Panasonic 4K player now doing Netflix Dolby Atmos

Like the title says, noticed this last night with the new Season of Altered Carbon. Nice to see if finally happen, but I’d already brought an Apple TV 4K for it ?

I have the 420, I’d imagine all similar models getting it too. Enjoy. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/03/2020 at 1:57 PM, PauliD said:

Like the title says, noticed this last night with the new Season of Altered Carbon. Nice to see if finally happen, but I’d already brought an Apple TV 4K for it ?

good to hear paul, I do use the apple tv 4k but its good to know my pana is a good alternative source doing netflix atmos as well :)

• Haha 1

Hey,

last time I checked for a Stan App it didn't have one. Netflix runs really well though and I prefer the poster/DVD cover sized thumbnails as opposed to the screen grab style of Apple TV. Dunno why they are different tho. It has others like Youtube as well, I'd need to check iView and SBS onDemand. If I remember I'll check tonight.

I use the Apple TV for Stan and Netflix for TV shows, but if I want to watch a movie I fire-up the Pana as I like it's image processing better – could be physiological/HCX marketing induced ;) 

does the pana maintain original frame rate, dynamic range and resolution ? like appletv ? something wil check its a bug bear on some of these players, apart form original sammy 8500 all rest since have found forced everything to 4k 50/60 HDR no matter if were not and  say just 4k only 24p and/or SDR :)

56 minutes ago, betty boop said:

does the pana maintain original frame rate, dynamic range and resolution ? like appletv ? something wil check its a bug bear on some of these players, apart form original sammy 8500 all rest since have found forced everything to 4k 50/60 HDR no matter if were not and  say just 4k only 24p and/or SDR :)

How would I test this? Is there a netflix or youtube clip you know has issue I could try? I assume the 'info' button on the Pana is what you want to see?

14 minutes ago, PauliD said:

How would I test this? Is there a netflix or youtube clip you know has issue I could try? I assume the 'info' button on the Pana is what you want to see?

hi paul. its a good question.... answer is most stuff natively is 24p .... see what pana does, is it upsampling everything to 50/60p ? the playback info button should show incoming vs outgoing ...your TV will tell you this with its info button showing what is incoming :) same with non 4k stuff is it upsampling ? SDR stuff upsampling to HDR ? worth checking 

Well here is what I found...

Panasonic UB420 video only into HDMI 1, the second image is Apple TV 4K HDMI 2, through my Denon AVR. Btw my telly doesn’t do HDR :( 

Altered Carbon

D655CADB-E579-48D8-85FC-2CCAE9937450.thumb.jpeg.a5f7ef7b4fa3e7b95a9552fe781dcfe5.jpeg

84E38EC6-2B26-4362-AC04-FEE73BB48DFA.thumb.jpeg.45b6048e6fd3cb0d816e280cc5fa8f35.jpeg

Spencer. That new Mark Wahlberg movie

28458BB5-D7E1-4E2A-95B9-F56606FCF8D4.thumb.jpeg.c339d00dbefc22f10f6703594ab7337e.jpeg

D3BAD47D-6309-49BB-8ABD-B7F9D55774F6.thumb.jpeg.192dc7cbb86c86db4e90d29c3e2e5879.jpeg

Jurassic movie in HD

5AE5CD3B-3EF2-49C7-9673-5B842F309DD3.thumb.jpeg.1b95a7b2ceac958a3a97e05b6c19dcea.jpeg
82834F99-E583-4A14-9964-5AF6DFFC57F3.thumb.jpeg.f7b58ee6e093c55107cbc8f2b8e65d37.jpeg

so yeah Apple does it better. It is the HCX marketing for streaming that got me. I did have to go in and test/activate all the 4K modes on the Apple TV which I hadn’t previously. Now I get Dolby Vision tag on the Spencer movie even with out a HDR turned on as a main setting. The picture is a isn’t as washed out as HDR Turned on, but is not as rich as the Panasonic which doesn’t show the Dolby Vision tag. I’ll need to investigate this further, could be a deep colour thing?

Of course the Panasonic plays all the disc correctly this is purely streaming stuff here for those not familiar with it, and no Stan App :( 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, betty boop said:

Your 9000 and other current panas no doubt has manual settings and a plethora of others Al that auto sync edids to 60p [ if you cant stand 24p frame judder ? it bugs a few out there sensitive to it iirc] . Looking at the video processing steps it can even pulldown 60p uhd to 24p ; it also passes all uhd tests as the review below shows B|

Things like HDR format, bit-depth, and resolution are all part of the EDID protocol that all displays use to communicate with source components. If you like to tweak, you can set the video signal to 4:2:0, 4:4:4, or RGB output. Many displays look their best with an RGB signal. You can also set the HDR format and color depth manually along with 24p support.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/video-player/blu-ray/panasonic-dp-ub9000-ultra-hd-4k-blu-ray-player-review-part-1-video/

Edited by cwt
  • Like 1

@cwt yes you tweak away till your hearts content with anything on disc, just a bit more limited on streaming content.

"When first installing the player, the menus aren’t much different from what you’ll find in any other well-featured Ultra HD Blu-ray player. But when a disc is in the drawer, you get access to a vast array of video adjustments and signal information."

BTW you profile make me laugh every time I see it ;) 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, PauliD said:

@cwt yes you tweak away till your hearts content with anything on disc, just a bit more limited on streaming content.

"When first installing the player, the menus aren’t much different from what you’ll find in any other well-featured Ultra HD Blu-ray player. But when a disc is in the drawer, you get access to a vast array of video adjustments and signal information."

BTW you profile make me laugh every time I see it ;) 

That's what your paying for with the pana compared to the apple 4k Pauli ;its tone mapping for uhd means you get close to your displays capabilities so you don't get a washed out look as the player does the tone mapping instead of relying on your display which can be variable :) No Stan though ..

• 2 months later...
On 01/03/2020 at 1:57 PM, PauliD said:

did you have to do anything yourself or did it automatically change?  My one is still same... no atmos on netflix...

Otagmed, yes just appeared. Check your audio settings in the Apple TV app? Silly question but are your sure your Apple TV is supported and your HDMI cable is good too. 

Good luck.