Wharfedale Pro Titan 8 PA speakers

Guest niterida

Guest niterida

Anybody have any first  hand experience with these speakers ? I am looking at running 5 of them for my LCR and surrounds in my home theatre.

I currently have Behringer B215XL PA's as my L&R and love them but they are too big to fit where they need to go.

Will 5 x 8" Wharfedales running from a 5x100wpc Rotel amp give me the same experience (volume) as running the 2 Behringers and 3 x  normal 6" bookshelves ?

Specs of the Wharfedale :

Loudspeaker Type: 8" 2-way
Frequency Response (+/–3dB): 70 - 20kHz
Sensitivity (1W@1M): 96dB
Peak SPL: 124dB
HF Coverage (H x V): 90˚ x 60˚
System Impedance: 8 ohm
POWER (WATTS) Continuous: 150W
Music: 300W
Peak: 600W
LF DRIVER Size: 203mm/ 8"
Coil Size: 38.86mm / 1.53"
HF DRIVER/ HORN Compression Driver
Coil Size: 25mm/1"
Exit Size: 30mm/1.2"
Diaphragm Material: Cloth
HF Driver Protection: Bulb
Long-Throw EQ Compensation: N/A
Horn Type: EWG™ - Elliptical Waveguide
Throat Size: 25mm/1"
CROSSOVER Type/Frequency/Filter: 2-way 2.4KHz / Linkwitz-Riley

Edited by niterida

Guest niterida
1 hour ago, jamiebosco said:

They should do well - if you like the sound of them. The price is very good for and 8" + horn loaded compression driver with 96dB 1w/1m sensitivity. Can you listen to them before purchasing?

I hope they do sound good - I have just bought a secondhand pair for $250 - they are coming form the UK so won't be here for a few weeks. If they sound as good as I hope I will buy the other 3 new for $540 or I may move my screen and buy the 12" version. If not I will probably buy a 3rd Behringer and just use the Wharfedales as surrounds.

Unfortunately living 400kms north of Perth leaves little chance of auditioning any speaker ?

14 hours ago, niterida said:

I hope they do sound good - I have just bought a secondhand pair for $250 - they are coming form the UK so won't be here for a few weeks. If they sound as good as I hope I will buy the other 3 new for $540 or I may move my screen and buy the 12" version. If not I will probably buy a 3rd Behringer and just use the Wharfedales as surrounds.

Unfortunately living 400kms north of Perth leaves little chance of auditioning any speaker ?

Take a plunge at that price. With two speakers you’ll need to find another for centre but if it sounds good it’s a win on the right path for you. I’ve gone thru a similar situation but took the plunge. 

Guest niterida

Got them today and they sound every bit as good as my Behringer 215XL's.

And much better than my Mordaunt Short speakers I was running.

I think its the compression driver tweeter that I like. I have read that they are one of the better tweeter options for Home Theatre

Ordering another 3 to make the full surround set :)

• 8 months later...

I just found this thread now, but I've got a pair of these as outdoor rugged lightweight party speakers for smaller DJ gigs. They are durable, portable and sound fine for their class of device.

Mostly running them with subwoofers, but sometimes alone, with various class D amps. They are quite efficient so deliver a fair bit of volume off small amps.

But you've had yours for a while now and know this already ?