15 hours ago, krisk321 said:

hi all, im looking at adding 2 active subwoofers (and EQ'ing them) into my 2.0 signal chain which is currently:

Source --> DAC > Pre Amp > Amp > Front L/R Speakers. 

i'd like to keep my DAC and Pre Amp as i like the SQ i'm getting. 

is it right that using this minidsp SHD i can insert it into the signal chain between my source and DAC and then just connect the subwoofer direct into the SHD. 

is this the best way / best product to use for this use case at the moment?

also, how does volume control work , do you need to set it on the pre-amp then SHD and source or just 1 or 2 out of these 3 devices?

Yeh you would only get the SHD if you removed the DAC and PRE from your system which it sounds like you dont want to do and given you haven't mentioned Dirac I can assume this isn't a feature you are after either and one of the main reasons you would get one of these.

This thread maybe more applicable to your needs, @Snoopy8 is the master of integrating subs for 2ch.

• Like 1
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hiya,   The SHD is NOT the device you want since it is essentially a dac and pre-amp in addition to digital x/over and dirac room correction.  You really should consider simplifying you

Much written on Dirac Live on StereoNet if you have a good look as you have no doubt found.  This thread has a bunch of useful stuff that is relevant well beyond NAD application:  I sense everyo

I imagine that it falls even shorter on the third given that it has no DAC chip 😵  

22 hours ago, krisk321 said:

hi all, im looking at adding 2 active subwoofers (and EQ'ing them) into my 2.0 signal chain which is currently:

Source --> DAC > Pre Amp > Amp > Front L/R Speakers. 

i'd like to keep my DAC and Pre Amp as i like the SQ i'm getting. 

is it right that using this minidsp SHD i can insert it into the signal chain between my source and DAC and then just connect the subwoofer direct into the SHD. 

is this the best way / best product to use for this use case at the moment?

also, how does volume control work , do you need to set it on the pre-amp then SHD and source or just 1 or 2 out of these 3 devices?

I answered your PM before I saw this.  There are a number of levels of complexity to integrating dual subs:

1. Simple integration of dual subs by adjusting phase and volume by ear; easy to do, need lots of trial & error to position subs, to get good results
  2. Step 1 + use Dirac
  3. Use MSO to integrate subs, the  use Dirac.

6 hours ago, Lil Caesar said:

Hiya,

The SHD is NOT the device you want since it is essentially a dac and pre-amp in addition to digital x/over and dirac room correction. 

You really should consider simplifying your setup and GET the SHD - I did.  I was running a hi-end integrated amp and separate dac before I adopted room eq via the SHD and I don't regret the change.  The improvement from proper room correction and eq far outweighed my initial subjective equipment preferences.

SHD Studio is all digital, its DSP engine decent.  SHD has analog as well.  It will be a shock to many people, but miniDSP boxes are built to budget and the analog output stages are cheap and not very good.  Yes, room correction has covered up any shortfall. 

I suspect the SHD Studio with old setup will easily beat the SHD in sound quality.

6 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Yeh you would only get the SHD if you removed the DAC and PRE from your system which it sounds like you dont want to do and given you haven't mentioned Dirac I can assume this isn't a feature you are after either and one of the main reasons you would get one of these.

This thread maybe more applicable to your needs, @Snoopy8 is the master of integrating subs for 2ch.

Thank you for the pat on the back. 

On 09/04/2021 at 10:19 PM, Snoopy8 said:

I answered your PM before I saw this.  There are a number of levels of complexity to integrating dual subs:

1. Simple integration of dual subs by adjusting phase and volume by ear; easy to do, need lots of trial & error to position subs, to get good results
  2. Step 1 + use Dirac
  3. Use MSO to integrate subs, the  use Dirac.

SHD Studio is all digital, its DSP engine decent.  SHD has analog as well.  It will be a shock to many people, but miniDSP boxes are built to budget and the analog output stages are cheap and not very good.  Yes, room correction has covered up any shortfall. 

I suspect the SHD Studio with old setup will easily beat the SHD in sound quality.

Thank you for the pat on the back. 

I'm a MiniDSP user of many years and, yes, the basic models to have poorer DAC specs than many separate DACs.  But does this mean they sound significantly worse?  I'm not convinced that they do, even allowing for the possible masking benefit of the DSP.  The sound of DACs is an area with a wide variety of opinions 🙂

The SHD line has a better performing DAC and output stage (output impedance is FINALLY <560ohms!!) and so should be absolutely comparable with a mid-level DAC, IMO.   When you add the streaming, crossover, EQ and Dirac features into the equation there's nothing like it anywhere near the price.

3 minutes ago, RoHo said:

I'm a MiniDSP user of many years and, yes, the basic models to have poorer DAC specs than many separate DACs.  But does this mean they sound significantly worse?

I recently made 2 changes to my system ... from using a 10x10HD with analogue in and analogue out (so running at 48kHz):

1. to using an A2D converter on my phono stage - so I could use the digital input of the 10x10HD (so now running at 96kHz)
  2. to then changing to a nanoDIGI 2x8 (also running at 96kHz) - which required me to buy 4x external DACs.  I chose Topping E30s.

Both changes made the system sound better - iow (not surprisingly, given miniDSP pricing) the external converters were better than those used in the 10x10HD.

Andy

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, andyr said:

I recently made 2 changes to my system ... from using a 10x10HD with analogue in and analogue out (so running at 48kHz):

1. to using an A2D converter on my phono stage - so I could use the digital input of the 10x10HD (so now running at 96kHz)
  2. to then changing to a nanoDIGI 2x8 (also running at 96kHz) - which required me to buy 4x external DACs.  I chose Topping E30s.

Both changes made the system sound better - iow (not surprisingly, given miniDSP pricing) the external converters were better than those used in the 10x10HD.

Andy

I totally understand your progression there, Andy.

I would like to upgrade from my 2x4HD to a 3/4 way MiniDSP system but what I want is an upgraded 10x10 with the newer DSP and software from the 2x4HD and the better DACs from the SHD.   I'm not holding my breath as it seems the streaming products are the companies main focus.

9 hours ago, RoHo said:

I'm a MiniDSP user of many years and, yes, the basic models to have poorer DAC specs than many separate DACs.  But does this mean they sound significantly worse?  I'm not convinced that they do, even allowing for the possible masking benefit of the DSP.  The sound of DACs is an area with a wide variety of opinions 🙂

The SHD line has a better performing DAC and output stage (output impedance is FINALLY <560ohms!!) and so should be absolutely comparable with a mid-level DAC, IMO.   When you add the streaming, crossover, EQ and Dirac features into the equation there's nothing like it anywhere near the price.

I took a similar line with the Behringer DCX2496, thinking it was similar to the miniDSP 2X4HD, with lots of people using it and used extensively in pro audio.  It was used to drive SGR CX3Bs (not exactly entry level active speakers !) and dual subs.  Until the Behringer Mods were put in, I did not realise how limiting the existing opamps were.

Sorry, but no way the SHD Studio is comparable to a mid level DAC.  A DAC's SQ is determined by its power supply, output stages and DAC chip and the SHD Studio falls short with the first 2.  I agree Dirac makes a big difference and makes the SHD line good value.

Edited by Snoopy8
Wrongly referenced Studio
7 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Sorry, but no way the SHD Studio is comparable to a mid level DAC.  A DAC's SQ is determined by its power supply, output stages and DAC chip and the SHD Studio falls short with the first 2.

I imagine that it falls even shorter on the third given that it has no DAC chip 😵

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
59 minutes ago, DSK said:

I made a mistake referring to the SHD Studio.  The SHD has the AKM 4490EQ DAC chip...  Corrected my post.

• Like 1