MiniDSP SHD Users Rejoice

A quick note for any other SHD users out there that MinDSP just released a firmware upgrade that fixes two regular gripes:  the display now turns off after 30 seconds (rather than permanently on) and they have introduced an ability to turn the device off without unplugging it.

There is also an update to the Volumio Plugin that fixes a bug that stopped the SHD playing happily with Roon on some file resolutions.  While not yet formally Roon certified the SHD is proving a very solid Roon end point - certainly up there on sound quality on its own, with MinDSP EQ and Dirac Live an added bonus.  Now the SHD resolution bug is fixed I don't need to switch back to my ultraRendu for those files.  It might shortly be surplus to requirements.

Gibbo

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, lenticularis said:

Presumably there must be an option to switch off that display after 30s as a selectable feature

Welcome to the SHD club!  The option exists in the latest versions of the firmware to dim or turn-off - it isn't in the web interface, but in the SHD plugin interface under Preferences from memory.  I ended up setting mine to Dim as it otherwise turns off during listening and I use it as master volume-- but even at its dimest mine isn't particularly dim.

What set up are you using it in?

Gibbo

Hi Gibbo,

Thanks for your assistance.

I'm streaming 16/44.1 FLACs from home-rips or Tidal.

Current 'reversionary' DAC is a Schiit Modi 3 connected using coax, then into my home-assembled Stereo Coffee LDR pre-, then Gamut D200 Mk3 dual mono (200W into 8Ohms), then Sonus Faber Concerto Homes.

Formerly using an Auralic Aries (Femto/LPSU version) into USB-only Gieseler Klein III with top model Kraftwerk LPSU. I miss the extra quality of the Klein III and if funds permit will eventually buy a 3-input Gieseler DAC, however SQ is pretty good for now.

I've only done a first matrix measurement with the UMIK for a fairly tight listening position. Dirac has given a little tighter base and perhaps a little more depth but it's incremental only. No curve copied to share here as yet. Lots more experimenting to do.

I'm computer-literate, but had no luck getting Volumio to recognise an attempted NFS mount of my QNAP NAS.

Loaded MinimServer onto the NAS and using Linn Kazoo to access the NAS library off my iPad. I think Volumio pretty much sucks compared with Auralic's Lightning DS or Kazoo!

Have also fed the Aries into the SHD's USB input but that's an expensive solution in terms of locked-up asset value!

Haven't explored the SHD's own PEQ either. Doco is less than comprehensive.

Any advice welcomed!

20200723_161522_choices.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks @cazzesman  - I have been eyeing one of these off for my second system since they were announced.  This is the first review I have seen and a great introduction to the SHD -Studio as 90% of it is about the shared functionality, and 10% about the amp stage.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lenticularis said:

Any advice welcomed!

Much written on Dirac Live on StereoNet if you have a good look as you have no doubt found.  This thread has a bunch of useful stuff that is relevant well beyond NAD application: 

I sense everyone has their own approach to learning and with a device as flexible as the SHD and a computer literate background allow some time for learning as the results are rewarding.  I have been through multiple iterations and, if I were to start again, this is what I would do (but I note this is just what worked for me after a few false starts):

• Certainly start with Dirac - I would first try and create a curve that matches the natural response of you speakers with the lumps and bumps taken out.  Just start with a copy of the Dirac Live Standard curve, or anything else you have, drag it around on the Dirac Live curve fitting screen to fit the 'natural' measured curve.  Then save it and take a look at the file in a text editor (it is easy to read) and tidy it up as you like.  I created a spreadsheet to help plot and generate curves.  Loading and saving curves in Dirac is easy.
  • Then apply that and see if it makes a difference just with Dirac ironing out the lumps - try it with Dirac applied over the whole frequency range, and also with the top curtain pulled back to, say, 2kHz, 1kHz and as low as 200Hz.  Many have found it better not to let Dirac play in the higher frequencies - but will be room / system dependent.
  • That gives you basic room correction around the systems / speakers natural profile.  From there you have the basis to start boosting bass etc. to see if you prefer the system with Dirac both correcting for room AND changing the overall system sound profile.  In my case I have Dirac limited to max 200Hz, just tidying up the very bottom end, and also with a couple of minor bass boost presets. 
  • There are many curves discussed and offered on the web, just note that some are meant for just low frequency but don't say so and still include a flat curve from 500Hz up - that screwed me up for a while (which is why I would increment from the speakers 'natural' curve to make sure I had a solid starting point).
  • If you are up to it, also useful to use REW to take a look at the output the with and without Dirac, and different Dirac curves.  It is easy to do with the SHD as REW input signal goes straight to SHD across the same USB to PC connection you use to talk to the SHD.

Don't be spooked by the inbuilt 'back-end' PEQ etc. in the SHD..  For most uses Dirac optimisation will do a better job than manual adjustments.  Just remember the PEQ etc. settings are tied to the 4 presets, as are the Dirac curves - and that the PEQ etc. are always on for a Preset, and Dirac applied on top of that (if you have it turned on).  So lots of scope for experimentation.  The other useful thing about the PEQ section is that it draws clear graphs of what it is doing that help you understand teh different EQ types,, Q Factors etc. -- so keep Preset 4 free from normal listening and have a good play with the PEQ / X-Over controls to get some idea of what they can do.  You aren't going to break anything and it is a bit of fun learning.

At the pointy end I use the SHD back-end for sub X-Over, but nothing else.  I have done measurements in REW, exported its suggested PEQ settings and imported into the SHD PEQ, and Dirac has always done a better job (smoother measured curve, but more importantly better in listening).

On your other notes.  I don't like Volumio either - I did manage to get it to talk to my ASUSTOR NAS, but it wasn't stable and kept losing the library.  And I did the locked up asset thing with an ultraRendu into SHD.  But I am a committed Roon user and found the SHD more than equal to the ultraRendu as a network end point so ultraRendu has gone now. Roon manages local music library, NAS and Tidal leaving SHD effectively as pre-amp plus EQ.

On the Klein DAC their are some good USB to TOSLINK / Optical adapters around.  I used (and think I still have) a Peachtree X1 when I first went digital.  That into my AudioNote DAC (Coax only) was well ahead of the Schiit Modi I had at the time.

Hope that helps.  Enjoy!
Gibbo

• Like 3

9 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Unless you are very sure about what you are doing.... Don't.

Ajust the target curve in Dirac Live to your preferences.... and let it correct you to that target.

No, I haven't been tempted really, however I saw some reference to that and thought I had missed any doco, hence my comment.

I purchased the SHD Studio purely for its Dirac capabilities and that's what I'll familiarise myself with.

On 25/07/2020 at 12:28 PM, gibbo9000 said:

Much written on Dirac Live on StereoNet if you have a good look as you have no doubt found.  This thread has a bunch of useful stuff that is relevant well beyond NAD application: 

I sense everyone has their own ...this is what I would do ...

Hope that helps.  Enjoy!
Gibbo

Gibbo,

Thanks very much for your informative reply and staged approach.

I have certainly been studying the NAD C258 thread and almost bought one, however the killer for me was the inability to use an independent DAC in the chain, a real boo-boo on NAD's part I think not to supply a digital output.

Re the Peachtree X1 I actually require SPDIF (Coax or TOSLINK) to USB, not the reverse.  I have ordered a very cheap unit, just to try it: the UX1 DAC at HiFimeDIY. It seems too good to be true at the price, and probably is!

cheers,
Dave

Edited by lenticularis
UX1 comment

I’ve had frustrations with my SHD Studio in terms of what appears to be flaky connectivity and intermittent remote connectivity.

This morning I powered everything up and the remote would not talk to the SHD, nor in fact would the SHD respond to the front control knob. I muted the amp and had to cycle the SHD twice by unplugging it and powering up again. Since the third power up it seems to have been behaving itself.

Twice before it decided to reduce volume when left to its own devices and didn’t respond to remote volume-up attempts. 

Volumio continues to refuse to mount my NAS music library but using Linn’s Kazoo I can access my Minimserver-catalogued library and play through that. Volumio works fine with Tidal although it’s so slow compared with Lightning DS on the Aries.

I had another measuring session yesterday, this time using a different DAC in the chain,  a humbly-priced Topping E30.

As expected, slightly more familiarity with the Dirac measurement plots, reveals that the room is as problematic to the left channel as I thought.

My Sonus Faber Concerto Home speakers also have nothing below about 40Hz.

Pics and more to follow...I'm being called to eat.

0727_1-DiracStd.jpg

0727-DiracStd_corrected.jpg

Edited by lenticularis
Teaser pics!
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, lenticularis said:

I’ve had frustrations with my SHD Studio in terms of what appears to be flaky connectivity and intermittent remote connectivity

That sounds disappointing.  Mine is pretty much rock solid.  Is there any chance some other remote or IR signal could be interfering with the remote SHD remote - or you accidentally moved it from inside Volumio??

Good to hear you are making progress with measurements.  Looks like you should really be able to hear the difference between the natural speakers, and with the Dirac curve applied.  That is a lot change in the 400 - 2,000 Hz range IMHO.

Gibbo

35 minutes ago, gibbo9000 said:

That sounds disappointing.  Mine is pretty much rock solid.  Is there any chance some other remote or IR signal could be interfering with the remote SHD remote - or you accidentally moved it from inside Volumio??

That's what I was going to suggest.

Try it in a dark room.... if it works flawless, then you know what the issue is.  :)

• Like 1

Hi Gibbo, 

Yes the SHD has been not as reliable as I would want and expect. 

Yesterday I made a variation on the Dirac Standard correction, and have loaded 4 filters into the SHD.

1. Dirac Std - full range

2. Dirac Std - right curtain at 205Hz

3. 'DiracBump' Some lift to get closer to speakers natural response between 480-2000Hz, rt curtain at 2kHz.

4. 'DiracBump', full range

1. Is definitely not to my taste. I'm changing between 2 and 3 and I feel 2 suits best. It's still no more than a relatively subtle change, however bass is better, voice presence lifts slightly, and there's even more separation of instruments than my high baseline.

Listening most recently with the SHD as streamer, I'm pretty impressed at its performance.

These are early days in my DL journey but looks like it's been a good decision. If the Studio connectivity continues to vary then I'll contact miniDSP.

Pic 1 shows the prox of the LH spkr to the stub wall. I've recently moved both speakers forward so they now sit pretty much inline with the front of the storage unit.

IMG_20190912_193629.jpg

0727_3-DiracBump_480-2kbumpCurtain2kHz.jpg

0727_DiracStd_corr_Spread.jpg

0727-Centre.jpg

0727_farleft.jpg

Edited by lenticularis
  • Like 1

Those curves make sense as a set of experiments.  The Dirac standard curve applied to my system made some unexpected changes (that I didn't like) that a few here helped me better understand. 

The bump looks a bit different to anything I have seen before - makes me wonder if it might be worth trying a curve that is roughly +4db up to 1kHz and joins the natural curve there.  I would think Dirac would certainly tame the left speaker location.

Thehe one time early on I did confuse the SHD (it swapped channels under Preset 4 - and not because I set it to do that) I did need to totally power it down to get it back (rather than its software restart).  And if it does have problems miniDSP are pretty good to deal with.  I had  Umik-1 that was giving weird readings and they didn't hesitate to replace it.

• Like 1

Hey guys, I just realised this thread exists, awesome! I am an avid user of Minidsp's and Dirac corrections.

Sorry to sidetrack, but I just posted a WTB for a MiniDSP SHD (the non studio version). I have the studio one (all digital), which I bought with the idea of using it with better DACs than those integrated in the non studio version, but am now looking to declutter my cabinet.

Anyone selling or interested in swapping by any chance?

2 hours ago, gibbo9000 said:

Those curves make sense as a set of experiments.  The Dirac standard curve applied to my system made some unexpected changes (that I didn't like) that a few here helped me better understand. 

The bump looks a bit different to anything I have seen before - makes me wonder if it might be worth trying a curve that is roughly +4db up to 1kHz and joins the natural curve there.  I would think Dirac would certainly tame the left speaker location.

Thehe one time early on I did confuse the SHD (it swapped channels under Preset 4 - and not because I set it to do that) I did need to totally power it down to get it back (rather than its software restart).  And if it does have problems miniDSP are pretty good to deal with.  I had  Umik-1 that was giving weird readings and they didn't hesitate to replace it.

Hi Gibbo,

Yes, I can try that variation.  As for the bump being unusual, it's the work of a Dirac-noob! 

Good to know that miniDSP are responsive.

I must check out REW as you suggest.

Incidentally, do you have L and R speakers marked as Dirac1 and Dirac2, as I find in my version (Dirac 3 I think it is)?

Cheers,

David

Edited by lenticularis

Well loving my SHD and it is without doubt the most adult upgrade I have ever made.  No visual or brand associated bragging rights.  Just pure sound ?.  Driving Wharfedale Lintons powered by ice power amps from emotiva.848A49B9-B1CF-4279-91D3-484CD7B944AD.thumb.jpeg.43dd9d004ad4b4e6fd30d5f2fc4c0074.jpeg

• Like 2

image.png.a36cf03666ed1dec1d117ca6d39298f8.png

I had a lot of fun yesterday playing with target curves, after a very helpful SNA member sent me a spreadsheet of his own exploration.  The graph above shows a few variations (!).

My Sonus Faber Concerto Homes have nothing below 40Hz and a definite rise from about 480 - 1800 Hz, as approximated in the Excel curve 'NATURAL'.  Looks like I should get a subwoofer but the room is not conducive to easy placement of that.

I have currently settled on the curve labelled 'Nat-1kFlat' which was roughly suggested by @gibbo9000 and my system is sounding great, although the SHD Studio still has an annoying tendency to lock up and then not respond to the remote (remote has been checked and it's not at fault), nor the front control knob. 

It needs a hard reset, sometimes several times before it seems to act normally. Just when I think it's behaving it will lock again. As it stands I can live with that because I am not using its volume control, but of course it prevents me switching Filters, DL on/off etc. I'm still talking with miniDSP and they suspect the flash memory at this stage.

Thanks again @gibbo9000 and others for detailed and very helpful advice. 

Edit: looks like I need to add a right curtain at 10kHz with that Nat-1kFlat target.

0803-2-DStd-Rt400.jpg

0803-4-Nat-1kFlat.jpg

Edited by lenticularis

• 1 month later...

MiniDSP supplied me with a replacement SHD Studio for the original that intermittently froze.

I'm slowly tweaking target curves and enjoying the experimentation.

As of today I've integrated Audirvana as a library access and replay tool, thereby bypassing the crummy Volumio app that is bundled with miniDSP SHD streamers. It's so much better having a responsive app like Audirvana and one that accesses my NAS library much more easily than attempts with Volumio.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Does anyone know if this can be used to create some sort of dynamic loudness correction?

Interesting question.  It is not something I have tried to use - but a couple of top of mind thoughts.

First, I am assuming by Loudness you mean is what I would describe as the old Loudness type control that would boost lower frequencies as volume lowered.  In its own right the Compression control has no frequency based input to its control.  But it is set on the output channels on the SHD so can be set on some not others.  So, in my set up with mains on channel 1&2 out and subs on 3&4, I could differentially apply compression to mains versus subs - provided sub X-Over somewhere near the loudness cut in / cut out frequency.  The piece I haven't worked out is how to do that to emulate Loudness - feels something like compressing bass (sub channel in my case) from some lowish volume up..  Not quite sure how it would impact across low and high volume passages in music . .could create some weird dynamic aretfacts - but depends on whether the compression action is attached to the 'position of the volume knob' vs the 'dynamic amplitude of the output' if that makes sense .  Anyway - a thought in response to the question!

In practice I guess most would emulate the Loudness in static form using different Dirac curves on the 4 Presets - that is what I do.

Will muse a bit more and may get tempted to do a bit of experimenting.

Gibbo

19 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

I notice that SHD has some sort of compressor function whereby it can reduce gain as volume approaches a defined level. 

Does anyone know if this can be used to create some sort of dynamic loudness correction?

My miniDSP 2x4 HD that I use in conjunction with SHD Studio also has the Compressor function.

I very much presume it is Compression and not Dynamic LOUDNESS EQ based on the attenuation level of a miniDSP.

Edited by Satanica

17 hours ago, gibbo9000 said:

In practice I guess most would emulate the Loudness in static form using different Dirac curves on the 4 Presets - that is what I do.

Will muse a bit more and may get tempted to do a bit of experimenting.

Any curve with the miniDSP Dirac processors is just a curve and not a Dynamic LOUDNESS EQ but your idea could be quite usable in practice.

With less than a week of operation so far I'm just applying the default Dirac curve to my miniDSP SHD Studio.

I still found it too bass shy dry at low to medium volume levels which I expected to be the case.

So, just as before I'm still using JRiver MC's digital volume control and LOUDNESS functionality with the volume always at 0.0db on my miniDSP SHD Studio.

Edited by Satanica
  • Like 1

• Volunteer
29 minutes ago, Satanica said:

My miniDSP 2x4 HD that I use in conjunction with SHD Studio also has the Compressor function.

I very much presume it is Compression and not Dynamic LOUDNESS EQ based on the attenuation level of a miniDSP.

What I imagined was that you could set a series of PEQ filters and then apply the compression to each one individually

So, below the compression threshold you might have say, 3dB of boost at one frequency, 2dB at another etc. Then as you increase the volume and the compressor kicks in, the level of boost gets gradually reduced to zero at your reference level