You cover your panel TV?

So, new preamp is coming and the Audirvana remote app is downloaded so the TV doesn't need to be switched on anymore to navigate. But the 63" LED TV is mounted on the wall between the speakers.

What do you guys use to cover your TV's that isn't bad-ass ugly but improved the sound?

Thx

Edited by Winno

On 29/02/2020 at 9:22 AM, Mr 57 said:

When a session turns into a serious listen....definitely worth covering the TV.

9614F666-5DCD-4BB0-89C5-5ADCF81B8444.jpeg

This made me think of some rather thick and heavy felt automotive carpet I have on a roll in the garage. 

Might give it a shot and see how it goes.

Thx

So far only with a sheet. Am working my way through Sound Reproduction by Floyd and Toole first before l begin room treatments. A very interesting read. 

The sheet is interesting. Zero acoustic benefit but helps with imaging as for me seeing my room reflected in the blank TV affects my spatial perception of the sound stage which is occupying some of the same space as the reflection. Shut my eyes and image is better, as is putting a sheet over the TV. 

The book has heaps of blind test data in tightly controlled test conditions with lay participants and acoustic professionals. Book, unlike most is also almost entirely on small spaces such as domestic rooms. 

Front wall absorption behind the space between the speakers is an area the book recommends. 

Where it gets more interesting is the subject of comb filtering and first reflection points. And how space and ambience relates to imaging in small rooms such as those in houses compared with performance spaces. 

Edited by DrSK

13 minutes ago, muon* said:

What about that 50mm Martini absorb stuff?

I'm still learning up on this stuff for audio on residential rooms, but have 20 years in acoustics and design of products. 

I don't plan on going less than 100mm for absorption. While the NRC doesn't change much between them, the absorption spectrum does. NRC just covers four frequency bands, the ones most critical to speech in an office environment. 

Pulling out the mids but leaving a whole lot of low will just leave unbalanced reflections.

On 28/02/2020 at 9:16 PM, Winno said:

So, new preamp is coming and the Audirvana remote app is downloaded so the TV doesn't need to be switched on anymore to navigate. But the 63" LED TV is mounted on the wall between the speakers.

What do you guys use to cover your TV's that isn't bad-ass ugly but improved the sound?

Thx

I suppose covering your TV might improve the sound, but how are you going to see the picture??

Cheers Keith

• Like 3
  • Haha 1