Advice Sought for Computer Audio

Hi All, I have just recently bought myself a Apple, early 2009, Mac Pro desktop computer, so, I need some advice and insights into how to get the best audio sound from this computer, obviously, this is a new avenue fo me, hence the need for advice, I am leaning towards using the optical inputs, any suggestions on how to best to do this is most welcome, for example, is self powered speakers the best option over passive ? how would the optical connection compare to rca and Bluetooth ?  2 channel, 2.1 channel or 5.1 ? I look forward to your most coveted advice. Thanks 

I have a 2010 classic Mac Pro (cMP) 5,1 which I have pimped fair bit for general computer use. Its a very solid machine, which i run a small 2.1 speaker system off the optical out. I also have Mac Mini which I use in my main 2ch audio system, which I run USB out to a dedicated DAC, then amp then speakers.

If you are contemplating a desktop type environment, then your main options are either optical or analog out using the internals of the cMP. Optical would probably give you better results, assuming you have speakers that can take that input. I suspect the analog out (which I don't use) would-be slightly inferior, whether that's an issue compared with convenience, perhaps up to you. 

You could also consider digital out via USB (or even Firewire, anyone remember that?) to a suitable interface, typically a small DAC with suitable inputs and analog out to either powered speakers or an amp/speaker combo. This would probably be just 2ch but ould give the best performance.

What sort of files are you looking to play. 2ch music, multichannel , gaming? Played using what software? There alternatives to iTunes of course. 

Hi, I rip my cd’s to AIFF via iTunes, I have read that sound via USB is inferior, is optical way better than rca ? or is it just a small increase in overall sound quality ? Apparently, also, that the optical connection in the Apple has it’s own dac, is that true ? I will mainly be using it for music first, movies second and maybe some games.

@Digital Man  a bit ironic about your handle and you asking digital audio questions!  ?

USB, optical, bluetooth are all digital connections = need an external DAC

RCA = using DAC on Apple Mac Pro

It is likely that an external DAC will be better.  Bluetooth is most convenient but has lower resolution.  There is a debate over whether USB is better or poorer than Optical and you will find that there are both camps here.  Optical does provide electrical isolation but conversion may compromise things.  USB can be improved with better cables, reclocking.  Reclocking can improve optical but there is debate over better optical cables.  A 3 input DAC may be worse than a single input DAC.  It depends on how things are implemented.

You will find that all of my statements can be challenged (and this is not an open invitation!).  You have to work out which direction you want to go with.

Easiest is to go 2.0.  Wanting 5.1  as well complicates things.  For movies, easiest and cheapest is with an AVR.  But an AVR compromises on music and it is better to have separate systems for music and movies.  

Suggest thinking through what are the most important things you want to achieve. And you have not mentioned the rest of your music chain eg. speakers, amps etc.  Wanting everything is possible, but it makes for a complicated setup and a much larger learning curve for you.   Lastly, what is your budget?

Hi, My handle is more in relation to the fact that I only purchase DVD’s, Blurays and cd’s,  this computer is being set up in my bedroom, mostly for late evening use, I am not using a amp with it, I will use the on board sound card at this stage, I am wanting to keep it cheap, simple and minimalist, if there is no great difference in sound quality with the way I connect the speakers to the computer, then that allows me to step ahead to the next phase, speakers.

4 minutes ago, Digital Man said:

if there is no great difference in sound quality with the way I connect the speakers to the computer, then that allows me to step ahead to the next phase, speakers.

There is a significant difference if you are seriously into music. But it looks like you want it for casual use, so the Mac can do the job.

So, if you are not using an amp, I assume you will use active or powered speakers. Then it just depends what sort of inputs those speakers have, analog or digital, then if digital, SPIDF or optical. I doubt that active speakers would have a USB input, but there may be some out there. A fallback to analog would still work ok, if that's the only input you have on your speakers.

Personally, I think that either optical or USB will give the best result. Optical may be able to go straight to active speakers. If you have wifi, there is one other option of using a pair of wireless speakers, such as Sonos One.

Have a think about how much you want to spend on speakers, assuming it will just be 2ch for the moment. There's a few options up to and around the $500 mark. Find something you like, then sort out how to get a signal to them. The Mac Pro gives you options.

All great advice, thanks guys, okay, so there is a difference between different types of connections, optical has My interest at the moment, one good thing, a lot of the new, active computer speakers, like Edifier, allow the user to choose either rca, optical or Bluetooth to connect to the computer, I also have the opportunity to purchase a 5.1 Logitech system, circa 2007, for a $100, that also intrigued me.

@Snoopy8 has given good advice. I will try to expand it a bit more.

Anything that is on a CD, bluray, dvd, hard disk, other computer media is in DIGITAL format. Something needs to convert the digital to analog we call it a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter).

The first step is to decide how you are going to convert the digital sound into analog. There are many ways, e.g computer (sound card etc.) or external dac.  

The next step is amplification. That is easy - There should be an amp somewhere. And then you need speakers  to make the sound.

There are many products that can do various things. It all depends on how much you wish to spend and how complicated you wish to make it.

You have already said that you wish to use the Mac's sound card (that means the mac converts from digital to analog).  In that case you can connect RCA cables to an amp and then speakers. Or connect RCA's to active speakers that has amps built in. You could even connect something like some Bose systems to the headphone out that will give  you from 2 channel to 5.1  channels.

If you wish to use an external dac then you can use the usb or optical/toslink out. The options from here are endless. 

13 minutes ago, Digital Man said:

All great advice, thanks guys, okay, so there is a difference between different types of connections, optical has My interest at the moment, one good thing, a lot of the new, active computer speakers, like Edifier, allow the user to choose either rca, optical or Bluetooth to connect to the computer, I also have the opportunity to purchase a 5.1 Logitech system, circa 2007, for a $100, that also intrigued me.

IMO Edifier is not going to provide GOOD sound, neither will Logitech. I know I had most of them.  Bose is overpriced, but better - look at used options.

Read my posts - if you use the sound card in the computer you don't need to use optical - you need RCA our headphone out. 

I know the mac's headphone out is also an optical out, but you need to decide if you want to use the dac in the sound card or in external speakers. 

10 minutes ago, Jventer said:

if you use the sound card in the computer you don't need to use optical - you need RCA our headphone out. 

Gotcha, excuse my ignorance but, if I use the sound card, do I still need either a amp, doc or powered speakers ?

The Mac Pro doesn't have a sound card as such, it has audio circuitry that handles digital and analog signals. If you use optical, you are getting digital out and you will need an external DAC and amp in some form, could be separate or could both be in active speakers. If you use analog out, you are using the audio circuitry int he Mac to process from digital to analog. This will be ok, but perhaps slightly inferior to keeping things in the digital domain and using an external DAC (separate box or in active speakers) to convert to analog to feed the speakers.) 

To be honest, if you are thinking of speakers in the couple of hundreds of bucks range or slightly higher, analog out from the Mac will be fine. If you want to spend best part of a grand on speakers, then go the digital route.

Edited by mjs
more info

10 minutes ago, Digital Man said:

Gotcha, excuse my ignorance but, if I use the sound card, do I still need either a amp, doc or powered speakers ?

No worries re ignorance and questions. That is what the forum is all about. I learned most of what I know by asking questions.

If you use the sound card you need cable/s to connect the soundcard to

• either amp and then speakers
  • or active speakers (which has the amp built in)

Let's do this another way.

Tell us what you want to do in your bedroom and what you want to spend. I think we will then be able to show you possible solutions.

(P.S.  My original bedroom system was a Panasonic TV,  Panasonic Blu Ray player, Apple TV, Wadia 151 and 171 into AR18 speakers. Now I run a Panasonic TV into a Bluesound into a Luxman amp into Karri Wallpole speakers. Not more than 2 channel but way more than needed for a bedroom.)

play music, watch movies and youtube, just wanting something better than the built in speaker, which I am using at the moment, I am not wanting to play anything loud, so it doesn't have to be massive power/wattage, headphones are another option, I was just thinking that I could make a small set valve amp for it as well, or buy some speakers and build a valve amp into both. just toying with that one, so edifiers and logitech did not suffice, okay, what brands up to the $300 range would you recommend ? audio engine ? or what about aktimate ?

13 minutes ago, Digital Man said:

can get a aktimate  for about $300, any good ?

I’m using Aktimate Blue in a temporary accomodation set-up and they are great for the money. Convenient for Bluetooth. My only issue is that Bluetooth via the phone is a bit weird and spacey. Usually I stream from a nuc via USB and it’s pretty good, as are the analogue inputs. Great value.

Seems the Aktimate Micro B is available on evilbay for $310. Woudl appear to suit what you are looking for, haven't heard them personally though, and I would try to do that first if you can somehow. Has USB input.