to accept and believe any credibility of what’s written.. The other suggestions was the recommendation of Obbligators which are in my opinion the worst caps ever!  

• Like 1

Your experience and Con's is valid for you both, as others experiences are valid for them.

@Addicted to music the Obbligato's you used were not the ones reviewed on humblehomemade's capacitor test, I have pointed this out to you previously.

humblehomemade have never tested the Obbligato Premium Gold Capacitors. I got this from Tony Gee himself when I corresponded with him some years ago.

Edited by muon*

3 minutes ago, muon* said:

Your experience and Con's is valid for you both, as others experiences are valid for them.

@Addicted to music the Obbligato's you used were not the ones reviewed on humblehomemade's capacitor test, I have pointed this out to you previously.

You have, but that’s beside the point, the recommendation was made b4 you pointed that out and I also bought on those recommendations for the values I required,  I can say this they are definitely not MKP because any MKP do not sound like that,  I’ve also had 50uf MKP wounded here when Ericsson had there machines in Melbourne, now these are caps I will never let go.  

2ndly from that experience, I will never consider any glorified audiophile recommmeded caps on any site,  if I were to by capacitors, they must accompany a data sheet...  its is so important that this box is ticked.

Yes, you assumed ehey tested the Obbligato Gold without checking, the ones they did test I used in @MattyW Oatlon crossovers, he can tell you how they turned out.

I have the Obbligato Copper case and Obbligato Golds in my ML-1's, I like them for the price :party

Edited by muon*

3 minutes ago, muon* said:

Yes, you assumed hey tested the Obbligato Gold without checking, the ones they did test I used in @MattyW Oatlon crossovers, he can tell you how they turned out.

I have the Obbligato Copper case and Obbligato Golds in my ML-1's, I like them for the price :party

Then try the stuff I won’t let go....

16 minutes ago, muon* said:

Yes, you assumed hey tested the Obbligato Gold without checking, the ones they did test I used in @MattyW Oatlon crossovers, he can tell you how they turned out.

Turned out great actually.  A huge improvement over the standard crossovers. :)

More bass, better definition throughout and a more expansive sound stage.  These speakers are lovely for music though really excel for home theater use. One of the better speakers I've run.

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Then try the stuff I won’t let go....

Why? because you prefer them?

Pretty difficult if you won't let them go :lol:

Like I pointed out in different terms earlier, an individuals experience is valid for that individual.

Edit: this is now way OT.

Edited by muon*

I have used Duelund in my speaker crossovers and transformed the system just stunning. I’ve purchased some silver cast for my Luxman amp to match the speakers, can’t wait till it’s finished.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 44maloo said:

I have used Duelund in my speaker crossovers and transformed the system just stunning. I’ve purchased some silver cast for my Luxman amp to match the speakers, can’t wait till it’s finished.

That's been my experience with the Duelund silver bypass caps. Wherever they've been used they've transformed the system into something truly special. The difference hasn't been subtle.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Bypassing any electrolytic  with a .01uf is easily heard . Not only that the better the cap the better the result . I am speaking from extensive experience and my modifications to equipment has been very well recieved by audiophiles .

I have also run many experiments  to ascertain how small a bypass can be heard . 

I got down to 10 pf and could hear the effect . This is like one thousanth of a .01uf . I  didnt like the result but the point was you could hear it . This was bypassing a 0.1uf film cap around a tda1541 dac chip. 

A .01 uf is the only size to bypass with . Moving away smaller or larger results in subtle but less natural sound . 

Quality is paramount and one of the reasons why bypassing is not always liked . 

I  now only bypass with a top copper foil like Jupiter  . But the auricap .01 1500v is special too and yes the 1500v cap is better than the 600v auricap .dont ask why . I dont know . 

I just finnished a Marantz cd94 mk2 for someone else  and  the result was amazing .Very close to my own machine .  This was mostly due to extensive bypassing with the best caps available . 

Unfortunately there is no free lunch and lower quality caps will not get you to nirvana . 

If they did I would use them . I have tried lots . 

Edited by brenden
  • Like 1